Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what hunting show host that you find annoying.

Started by hs strut, February 23, 2016, 02:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

allchokedup

M Sharpe

All of them!!

That's what's wrong with the hunting world today!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

BowBendr

Unfortunately, turkey hunting has taken the same road as deer hunting...pimped out like a cheap Vegas hooker.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

perrytrails

Too many to mention for me. Ads and Bs, 10 min hunting in a half hour show.

I'm a Primos fan. Seems like a great bunch of guys.

Most of their products use to be good, that's not the case these days.

Their older truth videos are really good,  the Drury brothers made some good turkey instructional videos.

southern_leo

I like all the hunting and fishing shows, for the hunting and fishing footage. There's several hosts I fast forward over their talking parts. I actually do enjoy the Primos Truth videos though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tha bugman

Am I the only one that sits there thinking...."how in the world did these people that I have never even heard of get on tv in the first place with all these high profile sponsors?" then thinking..."did they have to audition for this...and if so....who in the world approved it?" 

ChiefBubba

Quote from: tha bugman on February 25, 2016, 11:21:56 AM
Am I the only one that sits there thinking...."how in the world did these people that I have never even heard of get on tv in the first place with all these high profile sponsors?" then thinking..."did they have to audition for this...and if so....who in the world approved it?"

I'm with you on that one. Sometimes it makes me feel guilty watching them when I know I have something better to do. But have to say I meet Will Primos and his brother in an airport a few years back. Couple really nice guys. Heard Jim Shockey do an radio interview with Joe Rogan that was about an hour long and he made some very good points. Chief

fallhnt

Quote from: tha bugman on February 25, 2016, 11:21:56 AM
Money...It was $13,000.00 per episode x 13 episodes 10 years ago. I can only imagine what it costs now. I know a water fowl  outfitter that looked into it.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

GobbleNut

Quote from: possum58 on February 23, 2016, 03:09:28 PM
I fear non-hunters might watch these shows and if they do they will only come away with a bad taste in their mouth. I feel they do more to hurt huntings image than help.

This is my only concern, as well.  I don't watch many of these shows but, as a hunter, I sometimes find myself embarrassed by the way some of them act. We will be mighty lucky if hunting in the U.S. is still legal in another generation.  Then again, there are a few who portray a very positive image of hunters and hunting.

chcltlabz

I take them all with a grain of salt and for what its worth.  Its entertainment.  I don't like all TV shows, so I chose to watch some and not others.

Ones that really get under my skin are Chad Belding and Chris Brackett.  That whole rock star hunting image gets to me.

Now my wife cringes every time she sees Tom Miranda on TV.  His fake enthusiasm drives her nuts, and she's convinced he'd talk about how grand his 1.5 year old spike is.

My favorites lately have been King of Spring, and Jim Shockey.  Jim's shows to me are absolutely outstanding and show as much about local culture and some of the craziest places and animals on earth as they do about the kill.  I'd love to walk in that man's shoes for a year.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

tha bugman

My wife and I acutally got into King of the Spring the 1st year it came out.  We really liked the competitions.
Quote from: chcltlabz on February 25, 2016, 04:16:08 PM
I take them all with a grain of salt and for what its worth.  Its entertainment.  I don't like all TV shows, so I chose to watch some and not others.

Ones that really get under my skin are Chad Belding and Chris Brackett.  That whole rock star hunting image gets to me.

Now my wife cringes every time she sees Tom Miranda on TV.  His fake enthusiasm drives her nuts, and she's convinced he'd talk about how grand his 1.5 year old spike is.

My favorites lately have been King of Spring, and Jim Shockey.  Jim's shows to me are absolutely outstanding and show as much about local culture and some of the craziest places and animals on earth as they do about the kill.  I'd love to walk in that man's shoes for a year.

crappieangler

I haven't owned a TV in over a 16 months, but most are pretty bad.

I have to start by saying if I never had to listen to Eddie Salter owl hoot after a turkey kill ever again, I'd pay a good sum of money.  I agree very little of the hunting shows are educational.  I know they push a lot of products, but that is why I like Zink.  In the waterfowl shows they'll discuss the spread, wind direction, how they limit casting shadows, what they saw scouting, etc.  They also get birds in tight for good camera work and will pass some up, so it's not always about killing every thing that comes in.  Maybe I bought into something, but I can respect some of the message they're sending.  But then again I must not be too big of a sucker since I've never purchased anything of theirs except one call. Steven Rinella on meat eater is good like some have said. Some of the Eastman shows on large public tracts are cool, takes 2 years to air one episode on the one I remember.  Brad Ferris seems like a genuine guy, liked troy ruiz too. 

Then you get guys like bracket who shoot one deer and then air it over and over again. I only saw him on TV during one season, but it was always the same deer.  He did air one other show about land management to get big bugs, and what did he reference.....ding ding the one deer everyone saw killed every week for over a month.  Its turning into a pretty sad industry.  I can't believe they sucker people in with some of the crap they put out. waddells calls sound terrible, and who comes up with crap like the squealin hen? Just crazy people buy some of this junk.

mspaci

They all annoy me, thus I don't watch any. Has been 3-4 years,  Mike

kjnengr

I don't mind some of the cutting up and joking footage, because that's part of what being in camp is all about - having fun with your friends.  But I wish the shows would be a little more "educational".  Instead of just showing them walking around listening for birds and then a few minutes of the kill footage, I would rather they show the bird working (or not working) in and show what worked/didn't work.  I still have a lot to learn and don't get a chance to hunt with anybody that has good turkey knowledge/skills. 

I like the kill shot just like anyone else, but show me more than walk around, hear one, yelp, yelp, yelp, and 30 seconds later there is a bird flopping on the ground.  Give me more between point A and point B.