News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Picking a 20 ga Turkey Gun

Started by sawtooth, March 02, 2016, 02:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawtooth

Guys,

I have a Benelli M2 20gauge that I like due to its light weight but really not happy with the pattern ability of the gun itself.  I have tried several different chokes in the past and am currently using a Carlson .580 choke.  I want to stick with the HW 3" #7's so don't plan to change loads.  Is the problem with the gun and its undersized ID of the barrel?  I know these barrels have a undersized barrel ID which I don't like and am wondering if this is the issue. 

Also, If I wanted to try another gun which ones shoot the best on average?  I like the Franchi Affinity and looks like the bore ID is larger more like a typical 20 gauge. 

Thank you

reynolds243

I have an M2 as well and i had a Franchi Affinity.  The affinity was a bit easier to pattern for me but i like the M2 overall better as a gun. not but much but enough for me to keep the M2.  I also think the M2 is one of the most finicky guns to pattern out there as far as 20's go. 

what i did find out was the Pure Gold 555 and Sumtoy both patterned good in mine finally using HW7s (around 160 average).  I have a buddy that has a 26" m2 (mine is 24") and he gets around the same with a Rob Roberts 570.  I shot a lot of choke options and diameters out of mine and thats what did the best.  I want to shoot a PureGold 570 to try but can't ever find one used.

I have a few other buddies that all have M2s and they all seem to like different things which makes it that much harder to figure out. 

sawtooth

This is what I have seen to also.  My buddies M2 has the same issue and even box to box seems to change the patter more (which is somewhat normal) than other guns.  I really feel its got something to do with the undersized bore ID.  I wonder what genius came up with this idea?  I love the gun though other than how it shoots.

SKFOOTER

Get the Affinity and a Trulock .565 Federal Heavyweight choke and pattern the Fed HW 7's.  You will be pleasantly surprised!

Roost 1

Weatherby SA459 is a fine turkey gun at a very reasonable price.

sawtooth

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 02, 2016, 05:37:38 PM
Get the Affinity and a Trulock .565 Federal Heavyweight choke and pattern the Fed HW 7's.  You will be pleasantly surprised!

How do you know it's the Heavy Weight choke?  I went to their website and don't see anything on it?

CrustyRusty

Its cheaper to buy a couple of different chokes and load combos than it is to buy a whole new shotgun.  Contact sumtoy, he may be able to help.

g8rvet

Quote from: sawtooth on March 02, 2016, 07:56:28 PM

How do you know it's the Heavy Weight choke?  I went to their website and don't see anything on it?

Search by your gun and it will list all the chokes they make.  One of the headings should be called "Trulock Federal Heavyweight #7".  The last 3 numbers of the choke are the diameter.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

deltaeta

Shooting an Indian Creek in mine with mag blends. Good pattern out to 40 yds.

sawtooth

Quote from: CrustyRusty on March 02, 2016, 07:59:23 PM
Its cheaper to buy a couple of different chokes and load combos than it is to buy a whole new shotgun.  Contact sumtoy, he may be able to help.

Actually, i've tried heavi shot and federal heavy weight plus 3-4 different chokes.  I'm not saying it can't be done but I've already spent alot of time and money so now its just the principle of things.  Of all my turkeys guns I've owned this one is one of the worst and most finicky that I've ever tested.  Why in the world does a company manufacture a gun (at the most expensive price available) that doesn't shoot well.  I'm kicking myself as I should have researched the Benelli's up front as I would never have gone this route.  After reviewing this forums and others its very obvious these guns just don't group well in any of the calibers.  Not sure if its the Crio process or the undersized bore ID's (whats up with this?) but something is causing these guns to shot poorly compared to their competition.  The funny thing is Franchi is made in the same plant as Benelli but they don't use the Crio process and they do have a normal size bore ID in their barrels.  On top of this they apparently shoot better based on reports in these forums.  So I guess in this case pay more and get less.  LOL

sawtooth

Quote from: g8rvet on March 02, 2016, 08:21:58 PM
Quote from: sawtooth on March 02, 2016, 07:56:28 PM

Search by your gun and it will list all the chokes they make.  One of the headings should be called "Trulock Federal Heavyweight #7".  The last 3 numbers of the choke are the diameter.

Ok i figured it out.  I still didn't see the FH #7 so called the manufacture and they have a issue with their website.  The problem is thats its only listed under Beretta so their working to get that issue resolved.  Thanks for the info and my order is placed.

alloutdoors

It's hard to give advice when you haven't told us what choke and load combos you've tried, what kind of numbers you've gotten, and what kind of numbers you are looking for. The recipe for an M2 20ga is pretty well established, M2 + Sumtoy 562-5 or Indian Creek 555 + 3" Fed HW 7's = 150-170+ at 40yds and very dead turkeys. There are other chokes that will work but I don't recall seeing very many cases where the Sumtoy or IC weren't shooters in an M2.

Quote from: sawtooth on March 03, 2016, 09:38:45 AM
After reviewing this forums and others its very obvious these guns just don't group well in any of the calibers.

I don't know how you possibly could have reached that conclusion if you've actually read these forums.

Ranger007

My first step would be deep clean the barrel. My M2 patterns fall off pretty quickly with just a few shots even pulling a bore snake in between shots mine gets a lot of plastic buildup that doesn't go away with the bore snake and you can't see it until you use a quality bore cleaner and brush.

darron

my 20ga turkey guns are a 870, 1187 and a franchi affinity.

I just picked up the franchi affinity and plan to shoot it this month at the range. I was dead set on a m2, but decided to go with the franchi for a couple reasons. One I found on in bottomland which I love. Two, not much different between the affinity and m2. Three I saved about $600 on a gun that is only for turkeys and maybe a few dove hunts.

My 870 with a ssx and federal hw 7 will push 200. Just wicked tight pattern if not too tight. I let my dad use this gun and he has missed birds inside 20 yards. The gun has a 28" barrel a little long for my liking.

My 1187 with a carlson will put up around 150 with hevi 7. With feds it will put up around 130.

My franchi I will try a carlson and hevi 7 or fed heavy weight and see how it does.

sawtooth

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 03, 2016, 01:07:03 PM
It's hard to give advice when you haven't told us what choke and load combos you've tried, what kind of numbers you've gotten, and what kind of numbers you are looking for. The recipe for an M2 20ga is pretty well established, M2 + Sumtoy 562-5 or Indian Creek 555 + 3" Fed HW 7's = 150-170+ at 40yds and very dead turkeys. There are other chokes that will work but I don't recall seeing very many cases where the Sumtoy or IC weren't shooters in an M2.

Quote from: sawtooth on March 03, 2016, 09:38:45 AM
After reviewing this forums and others its very obvious these guns just don't group well in any of the calibers.

I don't know how you possibly could have reached that conclusion if you've actually read these forums.

I understand and am not saying it won't shoot period but when a gun is this finicky in todays times i'm going to move on.  Especially considering the cost of these I find it very interesting that they perform so poorly.  I'm fortunate to be able to afford many firearms and thus have shot a good number of turkey guns over the years as I seem to have a fetish for them.  But honestly many people like myself have paid way to much for a gun that is overpriced and under performs.  Thats all I'm saying.  The quality of the firearm is above average no question and my guess is they have a very high margin on this gun due to the Benelli name.  So all I'm saying is that the performance level should match the price.  I have shot other guns in the past that didn't pattern well or are troublesome but these guns were also very inexpensive and seemed to be more of a lot to lot (quality control) issue than anything else.  However, with the new barrel manufacturing techniques guns today shoot very consistent with much less variation.  The M2 seems to be consistent as well but consistently bad and very finicky.  Anyway, I plan to keep it and will try one of the chokes you mentioned.  I like the gun and for dove and quail hunting it should work great.  Just disappointed that this gun is so much more difficult than all my other 20 gauges.  On the plus side it balances and feels fantastic and I'm hoping my new Franchi will be the same.  I'll post back in a week or so once I have a chance to test her out.  Thanks for everyones responses.