OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Striker advice/info

Started by Baldwin, February 18, 2016, 07:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldwin

I'm looking to try some aftermarket strikers.  I carry a Woodhaven crystal and Lonnie Sneed's Hot Hen and Outlaw Hen.  I've been looking at Harold Fowler's site and I'm overwhelmed.  I have to admit that I don't know the difference between 1 piece, 2 piece and 3 piece strikers.  Is one better than the other?  From doing searches on this site is seems diamondwood and purpleheart are the most popular materials? I like to keep things simple. I want to improve the sound of my pots, but I'd prefer to not have a vest full of strikers. Any info or advice will be appreciated.

Double B

If you consider the hardness of surface and hardness of wood or the striker, it will help you out.  Weight, dimensions and balance all factors.  Hickory on slate, classic.   I also prefer a rosewood and black locust too. Dymondwood is about a hard as wood as you can get.   Some less expensive exotics like bubinga,bloodwood and padauk are also becoming favorites of mine.  If all else fails I was thinking about starting a Strikers Anonymous chapter for a weekly get together!
Followed by buzzards

packmule

Harold Fowler's strikers are excellent and a great place to start.  I have 1, 2 and 3 piece strikers from him and love them all, but honestly the 1 piece strikers that he builds are all you'll ever need.  Those are the ones I usually carry most often into the field.  Dymondwood, purpleheart, yellowheart, canarywood, and black locust all work well for me on the calls you're using.  Also keep you eyes on the classifieds section, all lot of very good strikers pass through there.  Good luck.

Bowguy

Fowlers strikers are excellant. Besides the Dymondwood, the Snakewood, tulipwood are ones to def consider.

Baldwin

Thanks for the info.  This forum and the people that use it are awesome.