turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My dog ate my diaphragms! Help!

Started by Jtpeagle41, February 20, 2016, 08:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jtpeagle41

Well sometimes s#*t happens. When you leave the door open to a room the dog is not allowed in, s#*t certainly will happen. So I came home to find 10 diaphragms chewed up and one dog with a very guilty look on her face.

Some I lost that were working well for me were...
Field Proven Calls - Split V
Mad Calls NWTF Champion - Matt Van Cise
Strike zone calls - Dead zone
Zink Calls - Z Yelper
Gooserbat - Bacon (a buddy of mine had just picked up for me at the convention last week. I only got to play with it one time  :'( )

I plan to replace the Gooserbat Bacon but other than that I'm wide open. I also plan to order some Hooks. Never tried them but the price is right and from what I've read here they seem to be too notch.

I have a $25 cabelas gift card and plan to spend another $30 for the cause.

So, what are your favorite Hooks models and any others you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Gamblinman

Executioner, Devastator, Hustler.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

JLH

You may be able to "recover" them tomorrow.....should probably rinse them a little before you put them in your mouth.

Gooserbat

Man last year I had a staffer who's dog done the same thing. When you replace the bacon look at a couple others.  The Hillbilly is getting hot this season and the double bit is always good.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Jtpeagle41

Quote from: JLH on February 20, 2016, 09:12:12 AM
You may be able to "recover" them tomorrow.....should probably rinse them a little before you put them in your mouth.

She had the decency to just leave them all chewed up on the floor. Even brought on to my chair, kinda like "hey look what I killed today!" lol

Jtpeagle41

Quote from: Treerooster on February 20, 2016, 09:32:26 AM
Before you replace a bunch of calls you might want to check out the "Mouth Call Mechanics" video on Shane Simpson's site. Its right on the first page that comes up. He talks about how certain cuts on a mouth call may be better for an individual depending on how that individual calls. Might be worth a look and since you have to start over you could try different cuts to see if one is best for you.

Shane also sells Hooks calls along with his own.

http://www.callingallturkeys.com/

Thanks, I will definitely check it out

Jtpeagle41

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 20, 2016, 09:17:23 AM
Man last year I had a staffer who's dog done the same thing. When you replace the bacon look at a couple others.  The Hillbilly is getting hot this season and the double bit is always good.

I might just have to get a handful of your calls then. I only played that bacon for about 15 minutes that day. I was instantly impressed and will be running it in the woods this year for sure

OldSchool

Sorry to hear that. I've had beagles most of my life... I can relate. ::)

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Greg Massey

Maybe she was learning how to call turkeys...you need to take her turkey hunting now...

Jtpeagle41

She's a mutt. Mostly lab but a little beagle in her. She likes to chase every animal she sees but wouldn't never sit quiet enough to call one back after a scatter

GobbleNut

Quote from: Treerooster on February 20, 2016, 09:32:26 AM
He talks about how certain cuts on a mouth call may be better for an individual depending on how that individual calls.

This is soooo important.  To take it one step further, mouth call users should also be aware of all of the variables that make each individual call perform at its peak in relation to each persons calling mechanics,...and there are a bunch of them.  Because of that, it is the rare mouth call user that doesn't end up buying a bunch of calls that do not work for them right out of the package.

However, almost every call has a turkey in it somewhere,...and all mouth call users should learn how to find it.  Sometimes it is simply a matter of adjusting your calling mechanics in order to find that sweet spot in a call.  More often, it is the call itself that needs to be modified to match the mechanics of the user.  That process is pretty simple, and once you learn how, it can save you a lot of money and time spent in becoming proficient with mouth calls.

southern_leo

Sorry bro but it sounds like your dog has gone bad. May need to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

oldturk

go to brookside game calls.com,have a good selection of diaphrams at a good price.all calls they have work great have been using them for years.i guess i'm to cheap won't pay 7.99 to 12.99 that most of the name manu.have.just my 2 cents.

Cut N Run

...and now she clucks every time she farts.   Sorry, but that punchline came to mind when I read the subject of this post.

Seriously though,  Go with what worked for you in the past and look for similar reeds.  Get yourself extras of whatever works so you have spares for backup. Even though calls of the same make and model have similar reeds and cuts, there is variation between individual calls.  One may sound great and another, not so much.  Good luck whatever you decide to go with.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

owlhoot

Just a little more humor.
Did the dog get tired of your calling/are you not that good  :D

Now i would not think Gooserbat would name a call BACON and not expect the dogs to eat it! :toothy12:
He is gonna re-sale a bunch of those   :newmascot:
Have a good day.