turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Scope and Reticle opinions

Started by kevin2, February 20, 2016, 05:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I'm considering a scope for my shotgun for this Turkey Season. Looking threw all sorts of old threads, and I'm looking for some opinions on reticles, as well as scopes. I don't want to spend a mint! I sold my Burris Fast Fire III, just didn't like it.

I have seen several threads saying good things about the Simmons 1.5-5x32 ProDiamond, I'm just not so sure about that reticle?

Is that diamond thingy the way to go?
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Greg Massey

I have that scope on my 20 ga. and i really like the scope..i also have 2 of the Nikon turkey pro scopes they are great also. But they don't make that scope anymore you will have to keep checking ebay to find one of those. Round or Diamond reticle really doesn't make that much different..i like them both..Check out the Bushnell scope also 1.75 - 4 x 32 a lot of people like those also..Those scopes also act as a range finder if his head is within that circle or diamond most time he's dead...

DAk28

I have the pro diamond, and I'm very pleased with it. I know when his head fills the diamond he is dead. For the price and the service from Simmons if you have a problem it's worth it. I keep and extra in the safe if something would happen.

snapper1982

Love my pro diamonds. In my opinion it is the best budget(cheap) turkey scope.

wvmntnhick

Have a pro diamond on my 835. It seems to work just fine. Haven't killed a bird with it yet. Just put it on last year but the intentions are to rectify that problem this year.

davisd9

Love my pro-diamond. Did not like the Bushnell. Only two turkey scopes I have had

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

357MAGNOLE

I like this "Turkey Plex reticle" from Leupold. Used it for the first time today.  Like the image shows, on 4x the birds head area should fit within the circle AT 40 yards.  If its bigger than the circle hes closer, way smaller hes out of range. I like it.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

maytom

I have the Leupold 1x4 shotgun scope on my 1300, it came with the extra heavy reticle. Really stands out.

TauntoHawk

Vortex makes some nice ones low per scopes as well

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

kyturkeyhunter4

I've got two of the older Simmons Pro daimonds I love mine. I got one on my Remington 870 and I gave my son the other one you can't beat them. I had a Nikon and I sold it and kelp my Simmons. Make sure there the older Simmons that are made in the Philippines the new ones at that good

tha bugman

I have used the strut and rut combo from Tru Glo with a great deal of success.  The only down side that I found from them (which may be the case in other scopes as well) is that they don't take a good torrential downpour all that well. 

MK M GOBL

I have the old school Bushnell 1.75-4 x 32 Trophy Turkey Scope (Model# 73-1421) on both of my guns and have never failed me, been on the guns for over 20 years. The reticle estimates yardage for under/over 40 yards, I simply call it the "Circle of Death" and they used brass crosshairs to stand out against the black color from a turkey. They still make the scope in a new version but make sure to go with the Trophy XLT model Bushnell #: 731432AP  (camo) UPC #: 029757731487  run around $120. 

MK M GOBL

Dr Juice

That's a winner. The Simmons ProDiamond is my favorite turkey scope. It's tough and inexpensive. It is designed so that you can use the diamond as your range finder. Once the BIG boy fills the diamond from the top of his head to the base of the neck - let it loose. It hasn't failed me yet. Good luck. :OGturkeyhead:

kevin2

Thinking that the Simmons 1.5-5x32 ProDiamond might be the way to go. It was mentioned above that an older model made in the Philippines might be an option too. Anyone have any opinions on the older models VS todays offerings?

thanks!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

hookedspur

I have the Leupold NWTF 2-7 with the Turkey Plex on my M2 and love it !!!

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions