turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Light for Turkey Hunting

Started by Greg Massey, March 03, 2016, 03:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

What kind of light do you use and brand ? Do you like the led white or green led better for night vision ?

MK M GOBL

I have both, one was from NWTF and other came from Cabela's. Have not seen a real difference performance wise and only really using until I get close to my hunting spot, then it's off and I move in. Haven't ever spooked a bird with either...

MK M GOBL

alloutdoors

I prefer the moon and stars, don't want them to see me coming. If I absolutely need a light I have a cheap, dim headlamp with a red LED.

Dr Juice

D) None of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowBendr

I use the stylus streamlight green led from the other thread. I like the small bulb,  you can barely see to creep thru the woods if you point it straight down. I can get closer to a roost tree with it vs. struggling in the dark, snapping small twigs, etc..

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Happy

Prefer not to use any light at all. I do occasionally use a small led light with my fingers over the lens to give me just enough light to see were I am placing my feet. I have found that once my eyes adjust I can see well enough to get around. You haven't experienced dark until you have been a mile underground in a mine. That's dark!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tailwalk

Moonlight

BowBendr

^^ What do you do on moonless nights, new moon periods or cloudy skies ? ^^

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Cut N Run

I have bad night vision and use a green Streamlight from time to time to keep me from crashing through the woods like I'm blindfolded. I carry it in my fist with my little finger wrapped around the bulb so I can regulate the amount of light it gives out. I haven't busted any birds from the roost in the 10 years I've been using it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Clif Owen

I hunt some areas with logging roads but also some that are THICK in spots. No way to get through quietly in the dark. Also, we have some of them there cotton-back rattle-moccasins and I'd rather not run up on one of them in the dark so sometimes I use a small flashlight and cover the lens up with my thumb.

Greg Massey

I guess Tailwalk is like the wolfman on those moonlight nights...

wvmntnhick

When using a light, I keep the end covered as described above. Really only use it until I get near where I plan to listen for the morning gobbles. Rarely get a chance to roost birds in the evenings so getting to the roost tree isn't generally an issue for me.

SteelerFan

I've been using green led for years of various makes & models.  I just picked up a couple of these from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SIHI6WQ/ref=sr_ph_1?qid=1457065468&sr=sr-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=green+led+flashlight

I haven't deployed in the field yet, but test in the yard are very promising! Compact, and runs on one AA battery.

I know for a fact the green light does not spook deer, I've never had a problem with spooking turkeys, and it really aids with night vision. Where I hunt turkeys, it often requires 1/2 - 3/4 mile hike out a ridge / up a mountain. If I want to be there "on time", I have to go in the dark. When I get closer to my destination, I'm mindful to keep light to a minimum. I can't say whether turkeys see the green or not - but not spooking deer or tripping on rocks and logs is always a plus.

Marc

I could be totally off base here, but my experience of using lights has been negative...  On those moonless nights with no light, and I do use a light, seems like the Rio's in my area are far less vocal when I have used a light....   I will do all I can to avoid using a light.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tha bugman

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 03, 2016, 10:14:05 PM
When using a light, I keep the end covered as described above. Really only use it until I get near where I plan to listen for the morning gobbles. Rarely get a chance to roost birds in the evenings so getting to the roost tree isn't generally an issue for me.
I stretch a black sock over mine to further dim it down.  Trick my mentor told me to do .