turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Issues with Browning BPS

Started by GunRunner, February 20, 2016, 08:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

I have a NWTF Mossy Oak Browning BPS pump.  I have been overseas for 3 years and was unable to make it home for turkey season the entire assignment. Now that I am home, you can imagine my excitement as the 2016 turkey season approaches. I left my gun and gear with my father-in-law and picked it all up from him yesterday. The BPS was stored in my gun case and in his spare bedroom closet in a climate controlled environment. When I uncased the gun, I was shocked to find the Dura-Touch camo stock to be very sticky to the touch. After handling it, there was a sticky residue and slight discoloration left on my hands. I am puzzled.
I am aware that gun cleaning oils and solvents can damage the Dura-Touch coatings, but I have been extremely careful not to get these cleaning products in contact with the stock.
Has anyone seen or heard of this kind of problem or have any idea how to clean it up? The only thing I know to do is send it back to Browning.

Thanks

GunRunner

Powerwagon

Welcome to the "Dura-Touch SUCKS CLUB"... I know mine is getting really bad but it took about 7 years for mine to start doing it... Now everything sticks to it...dirt,sticks,leaves,my hands you name it... Just get it dipped again because they shoot to good to sell. Sorry for the bad news

Mike Honcho

My 2003 10 gauge did the same thing between this season and last. Its MossyOak Breakup camo that they don't make anymore so I haven't called Browning. This gun has only been hunted with 4-5 times.

I took the Tru Glo Magnum Gobble Stopper sights off it, put them on a Stoeger 3500 and "decommissioned " the BPS until I figure out what I want to do with it.

Sucks that yours is your main turkey gun.

Borden811

I had the same thing happen on a browning rifle. Browning basically told me to go pound sand. So I bought some stripper, and some krylon. Stripped, primed it, painted it. Back in business and better than ever.

Mike Honcho

I have been looking into stripping the finish off and installing the Mossy Oak Gun Skins.
They come in several camo types.

Only about $29.95.

You can Google and watch installation video.

Borden811

The gun skins are nice. Somewhere on here I have a post of a browning gold 12 gauge I did in mossy oak bottomland. If you take your time, and do a good job, it's hard to tell it wasn't dipped, unless you look closely.

Mike Honcho

I'm not going to waste my time trying to call them and deal with my Duratouch stock problem.

From what others have said if they do help you they may have your gun for a long, long time.

Lesson learned on my part, I won't buy Browning guns again, and will deal with the problem on my own.

Sad part is it devalues what was an expensive 10 gauge pump shotgun.

mudhen

Very common with DT...

I had a Silver's finish go bad after a few hunts...

You are stuck with it probably...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

kcrebel

First of all and most importantly Thank You for your service to Our Country!   :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Definitely call Browning Customer Service.  I haven't had any issues with my DuraTouch guns but they are much newer than the first few years of that finish. 
These guys above are the first ones I have ever heard of having issues with getting the gun repaired through Browning.  I know several guys that have sent theirs back and Browning repaired them free of charge. 
Always keep in mind internet forums are where guys complain about things and the other millions of folks are running theirs daily with zero issues. 
Hope this helps.  Let us know what you find out. 

kcrebel

Quote from: worth612000 on February 26, 2016, 03:40:05 PM
I hate people who stick their 2 cent in stuff they know nothing about.

What I hate is when guys like you pile on to a thread offering zero help.  Congrats on the Brownings you own.  Guess that makes you the expert.   :TooFunny:

Guys like you keep guys like me from offering to help others because it isn't worth the time to have to deal with the children.... 

kcrebel

Quote from: worth612000 on February 26, 2016, 04:28:20 PM
What help did you provide? I might own 3, but they will never be a 4th

???
Reading comprehension is a lost art I suppose.... ::)

Powerwagon

Just have it dipped... I wouldn't trade my browning for the world... It shoots to well

markmaberry

Just sent a model 70 270 WSM back to Winchester for dura touch issues. Printed their form and made a request for them to make it new extreme weather since their dura touch was supposed to be all-weather. They did exactly that in about 3 months. I also have a dura touch BPS and my point was a 1000.00 rifle shouldn't have stock issues. I feel the same about the BPS. It's worth a shot but send it to Winchester through their firearm return policy and fill out their online form. Winchester/Browning one in the same. Hope this helps