Hunting area size

Started by Candyman, February 24, 2016, 12:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candyman

What do you consider a small property?
Medium size property?
Large size property?

fallhnt

I hunt some small 150 acre spots and some big stuff, 27,000 acres but I find the birds in the same areas year after year. All public land.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Happy

Smallest I turkey hunt is 150 acres. Largest is around 70,000 acres.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BowBendr

Dang, where I live small is under 10 acres, medium would go up to 100...anything over that is big.
Natl Forest in area is huge though.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Cut N Run

The smallest farm I hunt is 88 acres.  That farm has given up 4 mature gobblers over the past three years and 3 of them were limbhangers.  Never heard more than 2 gobblers in a day there and there's a lot of local hunting pressure in those woods.

The mid-sized farm I used to lease/hunt was 370 acres and it had lots of turkeys. The most I ever heard there was 6 gobblers.

The biggest land I hunt is 8,000 acres of public land and you're most likely to see or shoot a 2 year old there. I've only seen one other turkey hunter on that land beside my buddies.  The most birds I heard there was 7 gobbling at the same time.  I'm sure others were calling, but too far away or too windy to hear.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

dirt road ninja

250 and under small.
250 - 1000 medium
1000 + large

IowaGobblers

I hunt a couple 20 acre farms as well as a 5 acre piece and all have produced semi-consistently. However I do hunt a few 500+ acre farms that I would consider large here.

darron

I hunt all private and most are small. The smaller properties around me don't get asked as much as the bigger ones. The smallest property I hunt is 40 acres the biggest is 200 continuous acres. I do have some areas where we have permission from 2-3 people in a row giving us 4-500 acres.

Tail Feathers

I'd say dirt road ninja has the numbers right.  Not much farming in my area.  We have cattle and we have pine trees.  LOTS of pine tree and big timber company land around.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

wvmntnhick

I've got two small farms I can hunt here that are roughly 100-200 acres. There's a larger farm I can get on so long as the landowners son in law is with me. It's not continuous but it is about 1500 acres and it's good turkey ground. Finally, I belong to a club with an ungodly amount of ground. Fortunate there. Just need to start deer hunting it too I guess. Seems a waste to just turkey hunt it.

sixbird

Quote from: fallhnt on February 24, 2016, 12:37:07 PM
I hunt some small 150 acre spots and some big stuff, 27,000 acres but I find the birds in the same areas year after year. All public land.

I had to laugh right out loud! One of my spots is about 30 yds. by 50 yds.!
I call 'em in from neighboring property that I've never asked permission on...My biggest place is about 60 acres and I think that's HUGE!
Man, I envy you guys that have ACRES!

M Sharpe

small is 250 acres, largest is 256,000 acres.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

beakbuster10

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 24, 2016, 03:53:32 PM
250 and under small.
250 - 1000 medium
1000 + large
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumby

Lease of about 720 acres and then public WMA that is 150,000

VaTuRkStOmPeR

It all depends.... I only hunt ground hunted by myself, my brother and maybe 1 other person.

For the two of us I consider acreage to fall into the following categories:
Small: 150 or less
Medium: 150-400
Large: 400-1000
Huge: 1000+