OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

population rebound ?

Started by hotspur, February 19, 2016, 05:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

I have heard that when turkeys are introduced to a landscape that as the population increase's if .ay expand  to the point where more birds are on the land than that land ca. Support. Then everything will even out, and the population will drop to what the land can support. Now I k ow of areas that have been flooded out by the Mississippi  river  a few years ago. I have been hunting these area for a few years and what I experienced last year was lists of 2 year old gobblers, I e stepped foot on one  lock of woods 3 differ t days and walked out with 2 2year old gobblers, I k ow luck when I see it, but I can't help but feel excited  thinking about  trying it again  this. Year. I tho k I'm into a expanding population, last year I heard lots of gobbling

Shoot2thrill25

I feel like our local population also bounced back last year. Seems like it's been down for several years. Hope it wasn't a fluke. I know that the predator pop seems to be booming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

If you have good habitat you will have turkeys. I live in IL. Not a real good turkey state but I hunt some really good public land that has approx. 30 birds per 1000 acres.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Turkeyman11

The stars have been aligned for a few years now here in Utah.  Turkey numbers are crazy good right now.  I talked to my biologist buddy just today.  In the last two weeks he has been trapping and relocating Rios.  He said he moved 80 birds out of one area and 112 out of another.  The third area he caught and moved 76 birds.  Here's the crazy thing about the third area.  He went down there this morning to set the traps again and counted 204 more birds.  All of these areas are within about a ten mile radius.  Come on spring!!!