OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Doubled Up! w/pics

Started by MK M GOBL, February 22, 2016, 10:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swather

I've done it, but generally try to avoid it unless the season is messed up by weather, I'm going to be traveling out of state to hunt, etc. and time is short.

I choose to avoid it because it cuts the season short for an honest hunter, we only get to take 3 birds in GA.

guesswho

I have on occasion over the years, but I usually pass at the chance.  I've had probably 6-8 opportunities in the last three years but have elected to pass on my shot each time.   I'm more of a one hunt one bird kind of guy now.  Not saying I won't ever do it again, but right now I don't see myself doing it.   I did have a double back in 2002 that I'm glad I took part in.  My buddy's bird had three beards totaling 28" and mine had six totaling 56".   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MK M GOBL

Quote from: guesswho on February 23, 2016, 12:20:11 PM
I have on occasion over the years, but I usually pass at the chance.  I've had probably 6-8 opportunities in the last three years but have elected to pass on my shot each time.   I'm more of a one hunt one bird kind of guy now.  Not saying I won't ever do it again, but right now I don't see myself doing it.   I did have a double back in 2002 that I'm glad I took part in.  My buddy's bird had three beards totaling 28" and mine had six totaling 56".   

One thing I "think" with this is that these birds are "brothers", with the doubles we have taken the birds seen to be similar in age structure and other genetic similarities. Makes sense in my head that they are still together since brood stage and are still working together as a dominance thing, even with one being the dominant bird.

MK M GOBL

guesswho

These were both three to four year old birds, and was scared to death of the dominant bird that was 100 yards away at times.   And this place is wrapped up in multi-beards.  Roughy 25-30% are.    I've killed 1,2,3,4,5,6 and even a 7 bearded bird all within a quarter mile from each other.  Lot of bearded hens as well, which I think is a factor.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

MK M GOBL

Quote from: guesswho on February 23, 2016, 12:30:43 PM
These were both three to four year old birds, and was scared to death of the dominant bird that was 100 yards away at times.   And this place is wrapped up in multi-beards.  Roughy 25-30% are.    I've killed 1,2,3,4,5,6 and even a 7 bearded bird all within a quarter mile from each other.  Lot of bearded hens as well, which I think is a factor.

Very cool, We have a grandfather/father/son that always seem to come in with multi bearded birds for our Spring Gobbler Contest down to the store and
like you must be a genetic thing to their area, I seem to have quite a few bearded hens around but few multi bearded toms, have only killed a handful.

MK M GOBL

uarobert

My first ever kill was a solo double. It was the sad looking wet birds in my profile pic.

cwb04

3 years ago, I was calling with a buddy and he shot two in one shot on Friday morning (birds came in behind us and he is left handed and was able to get around the tree on them).  The next morning I spotted 3 gobblers in a field, 2 together and one by himself.  We got in position and called the 2 together in and we doubled on them, left them where they fell, and began to do a series of loud fighting purrs and within 1 minute the lone gobbler came in and I shot him for a double/triple.  My avatar photo is from that morning.  Quite a couple days of hunting!

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on February 23, 2016, 12:20:11 PM
I have on occasion over the years, but I usually pass at the chance.   

I try not to agree with this guy any more often than I have to, but on this one, we are on the same page.   ;D :toothy12:
One at a time for me, regardless of how many tags I have in my pocket.

Rick Howard

If NY allowed it, I am sure I would attempt.  The feeling of downing two birds for a solo double could be short lived though... as my season would be over right then.

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 23, 2016, 02:28:08 PM
I try not to agree with this guy any more often than I have to, but on this one, we are on the same page.   ;D :toothy12:
One at a time for me, regardless of how many tags I have in my pocket.
:TooFunny:
That's why your wrong most of the time.   But in this case your right. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

cornfedkiller

Havent had a chance to double yet.  Had once last season where multiple toms came into my decoys, but I missed the first one so I blew the opportunity at both  >:(

To the guys that have a "strategy" though - do you take out the boss first, or a subordinate first?

TrackeySauresRex

Father son,dynamic duo double. A great hunt.

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

MK M GOBL

Quote from: cornfedkiller on February 23, 2016, 04:47:51 PM
Havent had a chance to double yet.  Had once last season where multiple toms came into my decoys, but I missed the first one so I blew the opportunity at both  >:(

To the guys that have a "strategy" though - do you take out the boss first, or a subordinate first?

I always take the boss down first, one of two things happens... the sub will come back to establish dominance over the downed bird or still know you just knocked down the boss of the timber!

cornfedkiller

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 23, 2016, 06:40:33 PM

I always take the boss down first, one of two things happens... the sub will come back to establish dominance over the downed bird or still know you just knocked down the boss of the timber!

I like that idea.  Thanks  :icon_thumright:

beakbuster10

Last morning of the 2014 VA season. We each had one tag left. First gobbler pitched right down to us off the roost. I killed him. When I shot two more birds gobbled a few hundred yards out. A couple excited yelps later both birds were in our laps and my buddy killed his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk