turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#4 shot???

Started by Trad1, March 05, 2016, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkrem870

Started with a 20 ga with #6 lead. Moved to 12 gauge with lead 4's. Then to a 10 gauge with duplex loads. Heavier than lead loads followed and now I shoot a 20 gauge with TSS 9's. Can't beat toting a 5lb toothpick 20ga

PALongspur

My late father killed almost all of his turkeys (spring and fall) with Federal Premium 4s. I've got some of his stash left and they still pattern exceptionally out of his 870.

And yes, they'll do the deed well past 40 if you misjudge the yardage.

rem 300

Quote from: tha bugman on March 06, 2016, 11:21:29 AM
Dang Longbeard 4's shot great for me yesterday.  Almost 200 at 40 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a heck of a pattern with #4's!!! What gun/choke 3" or 3-1/2?

Gooserbat

Win Longbeards changed what is capable of doing with lead.  Sixes now do 230, fives hit 200 and fours are shooting 170.  Some people are exceeding those numbers and with no 4 shot your doing quite well at the 40 yard mark.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 06, 2016, 06:57:20 AM

Quote from: maytom on March 06, 2016, 05:13:30 AM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 05, 2016, 10:54:47 PM
Why would anyone still shoot lead 4's when hevi 6s hit with the same amount of kinetic energy and give you 25% more pellets?

The cost factor. Why spend almost $30.00 for a box of 5 shells, when you can get a box of 10 for $17.00? If you go to the pattern range and pattern your gun at various distances, you will end up shooting at the minimum 10 shells or more.

When you've got $1500 in a turkey gun, thousands between out of state licenses, leases, and gas costs, whats's $60 in ammo to shoot 8-10 turkeys and another $30.00 to check the zero on your gun after traveling?

will never spend 1500 on any kind of gun, or expensive out of state license. I have to work for a living, hunt with a 20ga 870 and a Mossberg 835.     lead has killed them for me for 40+ years
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Dtrkyman

Killed my first dozen or more bird with fours, used to think I would rather hit em with a few 4s than a bunch of 6s, made the switch to hevi 6s when Rem. first came out with it which was the best of both worlds, lot of thump and lots of hits.

The longbeard 4s look interesting to me with the patterns guys get.

silvestris

It just occurred to me that there are some people that I don't want hunting the turkeys I hunt with an attitude of "I travelled a long way and by God, I am going to kill something".
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

VaTuRkStOmPeR

When you're trying to kill one in all 49 states, you're not trying to have to come back to that state. The willingness to kill a 50 yard bird doesn't mean you have the attitude that "By God I'm going to kill something." You won't find me in a blind, you won't find me crawling with some dumbass fan in front of me and you won't find me shooting at a bird at a range my gun hasn't been patterned at. But I am there to punch the tag and I'll be damned if I'd ever shoot a shell that isn't going to help me achieve a kill that I find acceptable.

Gobble!

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 06, 2016, 04:37:03 PM
When you're trying to kill one in all 49 states, you're not trying to have to come back to that state. The willingness to kill a 50 yard bird doesn't mean you have the attitude that "By God I'm going to kill something." You won't find me in a blind, you won't find me crawling with some dumbass fan in front of me and you won't find me shooting at a bird at a range my gun hasn't been patterned at. But I am there to punch the tag and I'll be damned if I'd ever shoot a shell that isn't going to help me achieve a kill that I find acceptable.

Yep.

Bowguy

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 06, 2016, 04:37:03 PM
Not supposed to talk about shots longer than 40 cause it can lead to wounded game and to some it might be less sporting. Patterning your gun does little to show energy at a given distance. Many beginning type hunters may hear this n try. You think it's smart for new folks to shoot exteme range? Prob not, we certainly need to know our guns n pattern them. If the object is a bird in 49 states why not just shoot em w a slug gun, we can shoot them
Farther for sure. How bout a rifle? That'd be cool. Dead bird is a dead bird right? How bout for a challenge, the guys that go on these adventures, and I'll be honest I'd love to be one, but do it yourself. If you don't find the birds, get the land, no one to guide you to birds, call em yourself. Thatd actually matter. I'd bet most guys do this do it on paid for land where someone guides you to birds. I don't personally see satisfaction in that anymore than I see satisfaction in shooting game way out there. To each his own

VaTuRkStOmPeR

You're assumption would be false; most guys chasing a bird in all 49 want the satisfaction of facilitating and achieving their own kill.  I've never shot a bird with a guide, and neither has anyone I know chasing the national slam.   A lot of  the hunting is done on public land, especially out west, where you've spent hours studying maps to prepare yourself for the challenge of hunting foreign ground and only have limited time to punch your tag.  Occasionally you pay an outfitter a trespass fee to get your bird but there's no satisfaction in killing one that someone else called up.
It's funny to hear people draw such egregious assumptions thinking that chasing the hell out of turkeys means you're independently wealthy and pay guides for their services when really the opportunity to chase birds all over  the country is available to anyone willing to make the sacrifices and dedication required to do it.
I digress with this thread because there's a strong ideological difference emerging but would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the many misnomers that have materialized by presumptuous individuals.

Let's get back to shot sizes...

Dr Juice

Quote from: Cleveland48 on March 05, 2016, 11:46:48 PM
I think I killed my first 8 turkeys with the Remington duplex 4x6's. I actually really liked that load. It shot well out of my setup back then. Now I only use a 20 gauge so it's #7's for me.

I used 12g Rem Duplex 4X6s and they shot well. My luck they discontinued and then I went to Win Extended Range and they discontinued as well. Now I use 3" HS magnum blends.

Cleveland48

Quote from: mlisandro on March 06, 2016, 06:47:26 PM
I think I killed my first 8 turkeys with the Remington duplex 4x6's. I actually really liked that load. It shot well out of my setup back then. Now I only use a 20 gauge so it's #7's for me.

I used 12g Rem Duplex 4X6s and they shot well. My luck they discontinued and then I went to Win Extended Range and they discontinued as well. Now I use 3" HS magnum blends.

I just tried some magblends out of my 20 gauge setup this year they put up numbers in the 115 range. So I will keep them for a back up. I'm sure in a 12 gauge they are much better though.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Cleveland48 on March 06, 2016, 09:15:35 PM

Quote from: mlisandro on March 06, 2016, 06:47:26 PM

I just tried some magblends out of my 20 gauge setup this year they put up numbers in the 115 range. So I will keep them for a back up. I'm sure in a 12 gauge they are much better though.

That's a very good number assuming it's a 40-yd count which will result in a stone cold dead thunder chicken. Good luck with the 20g.

RutnNStrutn

I'm a #4 man, only because my gun has patterned a bit better with 4's than 5's. I'm always in search of the better choke/load combo, so that might change one day.