OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi shot to Long Beard XR?

Started by Cutt, March 03, 2016, 04:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

No, I have no desire to go back to lead.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spitten and drummen

the way I see it is that I only kill 3 to 5 birds a year. cost is not a huge concern to me because its not like im dove hunting and shooting a bunch of shots. I started loading tss last year and its expensive. I work hard getting a old gobbler in range , therefore I want to shoot the best load I possibly can. that being said , there has been a ton of birds killed cleanly with lead and copper loads. if you get better patterns out of the long beards , then that's what you need to shoot. if you are happy and get better patterns with heavy , then stick with it. have confidence in whatever you decide to use. both will kill birds at respectable distances.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

VaTuRkStOmPeR

W all the money I have tied up in leases and gear, there's no way I'd ever switch to a product that hits with less kinetic energy.

You'll never find any lead in my guns. 

Crawl79

I made the switch when the Longbeards first came out. I know short range I have lost some pattern but I also switched to a FFIII at the same time.

Long range I am more confident than before. One benefit is cost and confidence. I can shoot more shells verifying my aim and pattern throughout the season (although never changes). Before with the HV I was worried about cost of shells and saved shells for turkeys only. Now I know I am ready to pull trigger at any reasonable distance. (and a little beyond that!)

kyturkeyhunter4

I switch from the LongBeards XR this year to the Federal Heavyweights #7 I don't think I will ever shot nothing else.

Cutt

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 04, 2016, 09:09:21 AM
Both will kill farther than we should talk about and a 3.5" is not needed with either.

True, but 3.5 6's patterned the best from my gun, with more bb coverage, so more room for error is how I look at it?

kcrebel

You are spot on.  Shoot what load your gun patterns best.  A turkey cannot be too dead.  The longer you hunt odds are that extra payload is going to save your bacon on a hunt. 
Always going to be guys that tell you 3.5" is too much.  I'm sure they were saying the same things when 3" came out compared with 2.75". 

stinkpickle

I patterned some Longbeards last year, and they worked just fine, but I stockpiled a lot of Hevi-13 a long time ago, and I'm still burning through it.  ;)

darn2ten

As others have said, pattern them both and pick the one that suits your set up best. Turkeys aren't tanks and don't wear armour. I've shot, patterned, and killed birds with them all. I shoot the LB's now, and sometimes switch back to regular lead. In my style of hunting I've never felt like hevi was needed or a benefit.

tha bugman

One thing I remember my mentor saying...."Son, don't skimp on the ammo!"  and thats when there was no Hevi 13.

Number17

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 04, 2016, 11:25:10 AM
W all the money I have tied up in leases and gear, there's no way I'd ever switch to a product that hits with less kinetic energy.

You'll never find any lead in my guns.

I have ZERO dollars invested in hunting land, I own a handful of mouth calls and an old 870, and I have never owned a blind and I don't use decoys.

I've also never had a gobbler question the physics lesson coming out the end of my barrel with lead shot.

Different strokes for different folks.

Longbeard 4s 5s and 6s all shoot extremely well in my gun. Better than Hevi shot ever did.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Double B

LB XRs have patterned better than anything I tried over the years with some hevi included.  I'm kind of cheap, and I like getting 10 turkey loads in a box.   No brainer for me and I shot many different combos over many years in a .676 choked 835.  LB simplified it for me, I like #5s.   Beautiful patterns to point of aim. Beretta 390 likes the LB XRs too, through .665 tube.   Had a buddy with a stoeger stop by and shoot one LB load and he had an ah hah moment.   
Followed by buzzards

maytom

After the Longbeard loads came out and watching the company video's, I made the jump from Nitro company to the Winchester shells. One thing I did want to do is try to stick with some good kinetic energy, so I decided on the #4's in the Longbeard shells. I also, late fall, got a new Patternmaster Code Black choke tube for my Win. 1300. From what I observed on paper, this will be my new tube/shell of choice. Wasn't very happy with the Nitro Shells leaking out most of the buffering material due to bad crimping issues. The crimp on these new longbeard's are awesome!! :gobble:

Dr Juice

Quote from: maytom on March 05, 2016, 10:44:43 AM
After the Longbeard loads came out and watching the company video's, I made the jump from Nitro company to the Winchester shells. One thing I did want to do is try to stick with some good kinetic energy, so I decided on the #4's in the Longbeard shells. I also, late fall, got a new Patternmaster Code Black choke tube for my Win. 1300. From what I observed on paper, this will be my new tube/shell of choice. Wasn't very happy with the Nitro Shells leaking out most of the buffering material due to bad crimping issues. The crimp on these new longbeard's are awesome!! :gobble:
Assuming you have a 12g, what is the size of the load, 3" or 3.5"? Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maytom

3" chamber.....I did at one time own a Mossberg 835 when they first came out many years ago. But the recoil was brutal out of that gun with those 3 1/2" shells. Didn't care for the rattle in the pump section, seems to make to much noise. Switched to the 1300.