turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Smoky Baby...

Started by sixbird, February 23, 2016, 11:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Not sure how long they've been out but has anybody tried the Smokey Baby decoy by Flambeau?

MK M GOBL

I have not tried it, but interested in hearing some responses.

Deal is supposed to be that it's "seen" better by turkeys because of the UV "white" paint job. Of course you now how marketing and promotions of the "new" latest fad goes. Will say I have a few thoughts on this and have heard a few things from customers already on the product last year down to the store, one thing that has been asked about this is the few times it's been seen on the commercials for it, it is not being used by itself but an addition to other conventional decoys.

If it's the answer what's the need for the other decoys?

MK M GOBL

okslayrio

I'm interested to hear how well it works as well. I think it's a goofy marketing gimmick, (Like the shearling hen call a few years ago.) But that's just my opinion.

Gobble!

Probably better off getting a goose decoy and painting the head red.

turkeyfoot

If they claim turkeys can see it better I just gotta roll my eyes a Tom can see just fine without the white paint job. I've seen them in book but turned the page to fast to read their gimmick pitch

tomstopper

Quote from: okslayrio on February 24, 2016, 12:29:43 AM
I'm interested to hear how well it works as well. I think it's a goofy marketing gimmick, (Like the shearling hen call a few years ago.) But that's just my opinion.
Probably pairs well with the Funky Chicken decoy...lol

dirt road ninja

Why would you take the chance. Buy a regular decoy is MHO.

fallhnt

Mark and Terry say it works and they drop em @ 66 too. :z-guntootsmiley:
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

davisd9

Them dury fools digging into your pocket with gimmicks. I am sure a bird or two can be killed with it cause some birds just want to die.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: tomstopper on February 24, 2016, 10:54:19 AM

Unfortunately that funky chicken probably works really well since birds will not be intimidated by it. I hate to say that, but the stupid thing probably pulls in birds that other decoys will not.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

southern_leo

Quote from: davisd9 on February 24, 2016, 11:13:02 AM

Unfortunately that funky chicken probably works really well since birds will not be intimidated by it. I hate to say that, but the stupid thing probably pulls in birds that other decoys will not.

Sent from the Strut Zone
I bought a funky chicken I'll be using this spring. The thing actually has very good reviews. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work it looks great and appears like a jake standing at attention. Just because it's not a dsd and cost $150 doesn't mean it won't work. There's also many videos online now of toms fighting it. Why do some on here not like it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tomstopper

Quote from: southern_leo on February 24, 2016, 01:19:51 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 24, 2016, 11:13:02 AM

Sent from the Strut Zone
I bought a funky chicken I'll be using this spring. The thing actually has very good reviews. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work it looks great and appears like a jake standing at attention. Just because it's not a dsd and cost $150 doesn't mean it won't work. There's also many videos online now of toms fighting it. Why do some on here not like it?

I agree the funky chicken decoy will probably work (If guesswhos Badonkadeke works, so should this..lol) and so might the smoky baby and I wasn't picking on anyone for using it. I was just joking about it. I also wouldn't say that most on here don't like it, but instead say that most on here that if were going to buy a decoy probably want something a little more lifelike. IMO.

Spitten and drummen

the way I feel is that you can only go so far with decoys as well as some other hunting items. this is a marketing scheme in my opinion. they have to keep bringing out new products in order to keep sales growth. hunters and fisherman cannot resist buying new products if they feel it will improve their success. increasing sales is the only way they stay in business. will this decoy work? probably .  will people buy it? yes because they are told it will increase their success. is it any better than other decoys? most likely not. remember the flambou decoys? not sure if that's the correct spelling , but there were a lot of turkeys killed with it and it didn't really look all that realistic to me. I killed one with a funky chicken so im sure this will work also. if you already have a good decoy , I just don't see this improving your odds. again , just my opinion.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

southern_leo

I got the funky chicken because I wanted a jake or Tom decoy but didn't want to carry a strutter all day. I can throw the funky chicken in my vest. And for $30 I think that's hard to beat!

Cut N Run

Quote from: davisd9 on February 24, 2016, 11:09:37 AM
Them dury fools digging into your pocket with gimmicks. I am sure a bird or two can be killed with it cause some birds just want to die.

Sent from the Strut Zone

Exactly right. 

How is it that a turkey can see you blink at 100 yards and miss seeing a decoy placed in the open?  How many here have ever seen a smoke colored turkey in the first place? Don't they occur something like 1 in 10,000 birds? I've been turkey hunting since the early 1980s and I have never even heard of one from these parts.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.