OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Coyotes

Started by olejake, February 27, 2016, 08:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olejake

What's your personal take on the coyotes on your hunting property?
S eastern Georgia here and we are loaded..more than ever...but have more deer and birds..than ever..the yokes are eating at the same feeders too..fixing to interrupt a life cycle or two..goes against my Dad's lessons as a kid..don't kill something you don't plan on eating..but hey wait Dad..don't shoot that rattler...lol

wvmntnhick

I'd prefer to see a few less around personally but the trapping gods decided to curse my season with foxes instead. Actually, if you're catching good numbers of foxes, there's probably not that many coyotes. Back home it's a different story. Our deer numbers are hurt big time from several low mast years in a row coupled with hard winters and high coyote populations. It's a shame really. Kill what you can of them. Eat them if you wish.

olejake

Saw where CA has shortened deer  season ..70,000 less...??
Musta been 30 howling last night in my back "yard"
Ordered a howler from MFK..gonna try it out while scouting for toms

Double B

I shoot em when I call em in.  I let foxes have a pass though.  Bobcats are coming on strong but no season yet where I live.   Figure it helps out the animals I like to eat!
Followed by buzzards

nickhrp

They are taking a toll on my poult population got numerous game came pics of them with a poult in there mouth I have resorted to trapping and hunting them not to mention I'm two fawns down in the last month they definitely need to managed is my take on them
God Bless the Outdoors

tomstopper

Kill as many as you can

OldSchool

We have lots of coyotes here in my area of central NY, I hear them almost every night when I take my beagle out. Most of my best spots for rabbits are pretty much wiped out. Very few rabbits, but lots of coyote tracks and dropping full of rabbit hair.

Deer numbers seem to be down from what they used to be too. My knees are shot, so I don't cover ground like I used to, but most of the other guys I talk to say the same thing and I generally find two or three places each summer where they killed fawns.

Turkey numbers have been on the decline here for several years and I'm sure coyotes eat every one they can, but I think there's more to our turkey problems than just coyotes.

The only thing I know for sure is that we had a lot more game animals and birds here before the coyote population went crazy. I know of two groups of guys that hunt them with dogs here locally. As of yesterday one of them had killed 18, and the last time I talked to one of the other guys they'd killed just under 30. I know there are other guys hunting them, but I don't talk to them so I don't know how many they've killed. It doesn't amount to much, but I shoot every one I can. All this, and who knows how many other people after them and it doesn't seem to put a dent in them. I do believe they're here to stay.

I should mention that we have a decent fisher population now too. Up until a few years ago they were almost unheard of here. Same with bobcats.

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Greg Massey

We are having a big problem with coons we've been trapping those for couple months now..only caught one coyote..

sixbird

If you watch "Game Keepers" show, they claim coyotes are minor predators of turkeys. They do the research so they would likely know more than me...That said, why would a coyote not be able to catch a turkey? They catch everything else...I can't think of a reason why they couldn't catch a hen on a nest. A raccoon can do that...Or poults?
I know that since the coyotes showed up here, the turkey population has been in decline for sure...
My vote is to kill 'em when you can...

VaTuRkStOmPeR

They're a good thing when it comes to turkeys. The coyotes kill the coons, opossum and skunks responsible for destroying hundreds of nests throughout your property and the area around it.

When it comes to whitetail deer and other small game they are nothing but a detriment to your property.  Fawn mortality is anywhere from 50-75% when coyotes are established in an area.

Marc

I also enjoy shooting upland game, as well as waterfowl...  For these birds, other predators such as opossums, raccoons, and skunks are for more of a concern (as they are all egg/chick eaters and will all eat adults on the nest as well), and coyotes tend to keep these populations in check...

Also, coyotes tend to prefer squirrels and rabbits over birds for the most part, and thus coyotes control the critters that are competing for the food sources of my preferred game...

I have actually read a study (sorry no link) that concluded that areas where coyotes were not controlled had better upland production...

Turkeys are a bit of a different story though...  Poults or adults are a pretty good mouthful for a coyote...  Last year, I do not think I hunted a single day in which I did not call in a coyote (or bobcat) to a turkey call.  I believe the drought has caused reduced production on squirrels rabbits and other prey, and the yotes were on the turkeys pretty good last season...

I had several situations in which turkeys were either in range (but out of sight) or almost in range, and a coyote went after them...

Personally, I have no desire to shoot a coyote...  I am hunting for fun, and they are doing it for a living.  But I do have a brother-in-law that would really like to shoot a coyote...  I might take him out for his trophy on my favorite turkey hunting property.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ddturkeyhunter

It is true the yotes do kill a lot of skunks,coons and othere things that take the nests, but the yote is bigger so he has to eat more so he is trying Day and Night. I have seen in fresh snow one morning where there wasnt a square foot for about a hundred feet there wasnt a yote track under some roost trees. Where they were harassing them to fly down so they could try catching them. Take them when ever you can

Dr Juice

TauntoHawk

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 28, 2016, 09:21:14 PM
They're a good thing when it comes to turkeys. The coyotes kill the coons, opossum and skunks responsible for destroying hundreds of nests throughout your property and the area around it.

When it comes to whitetail deer and other small game they are nothing but a detriment to your property.  Fawn mortality is anywhere from 50-75% when coyotes are established in an area.
That's fact, but I'm still gonna kill em when I can. I should shoot more coons too though

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wvmntnhick

Quote from: sixbird on February 28, 2016, 09:16:01 PM
If you watch "Game Keepers" show, they claim coyotes are minor predators of turkeys. They do the research so they would likely know more than me...That said, why would a coyote not be able to catch a turkey? They catch everything else...I can't think of a reason why they couldn't catch a hen on a nest. A raccoon can do that...Or poults?
I know that since the coyotes showed up here, the turkey population has been in decline for sure...
My vote is to kill 'em when you can...

I'm not disputing what they said but if someone is hunting an area and calls a coyotes to one out of every four sets, that means they've been successful enough to keep trying. Predators aren't going to keep trying something that's not working for them. If the energy expended to kill prey is greater than the intake, they'll generally back off. If they're persistent enough to keep coming in every time they hear a gobble or yelp, just seems to me they've had enough luck to justify it. Kill every one you can. Not that it's going to make a huge difference but still...