OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

License Fees

Started by Greg Massey, February 20, 2016, 12:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchool

Here in NY an annual hunting license for combined small and big game runs $22.00, and a turkey permit is another $10.00.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Swather

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 20, 2016, 12:56:50 PM
What does it cost in your state just to turkey hunt? In Tennessee all of our license fees had a big increase this year. Just to turkey hunt this year hunting and fishing is 34.00 dollars and we have to have a big game gun that's 34.00 dollars total of 68.00 just to turkey hunt. Now we have what we call a yearly sportsman license that's 166.00 which includes all licenses needed to deer hunting during our muzzleloader, archery, and includes doe permits for our county special season. A lifetime license at my age is 1153.00 .  Tenn has one of the highest hunting fees ...What's it cost you for Licenses in your state ?      DON'T GET ME WRONG I'M NOT COMPLAINING IT ALL GOES TO A GOOD CAUSE.....

Tennessee has expensive licenses for in-state and out of state sportsmen, for sure.  I have Georgia based friends there, and it is expensive for us to hunt there on their property.

I am not so sure that the money all goes for the intended purposes, and therefore for a "good cause."  It all gets commingled in GA, and the soddy legislature here raided the funds from wildlife tags, etc. during the recent trough years.  People in GA quit buying specialty tags as soon as the General Assembly pulled that stunt.

Further, the resources intended for wildlife management are being abused and misappropriated, and the  use of game wardens is one good example.  The Gen. Assembly and or governors have made the GW's part of about 12 different task forces, from drugs to child abduction/abuse.  Those may be worthy task forces on other grounds, but they are no the intended uses of GW's.  GW's have relatively broad law enforcement commissions and can arrest one in this state for a violation of virtually any law, as a deputy sheriff can, but GW's are state officers and can be deployed anywhere in the state.  The still don't have quite as many express duties for service of papers, writs, and some other things, but they have become a useful play pretty that can be moved around quickly when commissioned gun toters are needed.

I don't like getting checked in the woods or on the lake either, but having them patrolling deters some monkey business and they do make a few arrests of people that really need it.

wvmntnhick

I love getting checked. Makes me feel as though my tax money went to some kind of work. Problem is, most won't leave the truck or go far enough to matter. Also, I've found that most DNR officers have a decent sense of humor if things are approached properly. This can lead to a good relationship should one ever need to call on them for something.

Back on topic, license fees are expensive. It's very hard to justify the cost for nonresident license if the chance for success is knowingly low. I don't mind not killing. That's not the issue. Just like to at least think there's a reasonably good chance of success before shelling out the dough required for our of state hunting.

turkeybow

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 21, 2016, 12:43:08 AM
Quote from: southern_leo on February 20, 2016, 10:37:35 PM
Can any TWRA (Tn wildlife resource agency for you other states) advise why Tn fees are so much higher? I didn't realize before this thread we are extremely high. If I could spend just over 600 for a lifetime I most definitely would. I'm starting to think the fees are so high they maybe hurting themselves. Lower prices but sell more and you make more money. Also high fees encourage people to hunt and fish illegally. I'm against that but not everyone can afford these prices. This thread has defiantly provoked my thoughts on this!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
They told me 100% of their funding comes from license fees.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Correct!  TWRA is self funded which means the agency gets no government aid or assistance.  If you look at all these other states that have the lower license costs (ie. NC since I'm from there) you will see they get government funding.  In NC when I was there a sportsmans license was $50 and a lifetime was $500.  Now I think it has went up to $60/$600 due to the license created for onshore fishing.  With this setup the state government controls their money and makes decisions.  They decide on how much the agency gets, where the money goes, and make other decisions.  The other states with similar low hunting license prices will be in the same boat.

Here in TN if you hear about the sunset bill this situation is what the bill is concerning.  Currently in TN the agency (TWRA) is self funded which is mainly from license sales.  TWRA is also headed by people with wildlife backgrounds that make the decisions instead of the government.  If the sunset bill ever changes or doesn't pass then the agency will get government funding which will resort in cheaper licenses.  I think I would rather go with wildlife knowledge controlling the money and making the decisions.

I have been to 4 different states hunting as a non-resident and from the ones that I have been to it costs around $100 per bird to hunt.  With what I have seen in those states here in TN that would cost a non-resident $400 and that of course is not the case.  TN also offers a non-resident a sportsmans license which is currently $300.  That now will get you 2 bucks, 4 turkey, and depending on which county can equal more birds (Fall) or all the does you want (Unit L - 3/day).  Most states do not offer a sportsmans license for a non-resident.  Last year that price was $250 and with that was 3 bucks and 4 turkeys.  If you ask me either way $300 for all of that is not a bad price as I have paid more for less in other states.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

turkeywhisperer935

My question is this, if other states wildlife services get government assistance why don't Tennessee?  Some of the guys on here are right, they are pricing thereselves out causing people to stop hunting or hunt illegally. And as for where the money is going I would probably check politicians pockets.

southern_leo

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 21, 2016, 12:43:08 AM
Quote from: southern_leo on February 20, 2016, 10:37:35 PM
Can any TWRA (Tn wildlife resource agency for you other states) advise why Tn fees are so much higher? I didn't realize before this thread we are extremely high. If I could spend just over 600 for a lifetime I most definitely would. I'm starting to think the fees are so high they maybe hurting themselves. Lower prices but sell more and you make more money. Also high fees encourage people to hunt and fish illegally. I'm against that but not everyone can afford these prices. This thread has defiantly provoked my thoughts on this!

They told me 100% of their funding comes from license fees.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
From my understanding they are not 100% funded by license fees. Their website states they are "largely funded" by fees. They also can get portions of fines they levy and profit from seized items. These add up more than you would think. Here is an a copy of text from their site of using the DJ and PR funds originally so I would assume we still do:

In 1937, Congress recognized the need for long-term dependable funding for state wildlife agencies and passed the Wildlife Restoration Act. Also known as the Pittman-Robertson (PR) Act, the law imposed a 10 percent manufacturer's tax on hunting ammunition and firearms. Tax proceeds are distributed to state fish and wildlife agencies for research, habitat protection, hunting and recreation and species recovery. In 1950 the Sport Fish Restoration Act-also called the Dingell-Johnson (DJ) Act-placed a 10 percent manufacturer's tax on fishing rods, reels, and tackle to be distributed to state fish and wildlife agencies for sport fish restoration. In addition, the Wallop-Breaux Amendment was passed in 1984 expanding the Sportfish Restoration Act to include boating and angling gear. These additional funds support boating access and aquatic education programs. Generating approximately $450 million annually, PR and DJ funds-along with the sale of hunting and fishing licenses and permits-have been the backbone of state game and sportfish management programs. Historically, PR funds have been instrumental in the recovery of whitetail deer and wild turkey, and most recently, the reintroduction of elk to Tennessee. Likewise, DJ funds are utilized for such programs as trout warm and coldwater fish stocking and management of reservoirs and streams. - See more at: https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/early-history-of-conservation-funding#sthash.hfbwAtia.dpuf

turkeybow

Quote from: turkeywhisperer935 on February 22, 2016, 01:43:00 AM
My question is this, if other states wildlife services get government assistance why don't Tennessee?  Some of the guys on here are right, they are pricing thereselves out causing people to stop hunting or hunt illegally. And as for where the money is going I would probably check politicians pockets.

It all boils down to who you want controlling the agency, the government or people with wildlife degrees?  I haven't read up on the sunset bill a lot but if you research it you will find out a lot more information than I can give you.  The bill comes up about every so often and this topic is what it is about basically.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

Wrangler95

One thing that comes into play in the cost of Tenneesse hunting license is tennessee is not funded by the state of Tennessee,they operate on the sale of hunting license and tax from things like shells and etc.I think most states are funded by their state government!The TWRA has done a remarkable job in the turkey restoration in the state of Tennessee,guess you cant please everyone!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Greg Massey

No..wrong the NWTF is the ones who help with the most of the restocking of birds in Tenn..not TWRA , Wrangler. It's the NWTF that has funded most of the money for catch boxes for relocating the wild turkeys in Tenn and grants and stuff for these programs to track birds with radio equipment for years before we were able to hunt these birds etc..The reason these birds are in Tenn is because of what we as chapters and members have done in raising funds for the conservation of the wild turkey..Little History the NWTF was founded in 1973. there was about 1.5 million wild turkeys in North America. After decades of dedicated work, that number hit a historic high of almost 7 million turkeys thanks to the TREMENDOUS efforts of our dedicated VOLUNTEERS, PROFESSIONAL STAFF and COMMITTED partners. SO NO AGAIN IT WAS NOT ALL TWRA ...THE REMARKABLE JOB IN THE TURKEY RESTORATION IS BECAUSE OF PEOPLE IN THE NWTF.

buzzardroost

Quote from: turkeybow on February 22, 2016, 10:06:22 AM
Quote from: turkeywhisperer935 on February 22, 2016, 01:43:00 AM

It all boils down to who you want controlling the agency, the government or people with wildlife degrees?  I haven't read up on the sunset bill a lot but if you research it you will find out a lot more information than I can give you.  The bill comes up about every so often and this topic is what it is about basically.
wildlife degree folks don't control it anyway! The TWRC controls it, and they are politically appointed, not wildlife professionals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davisd9

In SC it cost $25 to hunt private land and $50 for private and public.  Waterfowl, saltwater fishing, and maybe a few other things have some added cost, but for $50 you can hunt deer, hogs, small game, dove, quail, turkeys, coyotes, etc on public or private land.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Wrangler95

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 22, 2016, 11:59:11 AM
No..wrong the NWTF is the ones who help with the most of the restocking of birds in Tenn..not TWRA , Wrangler. It's the NWTF that has funded most of the money for catch boxes for relocating the wild turkeys in Tenn and grants and stuff for these programs to track birds with radio equipment for years before we were able to hunt these birds etc..The reason these birds are in Tenn is because of what we as chapters and members have done in raising funds for the conservation of the wild turkey..Little History the NWTF was founded in 1973. there was about 1.5 million wild turkeys in North America. After decades of dedicated work, that number hit a historic high of almost 7 million turkeys thanks to the TREMENDOUS efforts of our dedicated VOLUNTEERS, PROFESSIONAL STAFF and COMMITTED partners. SO NO AGAIN IT WAS NOT ALL TWRA ...THE REMARKABLE JOB IN THE TURKEY RESTORATION IS BECAUSE OF PEOPLE IN THE NWTF.

Your wrong Massey,the TWRA are the ones that trapped turkeys at several WMA in Tennessee,AEDC and Catoosa are two of these WMA's.They are the ones responsible for the comeback of the wild turkey in Tennessee.You probably never heard of Jack Murray who is responsible for getting the turkey restoration kick started in Tennessee and btw,TWRA is doing a great job with their efforts!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Cove

Quote from: born2hunt on February 20, 2016, 02:57:00 PM
Yeah Tennessee is ridiculous,  it's gonna cost me a little over 200 for a 10 day license as a nonresident this year.

As a Florida resident I pay 100 for a sportsman gold license. That covers everything I need to hunt and fish for a year exept the duck stamp. I don't think thats to bad.

I think $200 is about the going rate for hunting as a nonresident nowadays. A little more in some, a little less in some.  :z-twocents:

MK M GOBL

I pay $165 a year for pretty much everything in Wisconsin as a Conservation Patron, there are a few fees not included but not much. My turkey tag is awarded in a drawing as part of my license and a additional tag is $10. I did actually quit hunting some states as their prices for non-residents have skyrocketed as of late... I would like to see reciprocating fees between states, that way we would all have a fair playing field when it comes to hunting (and not just turkey).

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

Wrangler95 .. I do agree the NWTF and the State Wildlife agencies need to be commended for the job they done re-establishing the wild turkey. The NWTF has work with these agencies coordinating the trap and transfer of these birds. Again the NWTF has provided trapping equipment this includes the nets, transfer boxes and help of transferring of birds between states. All of these efforts were provided to Jack Murray with the help of banquet and chapter funding and lot of VOLUNTEERS.. Not all of this was done by one person or one group of people..It's the job of wildlife agencies to provide law enforcement, education, manage wildlife and habitats. The job of the NWTF is to enhance wildlife populations, help provide habitat for the wild turkey so we we can secure the future of these birds for future generation. So again it's a big effort of wildlife agencies and NWTF to protect our future hunting and habitat. Not just TWRA in Tenn. all states..  And Yes to ans. you question i know Jack Murray and have ate supper with him..Jack has done a great job in helping with the wild turkeys..