OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New to trumpets. Help!

Started by Full strut, February 23, 2016, 09:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full strut

So I just picked up my first trumpet the other day and I would like to learn how to use it more efficiently. I have a good idea of how to use it, but if anyone has a good YouTube video or article I should read that would be greatly appreciated  :turkey2:

blackfalcon

Start here..Del has two good videos he posted that should help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9xqrwAGYmU

crow

Del's part 1&2 are very well done

also on youtube, Marlin Watkins has a 3 part instructional
and Ralph Pemar has a 20 minute recording you can learn off of

Full strut

thanks fellas! learning on a cheap ebay black walnut and delrin trumpet i picked up. trying to learn the craft before i get to invested. i've seen what a nice trumpet will set you back, and my bank account just aint ready yet!

davisd9

The learning curve will be much steeper on a trumpet that is hard to draw air. I suggest that if you want to learn and help with the learning curve then invest in a good trumpet. If you decide it is not for you then a quality trumpet would not be difficult to get your money back on. Good luck.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Full strut

good advice. might just have to follow that. what do you suggest? everywhere i read that cox and buice trumpets are top notch. they look great but from what i've read, they fetch around $200 a piece right?

You do not need a Cox or a Buice although they are both very good. Get a Natural Addiction trumpet made by Savduck. Great sound, very easy to play and easy on the eyes. Also you can get one for about half of what a Cox will set you back.

davisd9

Quote from: Full strut on February 24, 2016, 12:50:27 PM
good advice. might just have to follow that. what do you suggest? everywhere i read that cox and buice trumpets are top notch. they look great but from what i've read, they fetch around $200 a piece right?

Field Grade Buice can be had with one mouthpiece for $150, $10 more per mouth piece, you can buy some from him that are cost more with screw in mouthpieces and such.  Natural Addiction (contact savduck) in most woods with buffalo horn mouthpiece are 125, Matt Mclain (mmclain) I believe charges $150.  Not sure what Kenny Pedelahore (contact KPcalls) charges but a top notch call. 

Great woods are Cocobolo, desert ironwood, Osage, mopane, African or Malaysian Blackwood (my favorite), olivewood, Lignum Viate, etc.  Some woods like snake wood will raise the price, just like adding an ivory mouthpiece over buffalo horn or delrin will be more costly.

Of course these prices are from when I last bought from maker or looked into their calls.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

savduck

Buying a trumpet is an investment of money and time. It is not a call that is cheap and also a call that requires you to spend time learning to run it. I disagree that you cant find a good trumpet for less, but I do agree that investing in a quality trumpet that has an easy draw will make life easier. Some of the call makers names you hear over and over get their reputation because they make a universally easy trumpet to play. Saying one is the best over another is horse crap. There are a number of variables that may make one brand trumpet the best for you, but then your buddy cant run that same trumpet but can run the heck out another trumpet you think sucks. We feel we make an easy trumpet to run, and lots of our customers have told us that. However at Nashville I had a fella that could run the heck out of Lumma and Cox trumpet but couldnt run ours  because the mouth piece wasnt angled. Doesnt mean ours isnt a great trumpet. Just means it wasnt the best for him. By the way that Lumma rocked.

This sight has a number of call makers that make good trumpets. Prices range from 85 to 300. Evaluate what your budget allows and go with one. Like someone said you can always flip it.

Obviously, Im part owner of Natural Addiction and we build our own trumpets but I also have a small collection from other makers and would recommend them. Here is a list you could choose from that all make quality yelpers.

Brian Mero, Daryl Slaton, Black Falcon ( Dave Hodgkins), Robert Glover, Joe Slaton, Billy Buice, Ralph Permar, Frank Cox, John Dangerfield, Kenny Pedelahore, Mike Williams, Austin Bott, Mark Sharpe ( jordan Style/Wingbones), Steve Lumma, Matt Mclain and Fred Cox ( jordans and wingbone)

The "best" call for you isnt always the 300 dollar call thats the best for someone else. Dont get caught up in that hype. However, when you do hear a call makers name over and over again there is a reason for it.

Sorry, got off on a tangent reading other post. To answer your question, run them everyday. If something isn't working try something else but stick with it. As some have said I made a you tube tutorial a few years back to help people get started. It's a fun addiction, good luck and have fun with it.
Georgia Boy

pappy

it grieves me when I see someone who is becoming frustrated with a trumpet call, due to poor quality or just not having the opportunity to be around someone who can work one. This is why we as crafters do our best to make a quality call that would be as user friendly as possible....go with a maker from here on this site and you won't go wrong...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Crawdad

Well said by Del & Jack, you two guys are first class in my book.

USMC0331

I would like to think you as well Mr. Del/Pappy! I bought a trumpet a few years ago wanting to learn a different type of call.In the process of my learning curve i pulled about every hair out of my head, wanted to say every additive known to man, and was put on suicide watch. Your video helped me out so much Mr.Del. I didn't talk to you about a trumped Pappy but you helped me out with your killer keg and it indeed has become a killer!Thanks again!!!

savduck

Man this is the kind of post I like to hear. I got eat up with trumpet fever a few years back and after so many PMs from guys about making a video , I did. I made it just to help guys get started and catch the fever. It means a lot to me that it helped ya. Thanks for the comments.
Georgia Boy

mgm1955

Del and Jack are spot on. Del your video is a great teaching aid!! I have trumpets from all of those listed makers. All of them make great calls in most wood and mouthpiece combos you would want. Try different ones and find one that works for you. Practice, make sound files of yourself, and practice more. Mr. Buice told me that when you think you're starting to get the hang of it you already are better than you realize. The practice will be worth it. It's a lot of fun and will be an awesome addition to your hunting arsenal. Good luck!!

Full strut

thanks alot to everyone who has commented on this post. i really feel like for the equipment i have right now i am getting the hang of it, and have already seen improvements using the videos yall posted above. i can see why so many people refer to trumpets as an addition rather than a tool to kill turkeys with. i will be investing in a quality trumpet when the funds allow it  :thanks: