turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Light for Turkey Hunting

Started by Greg Massey, March 03, 2016, 03:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaTuRkStOmPeR

We sneak in very early to get really tight on roosted birds and have a lot of success with that tactic.

I've never used a light to turkey hunt and never will.  There is nothing natural a red or green light to a gobbler as a hunter sneaks inside 60 yards of a roosted bird.

kyturkeyhunter4

I don't use no lights period, I prefer the bird not seeing me when I'm siting up on roosted birds of the mornings.

catdaddy

I dont use a light when sneaking in on a roosted gobbler--I get than reasoning 100%. However, to those of you that eschew the use of any light source when turking hunting, I'd invite you to hunt with me in the briar thickets, creek bluffs and stump hole riddled areas in N Mississippi---I'll let you lead the way.     

Bowguy

Moonlight is usually all you need.

Greg Massey

But Bowguy what if it overcast night with no moonlight..

stinkpickle

All the places I hunt are so open, they're never completely dark, even on cloudy nights.

WNCTracker

Was told a long time ago that deer don't see green/red as well.... I know turkey's do but still, my point is you can make whatever color light you want really easily by taking scotch tape and putting it over the lens.  Then color it with green, red, black or whatever color sharpie you want, repeat the process because each layer makes the light dimmer.  Saw this on a DIY channel where they use blue and red layers to simulate a black light to scan hotel rooms.   :o  I used to use the thumb over the light, but I'd inevitably screw up and cast a beam into the dark woods when I was putting my climber on a tree. 

Farmboy27

No light.  If I know that I have to go through briers, swamp, nasty stuff, then I set my alarm an hour earlier so I can slow down a bit. Get up early, let your eyes get accustomed, take your time.  No light needed

Marc

Quote from: BowBendr on March 03, 2016, 09:44:47 PM
^^ What do you do on moonless nights, new moon periods or cloudy skies ? ^^

I tend to stumble around a lot more. :help:

Currently on really dark mornings, I choose my locations accordingly...  Maybe not as long of a walk through the woods, and picking locations close to dirt roads or trails that the birds use...

Dark mornings can provide for the opportunity to sneak a bit closer to the roost, but the noise made stumbling, falling, and cursing makes stealth difficult at times...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tha bugman

Picked this one up the other day since my other one vanished sometime during duck season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 04, 2016, 12:47:06 PM
But Bowguy what if it overcast night with no moonlight..
I can honestly say I've used a light one time in prob the last 20 years. As farmboy said, get up earlier n go slow. You only need a light if you're afraid of the dark imo. I've gone through slowly feeling my way n do it for deer too. In the pitch black they won't see you so the darker the night is actually a blessing

maytom

I carry a steam light in the green color. While most early mornings I don't use it, it's when after your about to set up and hear another hunter approaching, I signal the intruder that someone else is already in this area. Think safety.... :gobble:

SteelerFan

You guys are making me jealous! I've hunted the same mountain for 30 years, and I know it like the back of my hand. I also know briars, logs, and LOTS of rocks will cause all kinds of issues, noise, twisted ankles, etc. in the pitch black. Never been afraid of the dark, spent the night a time or two, but I can honestly say - I can't see like a deer! A mile long hike up & across a Pennsylvania mountain ridge QUIETLY is IMPOSSIBLE without a light source in my neck of the woods, I don't care if you start at midnight....

I'm with catdaddy on this one... I'll let you lead the way!  ;D

Farmboy27

Guess I should have been more specific . lol!  The areas where I hunt, I only have a 200 -500 yard walk in in the dark.  Yes, depending on which ridge I'm hunting,  I have rocks, boulders, streams, swamps, briers, and other nasties to deal with.  But if I was going a mile in I'd use a light half way or so

Bowguy

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 04, 2016, 05:19:53 PM
You guys are making me jealous! I've hunted the same mountain for 30 years, and I know it like the back of my hand. I also know briars, logs, and LOTS of rocks will cause all kinds of issues, noise, twisted ankles, etc. in the pitch black. Never been afraid of the dark, spent the night a time or two, but I can honestly say - I can't see like a deer! A mile long hike up & across a Pennsylvania mountain ridge QUIETLY is IMPOSSIBLE without a light source in my neck of the woods, I don't care if you start at midnight....

I'm with catdaddy on this one... I'll let you lead the way!  ;D
If you hike in that far the birds can't see you the whole way. You could use a light for part of that n the birds wouldn't see you anyway. Every piece of woods has rocks, sticks, etc n we aren't the only animal to hit em. Key is imo for the last part of the walk, especially if you want to get close, to do it in the dark. If you step on a branch or something to make noise you simply stop. Being you're early this extra time won't matter. If you're way works for you stay with it but I'm 48 n don't have the best eyes anymore. Certainly not eyes of a deer. Going slow and feeling your way in works wonders. Try it sometime, you might be surprised. For you guys who need someone to show ya,  just invite me to your local birds, I'll lead the way to em!
Good luck in whichever you chosen method is.