only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Light for Turkey Hunting

Started by Greg Massey, March 03, 2016, 03:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

Quote from: Bowguy on March 04, 2016, 05:34:56 PM
Quote from: SteelerFan on March 04, 2016, 05:19:53 PM
You guys are making me jealous! I've hunted the same mountain for 30 years, and I know it like the back of my hand. I also know briars, logs, and LOTS of rocks will cause all kinds of issues, noise, twisted ankles, etc. in the pitch black. Never been afraid of the dark, spent the night a time or two, but I can honestly say - I can't see like a deer! A mile long hike up & across a Pennsylvania mountain ridge QUIETLY is IMPOSSIBLE without a light source in my neck of the woods, I don't care if you start at midnight....

I'm with catdaddy on this one... I'll let you lead the way!  ;D
If you hike in that far the birds can't see you the whole way. You could use a light for part of that n the birds wouldn't see you anyway. Every piece of woods has rocks, sticks, etc n we aren't the only animal to hit em. Key is imo for the last part of the walk, especially if you want to get close, to do it in the dark. If you step on a branch or something to make noise you simply stop. Being you're early this extra time won't matter. If you're way works for you stay with it but I'm 48 n don't have the best eyes anymore. Certainly not eyes of a deer. Going slow and feeling your way in works wonders. Try it sometime, you might be surprised. For you guys who need someone to show ya,  just invite me to your local birds, I'll lead the way to em!
Good luck in whichever you chosen method is.
Well said!!

SteelerFan

Quote from: Bowguy on March 04, 2016, 05:34:56 PM
Quote from: SteelerFan on March 04, 2016, 05:19:53 PM
You guys are making me jealous! I've hunted the same mountain for 30 years, and I know it like the back of my hand. I also know briars, logs, and LOTS of rocks will cause all kinds of issues, noise, twisted ankles, etc. in the pitch black. Never been afraid of the dark, spent the night a time or two, but I can honestly say - I can't see like a deer! A mile long hike up & across a Pennsylvania mountain ridge QUIETLY is IMPOSSIBLE without a light source in my neck of the woods, I don't care if you start at midnight....

I'm with catdaddy on this one... I'll let you lead the way!  ;D
If you hike in that far the birds can't see you the whole way. You could use a light for part of that n the birds wouldn't see you anyway. Every piece of woods has rocks, sticks, etc n we aren't the only animal to hit em. Key is imo for the last part of the walk, especially if you want to get close, to do it in the dark. If you step on a branch or something to make noise you simply stop. Being you're early this extra time won't matter. If you're way works for you stay with it but I'm 48 n don't have the best eyes anymore. Certainly not eyes of a deer. Going slow and feeling your way in works wonders. Try it sometime, you might be surprised. For you guys who need someone to show ya,  just invite me to your local birds, I'll lead the way to em!
Good luck in whichever you chosen method is.

Agree 100%

Yep, when I'm within what I think is the "zone" of where I know or believe the birds to be, I'll go blackout mode. And yes, you can pick your way to a set up spot. But... I'm using the light to cover the first 80%!  :icon_thumright:

tha bugman

Quote from: catdaddy on March 04, 2016, 12:20:09 PM
I dont use a light when sneaking in on a roosted gobbler--I get than reasoning 100%. However, to those of you that eschew the use of any light source when turking hunting, I'd invite you to hunt with me in the briar thickets, creek bluffs and stump hole riddled areas in N Mississippi---I'll let you lead the way.     
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoodsniper

I like a streamlight stylus in green. It's small and fairly dim. I try to use it wisely and sparingly

West Augusta

I have a light that clips on the bill of my cap.  It's a green LED also.  Like Steelersfan, I usually have a long walk up and down these West Virginia hills and a light makes it easier and quieter.  I turn it off when I get close to my setup spot.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

perrytrails

Cheap energizer red-white head lamp from Walmart.

Hands free is nice, I always go in way too early for most.

Go slow, take your time. When I get to where I'm gonna listen for the gobbling to start its a good 30 mins before daylight or gobble time. I'm not one for getting right in their lap, early season 100-200 yards on set ups, late season as close as terrain and foliage allows.

Give everything time to settle down, I don't know how many times I've walked right pass birds on my way in. Never seemed to affect the birds, taken several I've walked past in the morning.

I mostly hunt public land too. Animals move under those turkeys all night. Just go slow, keep your red or green light pointed down and you'll be fine.

Stickbow98

Yeah, Gobblers hear real good and see even better (in the daylight) but 35+ years of killing turkeys has taught me one thing.... They're just a BIRD!!  :funnyturkey: Not some mystical, magical opponent who is smarter than (most) of us that pursue him.

I doubt they know a flashlight from an owl fart, but certainly will be alerted by the stumbling, falling and cursing of hunter who just twisted his ankle or poked a branch in his eye!!  :z-dizzy: I look too forward to the season, I won't take the chance of missing any of it by getting hurt unnecessarily. Myself, I always use a small red light clipped to my hat brim for hands-free travel and safety.

I wonder though... If you know where your birds are roosted, why are you getting close enough to let a little flashlight glow spook them? And, if you don't know where the birds are roosted, why are you stumbling around in your hunting area in the dark- light or no light? Hmmm....

My advice: Hunt hard, have fun, and always hunt SAFE, especially if you're carrying a loaded firearm!

(Rant over, blood sugar low... Going to go have a snack now!)  :character0029:
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

Farmboy27

Use one all you want. I simply stated that I get by with taking my time. I know my hunting area intimately and know that some places take me longer in the dark so I adjust. In 20 years of hiking the woods and ridges in the dark I've never injured myself (or cursed loud enough for game to hear!). As far as stumbling around when you don't know where the birds are,  lots of times I don't locate a bird the night before but know the general area they will be. So I go dark!  Works for me. If it's not your way so be it. Just don't act like I'm an idiot doing something dangerous because you use a light and I don't.

Stickbow98

Whoa Farmboy... No personal attack meant here. Just giving my opinion as you were and using some analogies to support my reasonings.
I've hunted all over the country and beyond and most times don't have the advantage of being familiar with the terrain. Whatever works for you, good hunting!

Yoder409

I see very well in the dark so I rarely use a light at all.

But when a small limb in the eye is a threat or for some other reason I have to use a light, I carry an Ozark Trail (a.k.a. WalMart made in china) white LED light 175 or 200 lumens.  So it's very bright but in a very small, durable aluminum package...........and inexpensive, too.

I generally put it inside my closed fist and just let "cracks" of light out on to the ground. 

Works for me.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

southern_leo

Some places you need a light. If I can go without, I do. But in middle Tn many areas have large rocks that suddenly drop off or have cracked open 6 inches or so. Not to mention sever terrain differences and sink holes which can open up from going out one time to the next. Considering a broken leg or falling 1000ft into a cave would probably ruin my hunt more than the chance of bumping a bird I'll opt for a light if u can't see. Usually don't need one if just working fields. I'm not sure why this is an argument it's easy. I'll provide a good guide below:

I can't see = use flashlight
I can see = don't use flashlight

Problem solved  :D

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bowguy

As a kid when I did use a light the cracks of light through the fingers thing was something I did. I'll bet being all the differences there may be varying amounts of pressure. I'd think the more the pressure the smarter the birds seem

Tennessee Lead

I carry a small headlamp. When I need to see to navigate I turn it on. When I can see to navigate it's turned off. Rough terrain and snakes are a given here. It's a long ruff climb to reach the top where the ridge tops are. Spooking a turkey ain't worth me injuring myself. They's plenty more around to find another one.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

paboxcall

After stumbling around in the dark and stepping into a hole or tripping on a rock or root, nice to have a flash light handy to help you find all your stuff scattered around the woods and put band-aids on your palms. 
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Stickbow98