turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Irish Setter?

Started by catman529, March 07, 2016, 12:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Need new boots before turkey season, have my eye on the Irish Setter Havoc 7" or 9" boot. Bout done with rubber boots, sure they are great for creeks, but I tear them up too quick. I've heard the Havoc are real pliable and good for stalking because they're quiet. Also says they are waterproof, so I should be able to handle the wet grass and puddles? Does anyone have any recommendations for other brands or other boots along the same line? I want to make sure I got something good before I spend 200 on a pair of boots.

bammerslammer 50

I can't comment on the havocs, but my vapertrek snake boots are awesome. I put a lot of miles on them last year and so far they're holding up great. I've been in water almost up to the top multiple times and the haven't leaked yet. Can't comment on the snake proof part yet and hope I don't have to.

Dr Juice

I do not have any experience with that model, but I believe Irish Setters are the best boots on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

I'm pretty sure Irish Setter boots are made by Redwing boot company. Redwing makes a great work boot.

nitro

Russell Turkey Hunter Lites.  The initial price is steep for some, however over the 10 year ( minimum) life of the boots makes the Russells the best boots I have ever owned. I'm 11 years into my second pair. Amortize the cost of the boots into the comfort and quality of the footwear and you are money ahead.

Custom made in Wisconsin to your foot and leg measurements. ( not some generic mold).

Don't skrimp on your footwear. Boot leather kills a lot of Gobblers.

www.russellmoccasin.com
Royal Slam 2008

vagrousehunter

Quote from: bammerslammer 50 on March 07, 2016, 05:07:45 AM
I can't comment on the havocs, but my vapertrek snake boots are awesome. I put a lot of miles on them last year and so far they're holding up great. I've been in water almost up to the top multiple times and the haven't leaked yet. Can't comment on the snake proof part yet and hope I don't have to.

I have the Vaperteks and they just went through a season of Applachian grouse hunting.  They haven't leaked and they are light and very comfortable.

kyturkeyhunter4

If there Irish Settler there a great boot that's the only hunting boots I've every used and never had any problems out of any of them. And I'm pretty rough on my boots

southern_leo

I also have vapertreks I wear almost daily for work. They have held up to heavy abuse for nearly a year so far. The waterproofing seems to be as good as any other non rubber boot. I've stepped in puddles up over the sole and nothing came through, but not sure I'd just stand in water with them, don't want to test this while at work. I like them well enough I do intend to buy the snake boots version for hunting. They fit like tennis shoes right out of the box.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Good to read this thread.  I have some Vapor Treks still in the box.  I need to get them out very soon and wear them around a bit to see if they need a break-in.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Dr Juice

Quote from: captpete on March 07, 2016, 06:58:34 AM
I'm pretty sure Irish Setter boots are made by Redwing boot company. Redwing makes a great work boot.
Correct.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: catman529 on March 07, 2016, 12:58:11 AM
Need new boots before turkey season, have my eye on the Irish Setter Havoc 7" or 9" boot. Bout done with rubber boots, sure they are great for creeks, but I tear them up too quick. I've heard the Havoc are real pliable and good for stalking because they're quiet. Also says they are waterproof, so I should be able to handle the wet grass and puddles? Does anyone have any recommendations for other brands or other boots along the same line? I want to make sure I got something good before I spend 200 on a pair of boots.

I'd recommend a pair of the cabelas brand rubber boots if tearing them is your fear. They carry a lifetime warranty and to my knowledge, it's practically unconditional. Same for their leather boots. I'll never buy anything else until that warranty goes away.

houagie

Irish setters are great hunting boots....I had an old pair for over 10 years and would of bought another set but they quit making the model I had.

kevin2

My Havocs are the best boots I've ever owned, and that was straight out of the box. MEGA comfortable from the get go. I've had this pair for a few years now & they still have very new looking soles, very durable AND I've hunted hard the last few years too. Something like 70-80 days of hunting with several miles of hiking on all those outings.

I was recently trying to find another pair of boots for colder weather, and I tried everything, looking for the magic bullet. BUT, I ended up going with Havocs again with more insulation. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY I BOTHERED LOOKING FOR SOMETHING BETTER! To me, it boiled down to comfort.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

JHoyle

I have a pair of havocs and love them. Also have two pair of Irish setter work boots. I'm hell on boots and these are the most comfortable and durable boots I've ever worn.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.