OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Harvested Some Maple Burl

Started by Stoner, February 22, 2016, 11:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoner

Few photos of hunting for burl wood; I saw this Maple tree back in 2013 while deer hunting in Tennessee.  My friend and his son harvested the burl for me and the other day I had the opportunity to have it sliced into slabs. Had a few voids (expected in burl wood); the grain of the wood is very pretty. I should be able to get several turkey calls out of the wood.

backwater

Very nice...I love working with burl.  I'm sure you have already done so but seal it up. 

spurman

Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

backwater

I can't speak for stoner but we cut em up and seal em as soon as we can.  Anchorseal is what we use. 

Cut N Run

How long to let the wood cure before you work with it?  I know where there are a few good size knots of burl that I've left alone because I wasn't sure how to cure it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

backwater

Quote from: Cut N Run on February 25, 2016, 07:07:23 AM
How long to let the wood cure before you work with it?  I know where there are a few good size knots of burl that I've left alone because I wasn't sure how to cure it.
A lot of variables come into play...type of wood, thickness as well as humidity.  The general rule of thumb for air drying is up to a year per inch of thickness.  A moisture meter is nice to have. 
Jim