OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can someone help me pick a turkey trip

Started by Joe5353, February 22, 2016, 11:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe5353

Can someone please help me pick a turkey trip

I am fortunate to be a in position to book a vacation turkey trip this spring. I have never shot a turkey and am looking to see a new area of the country and hopefully get some turkey action. The trip will be fully guided. I hope someone more experienced then me can help me decide what sounds like the best trip.

Heritage outfitters, Nebraska in Mid May. http://www.heritageoutfittersne.com/ 
Heartland Lodge, Illinois in Late Apr. https://www.heartlandlodge.com/hunting/turkey-hunting/ 
Cherry Tree outfitters, Missouri in Late Apr http://www.cherrytreeoutfitters.com/
Bent creek lodge, Alabama, mid March http://www.bentcreeklodge.com 
Gopher plantation, Georgia, mid Apr http://www.gopherplantation.com/ 

Thank you in advance!

hobbes

Where are you from?  If you are in the eastern half of the U.S. you'll have plenty opportunity to shoot Easterns after you become addicted.  I'd go to Nebraska.  Lots of birds and opportunity to shoot more three birds provided the outfitter allows it.

dirt road ninja

Never been to any of the above, but birds in the SE are going to be harder than the mid-west.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

MK M GOBL

Quote from: hobbes on February 22, 2016, 11:57:11 AM
Where are you from?  If you are in the eastern half of the U.S. you'll have plenty opportunity to shoot Easterns after you become addicted.  I'd go to Nebraska.  Lots of birds and opportunity to shoot more three birds provided the outfitter allows it.

100% right there, was in the middle of writing the same thing. I live with Easterns out the back door, and would make that trip to Nebraska. Some awful pretty country out there too if you haven't been.

MK M GOBL

hobbes

I'll add this.  If you are interested in whether it's a Rio or Merriam's, it is somewhat misleading to imply that you can kill a Merriam or Rio there.  That region of Nebraska used to be listed as Rio but now is listed as Hybrid.  You might kill one with lighter colored tips but at best it's a hybrid.   I dont particularly care hybrid ,  rio, or merriam's, they all gobble and strut.

Gamblinman

Whatever you do, you must do it quickly for this season. Most established and reputible outfitters are already booked for the season by this time.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

LI Outdoorsman

I would be interested to know if anyone has any experience with the Cherry Tree outfitters where you guide yourself..
As far as any of those guided trips the OP mentioned...They all look good to me!...and yes booking times are running out..enjoy

fallhnt

If you want to hunt all day I'd choose NE. I hunt that part of the state and there are a lot of birds. If you like to fish you may want to look into MO.,hunting hours end at 1:00.Don't go to IL it's a joke. I live here ,I know,125.00 ea. for non-res permits in a draw only. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

tha bugman

I have heard nothing but good things from Bent Creek Lodge.  One of my former bosses would go there about every other year and whack one.

spaightlabs

I know Brady from Heritage well - he is a local CO guy and we are in the same waterfowl hunting club,  and I have hunted with them a couple times.

Brady has a lot of ground and a lot of birds.  My concern with that time of year would be that those birds will probably have seen a lot of hunter activity by then.  I'd about bet though that with all of the new ground he has picked up since we were there last that he can find you some non-pressured participants, and he will do the work to get your birds for sure, and isn't afraid to adjust his tactics to get it done.

There are 2 hotels he works with in town - I'd recommend the one over by the golf course...I've never stayed there, but it looks a good bit nicer than the one we stayed in both times.

What Hobbes said about hybrids is right on.  We've seen some extremely white fans in that area, but I'd be my bottom dollar they are all hybrids.

Good luck and have fun!

Roost 1

Jtpeagle41

I went to Nebraska last year with Hidden Valley outfitters. Being an eastern hunter my whole life it was an eye opener for sure. Beautiful country and lots of birds. I was lucky enough to tag two birds. One hybrid and the one merriam. I will say that those western birds will spoil you. So if you go out there and get addicted to all that yelping and moving they do you are in for a rude awakening when you start back home hunting easterns

Joe5353

Great responses.  Thanks guys.  I am on the east coast but open to hunting any sub species.