turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#4 shot???

Started by Trad1, March 05, 2016, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

I've got a bunch of dedicated turkey guns, my Ulti mag, I've used for almost 25 years w #4 Winchester supremes. They never haven't worked so I hadn't changed til last year. Tried longbeards, wasn't really fond of the extreme unforgiving pattern I was getting n switched back. My 11-87 is used by my daughter, also w Winchester #4s, that gun also has never once had them fail, thegun has been in use since 1987. SP 10 I have shoots #4s though because of the weight I don't use it much anymore. My turkey slayer is a toss up between 4s and 5s though I believe 5s may get the nod in this gun, once the 5s run out the 4s pattern so well they're getting used. My guns just seem to pattern 4s

maytom

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 05, 2016, 10:54:47 PM
Why would anyone still shoot lead 4's when hevi 6s hit with the same amount of kinetic energy and give you 25% more pellets?

The cost factor. Why spend almost $30.00 for a box of 5 shells, when you can get a box of 10 for $17.00? If you go to the pattern range and pattern your gun at various distances, you will end up shooting at the minimum 10 shells or more.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: maytom on March 06, 2016, 05:13:30 AM
Why would anyone still shoot lead 4's when hevi 6s hit with the same amount of kinetic energy and give you 25% more pellets?

The cost factor. Why spend almost $30.00 for a box of 5 shells, when you can get a box of 10 for $17.00? If you go to the pattern range and pattern your gun at various distances, you will end up shooting at the minimum 10 shells or more.

When you've got $1500 in a turkey gun, thousands between out of state licenses, leases, and gas costs, whats's $60 in ammo to shoot 8-10 turkeys and another $30.00 to check the zero on your gun after traveling? 

tomstopper

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 06, 2016, 06:57:20 AM

When you've got $1500 in a turkey gun, thousands between out of state licenses, leases, and gas costs, whats's $60 in ammo to shoot 8-10 turkeys and another $30.00 to check the zero on your gun after traveling?
:agreed: I also use small game loads at first at 10, 20, 30, & 40 yards when sighting in my red dot (especially after I figure out what she'll my gun and choke prefers and I am just checking to see that it's sighted in each year). After that, I use my turkey load at 20 & 40 yards to pattern. I don't think I ever shoot more than 4 shots to pattern.

dirtnap

Shot #4's for years out of the Mossberg 835.  It is a killer.  Switched to a 20 with HW 7's 3 years ago. 

And haven't looked back.

bbcoach

Quote from: bbcoach on March 05, 2016, 08:10:32 PM
Fortunately or Unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, technology has increased so much over the last twenty years that we have TOO MANY choices to hunt turkeys.  The invention of the 3 1/2" shell, tighter chokes, heavier than lead shot and tight turkey loads has caused us to believe more is better.  I killed my first bird at 29 yards with a 2 3/4", 1 1/2 oz. load of number 5's that I had reloaded on my MEC.  Since then, I bought into a 3 1/2" 835 with Hevi 7's and a .670 Pure Gold choke.  They both kill, just as dead, to 40 yards so do we really need this added technology?
Some say we buy into the "More is better technology" to be able to kill birds at further distances.  As for me, I still kill 95% of my birds at 20 to 25 yards and have never killed one beyond 40.  So I ask myself, "Why did I change?"  That is a VERY good question!

Gobble!

Started with 4s about 12 springs ago but will be using 9s this season.

Yoder409

Quote from: rem 300 on March 05, 2016, 09:56:11 PM
i really like the Winchester Longbeard #4's

+1

The ONLY way to go if you wanna shoot lead 4's these days, IMO.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

RS

Have always used copper coated #4s since I started turkey hunting about 25 years ago, mainly because that's what my Dad and brothers used and what we had and we all had no problem killing turkeys we shot at.  For the last 10 yrs used 3" Win HV #4s but ran out at the end of last spring.  Got some of the new HV # 4s but they didn't pattern anything like the old ones did. Recently bought some #4 Win Longbeards to see how they do before this season. 3" Mag Blends also pattern OK in my gun but do not hit POA like the Win #4s do.

Bowguy

The cost factor is part of the reason lots of guys don't switch but also the marketing is bs n has guys brainwashed imo. Think about something, if you have a load that patternd very well at 40 yards n less, good evenly distributed pattern w zero holes why on earth would someone need to "kill em deader" or "pattern em better"?
Doesn't make sense. Many guys don't hunt many other states or as I do hunt two but lives 5 miles from the border so gas is not an issue. Also most everyone I know for good reason hunts w an 835, fairly inexpensive gun that I feel has no equal except for perhaps some 10 gauges. Where I live leases are split among multiple guys n there's tons of state land, much mountainous n few climb it. Fairly inexpensive compared to the method described. That being said everyone has preferences to how they see things best. To each his own but the dead bird doesn't care how it got dead

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Bowguy on March 06, 2016, 08:52:15 AM

The cost factor is part of the reason lots of guys don't switch but also the marketing is bs n has guys brainwashed imo. Think about something, if you have a load that patternd very well at 40 yards n less, good evenly distributed pattern w zero holes why on earth would someone need to "kill em deader" or "pattern em better"?
Doesn't make sense. Many guys don't hunt many other states or as I do hunt two but lives 5 miles from the border so gas is not an issue. Also most everyone I know for good reason hunts w an 835, fairly inexpensive gun that I feel has no equal except for perhaps some 10 gauges. Where I live leases are split among multiple guys n there's tons of state land, much mountainous n few climb it. Fairly inexpensive compared to the method described. That being said everyone has preferences to how they see things best. To each his own but the dead bird doesn't care how it got dead

When I'm 1500 miles from home on a 3 state, 10 day trip I don't want to wonder if I've got enough KE to kill a bird hung up at 50-55 yards.

Sure, most of my birds are shot in the 25-35 yard range and I shoot some inside 15 each year but I want filled tags when time is of the essence and money (airfare, licenses, hotels)is heavily invested.  Whether I've got to bust some brush to kill one at 25 or have nothing but air between myself and a gobbler at 50, lead is not the load I want conducting those transactions.

Whether I'm shooting gobblers 10 minutes from my house or 2000 miles from home, the $9 Nitro I shoot out of my browning silver or $7 hevi-13 6 I shoot out of my 870 supermag is a negligible cost. 

I shot plenty of turkeys with lead as a kid and they all flopped.  They'd flop for 3-5 minutes if I let them. Birds shot with hevi-13, federal heavyweight and TSS don't flop nearly as much, if at all. I like em dead. Real dead.

Bowguy

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 06, 2016, 09:14:31 AM

When I'm 1500 miles from home on a 3 state, 10 day trip I don't want to wonder if I've got enough KE to kill a bird hung up at 50-55 yards.

Sure, most of my birds are shot in the 25-35 yard range and I shoot some inside 15 each year but I want filled tags when time is of the essence and money (airfare, licenses, hotels)is heavily invested.  Whether I've got to bust some brush to kill one at 25 or have nothing but air between myself and a gobbler at 50, lead is not the load I want conducting those transactions.

Whether I'm shooting gobblers 10 minutes from my house or 2000 miles from home, the $9 Nitro I shoot out of my browning silver or $7 hevi-13 6 I shoot out of my 870 supermag is a negligible cost. 

I shot plenty of turkeys with lead as a kid and they all flopped.  They'd flop for 3-5 minutes if I let them. Birds shot with hevi-13, federal heavyweight and TSS don't flop nearly as much, if at all. I like em dead. Real dead.
Dead is dead n Nitros have blown up many barrels so Id not use them if free. 40 yards is the max we can talk about here but on paper my guns pattern further, I just work em closer. God bless ya if you can spend a few grand to hunt each spring. Lots of guys can't

Bowguy

Quote from: Bowguy on March 06, 2016, 09:18:46 AM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 06, 2016, 09:14:31 AM

Dead is dead, the marketing messin w people's heads is key here, you cannot get extra dead. Death is final, there's no more. Nitros have blown up many barrels so Id not use them if free. 40 yards is the max we can talk about here but on paper my guns pattern further, I just work em closer. God bless ya if you can spend a few grand to hunt each spring. Lots of guys can't

Meadow Valley Man

I have very good results with Nitro #4's.  Forty yards and in.

tha bugman

Dang Longbeard 4's shot great for me yesterday.  Almost 200 at 40 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk