OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Maverick 88 or 870 20 ga?

Started by Lucky Clucker, March 05, 2016, 11:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Clucker

Deciding on getting a 20 ga. for my sons and I.what is the best one to use with TSS ?Gun and choke combo?
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

wvmntnhick

If it's coming out of my wallet, it'd be the 870. I'd also be looking for an older one if given the chance. Having said that, I've got no problems with mossberg in general but that M88 is a turd. Some guys have managed to have some good luck but I've also been at the shop when more than a few have been there for repairs. And by repairs I mean they were being sent back to mossberg. They're cheaper than the 500 for a reason. If it were me, I'd be looking at the 500 over either of them but again, that's me. My love for the 870 has faded greatly with the Remington buyout.

dutch@fx4

Stay away from the 88 get a 500 or a 870 .better yet get your boy a sa20. Thy are fantastic and kick a lot less than the pumps. Don't kid your self the 20g turkey loads kick pretty goid out of a pump gun even in 20g.  My girls are shooting the sa20 and love it even with magnum turkey loads and slugs .Dutch

wvmntnhick

I'll second the gas operated guns. Yet take a lot of the sting out of shooting for sure. I love a good gas operated gun. The inertia driven guns don't absorb as much of the punch as the gas guns but they're still slightly better. Personally, I prefer something other than an auto for kids but if you feed it only one round, it's as safe as a single shot.