OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

hunting rival

Started by hotspur, February 17, 2016, 04:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

I have been burned before, I used to do some guiding and was a pretty good gig at the time. Then it came down to money... So never really had "leases" around here where I used to hunt, my deal with the locals was I kill/guide a bird off your property and you get a cut of my fee. This was a great deal until unknown to me a group of 4 Out of State hunters I guided one spring went back to the landowner and offered him $$$$ to lease his ground for the next spring and even told the owner I told them to do this.... So here I am out 680 acres of prime turkey ground and never knew it until Xmas time when I was making some contacts about the upcoming spring. It just put a sour taste in my mouth and by the following year I quit the guiding game, but this decision was way better than I could have ever imagined. I took to only taking out friends and family, then this lead to youth hunts and "Learn to Hunts" and there is never a dollar exchanged, I don't pay leases, I don't charge for hunts and the reward is all personal! I get to "Hunt" for seven weeks, take out first time hunters and introduce youth to the challenge and here is my payment :)

MK M GOBL

Gamblinman

I learned years ago there are very few friends when it comes to turkey hunting.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

RemingtonRules

Friends don't take friends turkey hunting.

hs strut

i had a guy i used to be friends with think it was a good idea to take pop shot at a tom that was hung up at 65 yds. i was rather rude and told him i never wanted to hunt with him again. im sure you guys have probably figured out by now i dont like turkey snipers.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

trad bow

I am what you might call a solitary man and do all my hunting that way. If I want company I'll stay home with the wife. Less people involve the less complicated life is.

hobbes

"Very few friends when it comes to turkey hunting" ??  "Friends don't take friends turkey hunting"??

Are you guys serious?

I mean I like hunting alone, but there is no better hunt to do with a buddy or two.

Some of you guys apparently do a terrible job picking friends.  It sounds like this "rival" thing is a two way street.

I've taken a number of guys turkey hunting.  Yes, I've had to think about who I was taking and not take someone that I knew would be a problem or ran with those kinds of folks, but that doesn't seem to be too hard to distinguish.   I've typically taken them to public spots that everyone else hunts, but some I've taken to "honey holes".  I've not had one of them do anything afterwards that I wasn't ok with.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: boatpaddle on February 17, 2016, 05:48:50 PM
"Turkey Hunting"

One man's game...... :icon_thumright:

By Kenny Morgan.....

Quote from: trad bow on February 17, 2016, 10:00:56 PM
I am what you might call a solitary man and do all my hunting that way. If I want company I'll stay home with the wife. Less people involve the less complicated life is.
Quote from: RemingtonRules on February 17, 2016, 09:25:54 PM
Friends don't take friends turkey hunting.

I guess I fall into this group lol.
I'd rather hunt alone.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

GobbleNut

I have no rivals in turkey hunting.  I'm perfectly capable of screwing things up all by myself! ;D

turkeyfoot

Listening to some of this I must have it golden have made nothing but friends While hunting turkeys never had a rival just good fun

darron

I hunt with a small group of guys and we all understand. If we take someone to an area we have permission to hunt (we hunt all private) you are NEVER to go back and ask for permission. Period. My hunting group use to be pretty big, but now I hunt with 3-4 guys on occasion. I take them and they take me knowing the rules.

Gaining permission to new land in my state is very hard. And when you do gain access typically others hunt it. A lot of people think it is not right to gain permission knowing another guy hunts it. If that were the case you would never hunt private land. I always ask how many people hunt. If it's more than a guy or two I don't bother depending on the size of the property. I just gained access to a 300 acre farm that one other guy hunts. The owner is only allowing me to hunt because I'm a teacher and he was a former teacher as well. In this case there is plenty of room, especially since it backs up to another 600 acres of public ground. I have turned down plenty of spots that were 100 acres or so and they started listing 3, 4, 5 guys. Thanks but no thanks.

Old Gobbler

I treat turkey hunting spots as if they were moonshine stills , ain't nobody's business

Once you tell folks where your hunting all these problems start to happen , moal of the story , don't tell them squat
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 18, 2016, 11:28:12 AM
I treat turkey hunting spots as if they were moonshine stills , ain't nobody's business

Once you tell folks where your hunting all these problems start to happen , moal of the story , don't tell them squat
Very true don't tell folks where you hunt and you won't have any problems.

jwhunter

There are very few people I will turkey hunt with. I prefer to hunt with someone on my level. If I hunt with someone who doesn't have as much experience they better shut up do as I say and watch the show. Nothing worst than hunting with someone who knows it all and has done very little hunting. 1st and last time I hunt with them . Been there done that

BowBendr

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 18, 2016, 10:37:50 AM
I have no rivals in turkey hunting.  I'm perfectly capable of screwing things up all by myself! ;D

Amen to that !
I thought that I was the only one...

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

snapper1982

Mine isn't a rival because I was lucky and stopped it before it happened but I did take a guy to a spot. That night I was talking to him and he said he was going to take his girlfriend to my blind. Unbeknownst to me he had used his phone to mark the spot. I told him no he wasn't as there would be someone else hunting it. That was 2 years ago and I have not shown him another spot nor helped him in any way. We still talk and he asks me to take him or go with him and I refuse.

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 17, 2016, 08:40:56 PM
I learned years ago there are very few friends when it comes to turkey hunting.

Same hold true for deer hunting.