OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

PA birds

Started by Farmboy27, February 26, 2016, 02:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

I know its still cold and still early but has anyone else here in PA or the northeast heard any gobbling yet?  I listened every morning this week and heard gobbling 4 mornings.   Not a lot but still enough to give a fella the fever pretty bad!!!

Happy

Negative on the gobbling.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Fullfan

Have a flock of 9 long beards  here near the house in Mercer Co. Last warm spell we had they were getting busy on the roost in the am. Checked one of my trail cameras last week and had 3 strutters and a pic of one gobbling. Going to be up to 53 here on Sunday, I will be on the back porch Monday morning and will let ya know whet I hear.
Don't gobble at me...

Gobble!

Planning on getting out next week. Western MD.

Dearhunter3450

Some gobbling in Albany NY area

Yoder409

Had a buddy tell me they were goin at it last weekend.

I don't know if I wanna go out and hear it just yet.............................go and get all wound up and two months to wait to go hunt.............    :blob10:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Cutt

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 26, 2016, 10:27:45 PM

I don't know if I wanna go out and hear it just yet.............................go and get all wound up and two months to wait to go hunt.............    :blob10:

I agree, Season starts way late here in Pa. Can go about 10 miles West and hunt 2 weeks earlier in Ohio. Never understood the 2 weeks difference between 2 pretty much the same Northern area States?

Yoder409

Quote from: Cutt on February 26, 2016, 11:09:27 PM

I agree, Season starts way late here in Pa. Can go about 10 miles West and hunt 2 weeks earlier in Ohio. Never understood the 2 weeks difference between 2 pretty much the same Northern area States?

Think about it................................. PA is probably the only state in the union where you can't hunt deer during the rut with a firearm.  Our game commission has some SEVERELY messed up ways of doing things.

IIRC............ Minnesota and Ontario seasons come in before Pennsylvania.   :z-dizzy:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TauntoHawk

Buddy's family farm in NY has about 10 strutters and a bunch of young toms and jakes hitting the flats by his cattle feeding bags. They winter there all year and gobble all year but it's nice to keep tabs on a big flock of birds. Another couple of weeks here and I'll be scouting each weekend

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wvmntnhick

Not real sure when your rifle season is but WV gun season doesn't coincide with the rut either. We may get lucky every once in a while and catch the very tail end of it but that's about it. There's still a hot doe occasionally but that can happen clear through December so... It's really a better way to preserve a herd and genetics far as I'm concerned. If the firearms season aligned with the rut, there'd be a ton more deer killed. For two states with already declining populations, probably not a great idea.

As for turkey season, ours comes in a bit late as well. It insures that more of the breeding is done before the hunters stress the birds. That came from a WV biologist and I'd take his word for it.

Farmboy27

The pa game commission says the same thing about the later season start. Guess it doesn't much with all the pressure the birds get in my area here in central PA. I always say the first week ya try to call em in, after that ya just try not to scare em away!

aaron

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 26, 2016, 11:16:48 PM

Think about it................................. PA is probably the only state in the union where you can't hunt deer during the rut with a firearm.  Our game commission has some SEVERELY messed up ways of doing things.

IIRC............ Minnesota and Ontario seasons come in before Pennsylvania.   :z-dizzy:

Ohio does not firearm hunt until 3 weeks after the rut.  And I love it.  You should be thankful you don't have a gun season during the rut.   We enjoy the bruiser bucks we do in ohio due to our divisions regs.....Bow only during the rut and 1 buck per year.   

TauntoHawk

PA and NY turkey come in too late in my mind as well, can't tell you how many times I've seen polts running around in season and it's 85 degrees and the woods are a jungle. Guess I'll stop complaining I still get my birds but sure would prefer a cool gobbling filled morning in April

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

the Ward

Ohio's proposed turkey starting date next year is going to be may 1st now! I have issues with ohio's whole system of doing things. They closed the daily draw hunts at the waterfowl refuge at Mosquito lake due to "lack of participation" then they euthanize 150 geese at the lake last summer! They just don't want to pay a ranger to be there at 5am to do the draw. The game management in this state is a joke.  I got a few good stories I could tell about the corrupt stuff  that goes on in the N.E. but I won't do that on here! The Feds need to come in and start investigating is all I got to say. But I haven't heard any gobblers yet, but they have been logging near me and got the birds all spooked out. Going to get out next week and scout some new areas. Fullfan I'm only a stones throw from ya, I used to hunt Mercer co quite a bit, got some family and friends that own property there. Heard they are raising all the license fees over there so I probably am done hunting Pa. It was a pretty good deal as a non resident but they are raising them too high to be worth it for me now.

OldSchool

I haven't heard any here around the house yet, but I haven't been out listening other than always having an ear tuned for it anytime I'm outside. They usually drop down off the knob I live on when winter sets in and don't show back up until the weather breaks. Usually around mid to late March in an average year. One of the few working dairy farms left near home is about a mile over the other side of the hill from me and they find easier pickings there in the winter. If the mild weather we've had most of the winter holds, maybe they'll be back on top early this year.

Hopefully we have some birds to hunt this year. Last year was so bad I quit hunting a few days into the season after realising how few birds were around.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.