OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Saturday Morning Surprise

Started by CoachHunter, March 05, 2016, 08:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachHunter

I have had 10-12 turkeys hanging around in my back yard the last couple of weeks. Three of these are nice gobblers I plan on hunting come March 15. Well today they added two more birds to the group. I guess best explanation is they escaped from someone's pen and joined the group? Tell me they won't try to mate please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldSchool

I've had a lot of critters in my yard over the years, but that would be a surprise, lol. I don't know if it would be possible genetically for them to produce offspring or not. 

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

wvmntnhick

Different species. Too much of a gap for them to mate.

snapper1982

They might try but it wont work.

MK M GOBL

Look to have some good spurs and a heck of a fan for the wall.
lol

Actually have a neighbor who owns a few and free to roam his farm didn't know this until one day while I was locating a one of his males answered my peacock call.

MK M GOBL

OldSchool

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 05, 2016, 09:27:23 AM
lol

Actually have a neighbor who owns a few and free to roam his farm didn't know this until one day while I was locating a one of his males answered my peacock call.

MK M GOBL

I would have loved to have seen the look on your face when that peacock answered you. ;D

Bob

TrackeySauresRex

Great photo. The Peacock call is a great locator call,I use frequently.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Dr Juice

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 05, 2016, 10:29:28 AM
Great photo. The Peacock call is a great locator call,I use frequently.
Concur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 05, 2016, 09:27:23 AM
lol

MK M GOBL

Buddy of mine has a camp near Stonewall Jackson lake. The neighboring farm has peacocks. Often times, when things get quiet, we just wait for the peacocks to get going. They'll often point us in the right direction of a gobbler.

CoachHunter

I'm curious to see what happens when they start splitting up. 2 of the toms have bullied another tom to the outside of the group. He just kind of hangs around but they won't let him get close. Maybe I need to invest in a peacock call to see if they will bring the turkeys to me. It's a really odd sight when they are all together.

mgm1955

tomstopper

CoachHunter

update:  sitting at a stop sign a half mile or so away from my house today and sure enough I hear peacocks. There are 5-6 in a pen behind a house. This has to be where they came from. Now how they found the turkeys and ganged up with them is still a pretty funny story. So the question is, strutting tom comes in to a set with a strutting peacock, what do you do? Don't act like it wouldn't cross your mind to take the peacock out. Haha

crow

you don't know how lucky you are,

one of those peacocks looks like the rare Smokey Baby phase peacocks, which are known gobbler attractors.
hopefully it will stay with the flock until your season starts  ;D

OldSchool

when I first saw that picture I couldn't help think that somebody will be making peacock decoys to add to your "flock" before long. ;D

Bob