OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fed HW question

Started by buzzardroost, March 05, 2016, 08:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzardroost

With the Federal HW 7's, do you need a certain non ported choke due to the Flite control wad? I'm shooting hevi 7's now out of a Pure Gold .570. Just wondering if I switched if I would most likely have to buy a choke too. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cluck

I would try the choke you now have. Pure gold makes a good choke. And your choke is about the right dia. for a twenty gauge. I asume your taking twenty gauge. I would not buy another choke until you try what you have. Hope it works good for you.      cluck

buzzardroost

Yes definitely talking 20 gauge

Philippe

A factory Remington super full is the ticket with those shells. That or if you can find some of the older Hastings around the .562 diameter range.

BDeal

Have you tried the Pure Gold .570? I just bought this choke for my sons 870 20 gauge to use with heavyweight#7s but haven't shot it yet.

Cleveland48

My 870 with .570 pure gold did in the 130's with those shells. Mine seemed a bit erratic, or possible different lot # shells. I love the federals, but hate them at the same time due to every box I buy shoots different. The pure gold is a good choke and should do fine.

buzzardroost

Quote from: BDeal on March 05, 2016, 09:55:54 PM
Have you tried the Pure Gold .570? I just bought this choke for my sons 870 20 gauge to use with heavyweight#7s but haven't shot it yet.
I haven't tried it with the Federal HW but I do get good patterns with the Hevi 7's and have killed numerous birds with it.

Cleveland48

I will say that pure gold .570 did a great job when I use to shoot the nitro 4x5x7's also. With the magnum blend heavy 13's it did somewhere around 100-110.

Fieldturkey

As far as the porting goes, my experience has been to use  non ported chokes with the Feds. However I have been working with JEBS a little with some chokes and Bobby assures me that the ports are not a problem with their 20 ga chokes. We will see.

mightyjoeyoung

My least favorable patterns with the federal heavyweight 7s came from the pure gold .670.  My best:  870 21" bbl-168 avg and perfectly even through a Carlson's unported  .575 and the Truglo SSX.  The SSX has both ports (at the very front edge of the choke) and linear raised ribs (think straight rifling) running the length of the parallel constriction portion of the choke.  The SSX shot INSANELY TIGHT patterns btw.  In my TC Encore, my worst pattern with the HWs was also in the PG .570 and the best were with the SSX.  The  Pure Gold  is a GREAT CHOKE-for non flight control wad loads.  I get great results with hevi 6s and 7s and very passable patterns to 35 with lead. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BDeal

My HW 7's out of an 870 didn't like the Pure Gold .570. I ordered the Carlson .575 non ported this morning.

Cleveland48

I think you will like that Carlson. I know I do mine. The pure gold just struggles with the flight control wad I guess. With other shells the pure gold is a great choke.

buzzardroost

Thanks guys. My season starts soon since I go to AL so I'll probably use the Hevi 7's I have this year and but a choke to do some testing when I see a good deal before next season.

WyoHunter

My Beretta likes  Carlson's .575 non ported and Fed 7's Hwt. Hevi 13 7's also shot well with the same choke in this gun.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Greg Massey

I tried to stay in the middle i'm using a Trulock 565 non-ported ..that way i can shoot any shell i want pretty much...