OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#4 shot???

Started by Trad1, March 05, 2016, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

So why would you choose to shoot #4's or #5's over #6 lead?  We are not trying to penetrate a large area of tissue, we are trying to put a pellet into the noggin' or spinal column...  (Not arguing, just trying to understand the thinking, and see if my own thinking is off-base)

Couple years ago, in the confusion of the early morning, I grabbed a handful of steel #2's (that I actually meant to give away as crap waterfowl loads).   I killed a bird at 35 yards that morning, and had no idea I had taken the wrong shells till I picked up my empty casing.  At the range most of us kill most of our birds (which is generally 30 yards or under for me), I am guessing that the loads we shoot make very little difference in the whole scheme of things...  I'd bet I would have killed that bird just as dead with #7.5 lead or #4 lead at that range; I certainly would not have picked #2 steel as my top choice though.

That being said, as few birds as I get an opportunity to shoot, I generally opt for 3" 1 5/8 oz #6 Hevi-shot.  It patterns tighter and carries more energy.  I do not care for the recoil (or the flinching) that comes with heavier loads, and that smaller payload patterns well out to 50 yards with a good choke (which is further than I have ever killed a bird).

If I misjudge a bird, or decide to stretch a shot just a bit, I like the idea that I will likely kill him.  I can shoot 3 birds per season here, and I will not be traveling out of state to shoot birds for some time, so a box of shells will last me 3 years or so if I manage to kill 3 birds a year (which I generally do not).  A box of Hevi-shot cost me less than the gas I use to drive up and "not" shoot a bird on most days...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.