turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nebraska Help

Started by IowaGobblers, February 23, 2016, 05:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaGobblers

I plan on making the trip from Iowa to Nebraska this May. I plan on going around the 20th and staying until I fill both tags. I have been reading up as much as I can, but I would appreciate any advice, NOT looking for your honey holes. I am looking at hunting public land and would also like to be able to camp out as opposed to staying at a hotel. I would like to get on some merriam's but I am not picky. I appreciate any advice and if you do not want to share it on the thread please pm me. Thanks in advance

fallhnt

Start with NE game and parks web site. They will send you the info you need. Find some water with trees and you can bet a few turkeys will be close by. Choose a bird. For Merriams you will need to be in the n.w. corner of the state. For everything else...pick a spot. I've talked to a biologist and didn't get much help like I have in other states. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

cornfedkiller

I don't have much specific advice for you, and there is not much public land nor camping that I'm aware of near the area we hunt, but I noticed you said in your original post that you will be staying until you fill BOTH tags.. just curious if you are aware that in Nebraska, you can get 3 tags..

Just didn't want you to travel out there and hunt and then realize after you got home that you could've gotten another tag..

IowaGobblers

Quote from: cornfedkiller on February 23, 2016, 07:54:30 PM
I don't have much specific advice for you, and there is not much public land nor camping that I'm aware of near the area we hunt, but I noticed you said in your original post that you will be staying until you fill BOTH tags.. just curious if you are aware that in Nebraska, you can get 3 tags..

Just didn't want you to travel out there and hunt and then realize after you got home that you could've gotten another tag..

Yes sir I did realize that you could get 3. I'm still not decided if I am wanted to buy 3 or not yet, but I guess if I am making a trip, I might as well maximize my opportunities.

cornfedkiller

The awesome thing about Nebraska that they just started doing last year is that you can buy your tags on your cell phone using their mobile app, and they just stay on your phone (you used to have to print them from the internet - which is pretty tough if you are camping).

If you get out there and kill a bird or two right away and want another tag, just log into the app and buy another.

turkeyfoot

do they still have the rule about leaving a leg attached with spur that is a pain in butt when camping alone

fallhnt

ya...and the beard with some skin all kept together.

cornfedkiller

Quote from: fallhnt on February 24, 2016, 11:12:05 AM
ya...and the beard with some skin all kept together.

Unfamiliar with this rule..can you fill me in on it?

fallhnt

It's unlawful to possess any turkey unless the legs, thighs and breast remain together until it is consumed or arrives at the permanent abode of the possessor. That's why it's a pain for non-res. This is in the NE. regs and is close to the standard in all states. MO goes a step farther and you can't have em in the freezer from fall if you hunt spring. Just proof you didn't shoot a hen.

cornfedkiller

Quote from: fallhnt on February 24, 2016, 12:25:01 PM
It's unlawful to possess any turkey unless the legs, thighs and breast remain together until it is consumed or arrives at the permanent abode of the possessor. That's why it's a pain for non-res. This is in the NE. regs and is close to the standard in all states. MO goes a step farther and you can't have em in the freezer from fall if you hunt spring. Just proof you didn't shoot a hen.

I looked up the regs and see that now.  Thank you for bringing that up. 

So when they say you have to have them all together, does that mean all attached together, or just all together in a bag or something.  I always save the beard and legs anyways, so if I breast the bird out (which I see is legal), as long as I have the beard (with 1/4" skin attached) and the legs with the thighs in my cooler as well, I'm fine?

fallhnt

That's what I do. I leave a good chunk of feathers on the beard and keep the legs. Put it all in a zip lock with the permit if you have a paper one and call it done.

hobbes

These regs seem to always be open to interpretation no matter which state you are in.  I'd call NE and get their response.

IowaGobblers

Thanks for the heads up, I completely overlooked the transportation/possession regulation.

turkeyfoot

Reason I asked is I've been checked there twice I was legal have to leave the spur connected to thigh to me not really clean way to keep meat if your camping hard to eat 3 birds in few days unless you have group people with you