News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi shot to Long Beard XR?

Started by Cutt, March 03, 2016, 04:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Quote from: maytom on March 05, 2016, 11:35:54 AM
3" chamber.....I did at one time own a Mossberg 835 when they first came out many years ago. But the recoil was brutal out of that gun with those 3 1/2" shells. Didn't care for the rattle in the pump section, seems to make to much noise. Switched to the 1300.

Shot the hevi shot for a while and actually had better patterns with some of the first generation Remington loads that were like 1-5/8 ounce. Anyway, I've shot a few birds with hevi shot and have zero complaints. Did make the switch to LB's though and will probably continue shooting them for a while out of my 835. My sx2 is still set up for hevi and heavyweight. My plan is to either switch the 20 to TSS next year or find another 20 and spdedicate it as a straight turkey gun. As for the 835 recoil, you're spot on. One of the hardest kicking things I've ever owned. In saying that, I happen to love the "Mossberg rattle." The older the better. They tend to rattle more. Not sure why, but I like them.

decoykrvr

I started turkey hunting w/ 12 gauge duck and goose loads, reloaded high velocity 3", 15/8 oz nickle-plated 5's and 6's, went to Activ 3", 21/4 oz 5's and 6's, discovered tungsten in the Polywad offerings, stayed w/ tungsten w/ Remington 3" and 31/2", 15/8 oz and 13/4 oz 5's and 6's, tried the first junk offerings from EnvironMetal then finally settled on the Hevi-13 gold hull loads in both 3" and 31/2", 6's, 7's and MagBlends .  I've evaluated the LongBeard 3" and 31/2" shells and they are without a doubt the best patterning lead loads which I have ever shot.  With that said, I've got a substantial stash of EM Hevi-13 shells and there is not a lead load currently available which matches the performance and range capabilities of tungsten.  Even w/ the re-patterning which I routinely do every year,  my annual expenditure on turkey loads is still inconsequential relative to what I spend during turkey season.

hd mike

Has anyone shot the Win LB rounds with a Hevi-13 choke tube ? I am using that tube out of my SX3, and my hevishot 6&7's pattern great. Tried other rounds out of the Hevi-13 tube, and they didn't pattern well.

Cutt

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 05, 2016, 11:49:38 AM
I happen to love the "Mossberg rattle." The older the better. They tend to rattle more. Not sure why, but I like them.

Not sure how much you will like if it spooks a bird? Spooked a couple over the years with my Mossberg, as I had to reposition when he went behind a tree, and "clunk". Ended up putting felt pads and tape on the tube to keep the forearm from rattles and clanking. Now I no longer have that gun, and don't miss it a bit.

sixbird

Quote from: Cutt on March 03, 2016, 06:57:13 PM
Quote from: sixbird on March 03, 2016, 06:41:01 PM
As others have said, close in shooting is tight (meaning pattern is tight). With my gun (Benelli SBE II) the pattern is about tennis ball size at 15 yds. Maybe a little bigger than softball size at 20...
I shoot 3.5 Hevi 6's and know they are tight at 15-20 also, but never shot the Long Beard to compare?

Longbeards seem to pattern noticeably tighter than Hevi but at 10 and 15, they're all pretty tight...

bmhern

I've killed birds from 10 yds to 40 yds with #6 longbeards with no problem, but as others have said, up close its a very tight pattern

TauntoHawk

I prefer my Hevi 6 myself, But i buy longbeards for when people borrow my gun they have a cheaper load to shoot. HW#7 out of the 20

I spend a lot more money on far less important things
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fullfan

Quote from: kyturkeyhunter4 on March 04, 2016, 11:37:22 AM
the Federal Heavyweights #7 I don't think I will ever shot nothing else.

I have shot the Heviweights #7's for about 5 years and was very happy with them. And then along came TSS #9 shot.
Don't gobble at me...

Dr Juice

Quote from: hd mike on March 05, 2016, 01:46:56 PM
Has anyone shot the Win LB rounds with a Hevi-13 choke tube ? I am using that tube out of my SX3, and my hevishot 6&7's pattern great. Tried other rounds out of the Hevi-13 tube, and they didn't pattern well.
The LBs pattern well out of my 11-87 with a Hevi-13 choke. Numbers - unknown, but the pattern was nice and evenly distributed on the target, which is my concern. Good luck.

kcrebel

Quote from: hd mike on March 05, 2016, 01:46:56 PM

Yes.  In my Browning Maxus the Hevishot tube .664 patterned best with LB #6 3.5".  That was on a 70 degree day 2 weeks ago.  Last spring I patterned same gun on a 40 degree day and the Carlson's longbeard xr tube patterned best with LB #5 3.5".
Since I'm only using the Maxus for hunting here in Mississippi I'm sticking with the Hevishot tube and it's warm weather pattern.   8)

stickinarrows

I shoot long beard XR 3' #5. Buddy shoots hevi shot 3' #5. Both have Carlson choke tubes. The XR's outperformed the hevi shots once you got passed 40. But inside 40 you couldn't tell the difference between the two

jims

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwg_H8SoK8U

Most reviews I found on YouTube and elsewhere showed the XR's a tighter group at long range.  That's what I've gone with and haven't missed a turkey yet at reasonable range.

Happy

The longbeards pattern to tight up close for my taste. And they don't hit any harder than standard lead so no I am not switching.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dr Juice

I made the switch from magnum blends to 3.5" LBs and they're grouping well at 40-yds. Now, I must field test them on a gobblers head.

Marc

If it patterns so tight, why not try a standard full choke?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.