turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Vests

Started by Cutt, March 30, 2011, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

With all the choices today for turkey vests, does a practical good quality vest even exsist?

At least to me from what I've seen, there are no stand out vests I want to buy? I have an older NWTF 10X vest, and was looking to replace it, only because it is so faded. After looking some, I decided I like the vest I have that is 15 years or so old better than anything out there. So I went as far to locate the same exact vest, and it does not exsist no more.

The vest I have is very basic,with big bellow pockets interior shell holder, and interior box call pockets. I although did have to replace the cheap foam with more dense foam, but this vest has served me well.  Not sure if I overlooked any, but just can't stand all the new ones like the Tatar with all the exterior pockets.

I would have never guessed I would not find one similiar to the one I got, they've gotten way to gadgity.

Does anyone know of the ultimate basic turkey vest, or do they simply do not exsist?

bad0351

I happen to like the HS strut vest...I believe it's the SUV?
Sometimes...all a man has left is his dog.....

Cutt

Quote from: bad0351 on March 30, 2011, 07:12:38 PM

That one does look like one of the better basic ones, without all the extra pockets and junk hanging off it?

Although is the triangular inflatable seat comfortable and big enough? And no, I do not have a tractor a$$ :lol:

And is it hot to wear? Thanks

bad0351

Quote from: Cutt on March 30, 2011, 07:20:58 PM
Quote from: bad0351 on March 30, 2011, 07:12:38 PM

That one does look like one of the better basic ones, without all the extra pockets and junk hanging off it?

Although is the triangular inflatable seat comfortable and big enough? And no, I do not have a tractor a$$ :lol:

And is it hot to wear? Thanks

Well....I do have a tractor butt!!
I'm 6-3 and 285.and its good for me...and I dont find it hot at all... :z-guntootsmiley:
Sometimes...all a man has left is his dog.....

savduck

Im pretty picky about vest. I havent found one that I think is perfect, but i have a few that I really like and think they are as good as the are gonna get. I prefer a strap type vest due to the heat down here.

I had the old high back Bucklick Creek from when BP first bought them out, and really liked it. I dont care for the new ones.

I bought the Mossy Oak Limbhanger last year, the Russell version. It is WELL BUILT. This is my second season and Im digging it so far.
Georgia Boy

turkeytromp

I love my HS strut SUV vest in realtree APG HD, The seat is not an inflatable seat it is made of memory type foam and is very thick and confortable when waiting out a tom. I think it is very confortable to wear and cool on hot weather hunts. I purchased it before last season and hunted 3 states and never had a problem with it, of course I purchased mine at my local sporting goods store for $60,They now have come down in price a little as walmart has them for $40 and to me that is a super steal! Get one you won't regret it at all!

mdtkyhntr

I second the vote for the limbhanger. Just hunted Texas for three days with temps near 90 and didn't notice the heat.

old frank

I also used the 10X vest up until this year.

I bought the Cabela's Tactical tat'r II. I have only worn it two days so far but I think I will like it.

It is well laid out and comfortable. My old vest seemed to carry everything low on my hips and this one carries higher.

The seat pad is thick and flips in or out very easily.

I am still hunting some things in the vest, but the more I use it, the more familiar I will be with it.

If there are any cons, I would like a few shell loops for a couple of extra shells and the friction call pockets are tight on bigger calls but they work.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Tactical-Tatr-II8482-Turkey-Vest/730722.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dturkey%2Bvest%26x%3D12%26y%3D10%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=turkey+vest&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Gobble!

beard buster run and gun belt.
about as practical as it gets

Neill_Prater

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried the Tactical Tat'r Kickstand vest from Cabelas? My buddy in Alabama has one of the old Bighorn vests that allows you to sit without a tree. I don't believe they are in business anymore, but this Kickstand looks as if it might be an improvement. Just hate to spend that many dineros without actually seeing one, or getting some input from someone who has one.