OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

hunting rival

Started by hotspur, February 17, 2016, 04:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

I friend  wanted to get into turkey hunting, took him hunting, called up his first bird.showed. Him some stuff, first season we killed 9 turkeys,thought  I had a good  hunting. Buddy to tag team  some tough gobblers, instead he tries to mislead me, talk me into not hunting areas, discredit. My techniques.. I now have a turkey hunting rival, how about u guys anyone have a turkey hunting rival? Lets hear some stories please

Tail Feathers

I let hunting be about me vs. the turkeys. 
I don't care what the other guys do unless they beat me to a spot in the morning.

Don't sweat the people, keep it about you and the birds.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Mike Honcho

Our local postmaster and I hunted different pieces of the same farmers ground and this went on a couple of years with no problems...then he informed me he was going to be hunting the ground I hunt "because it was close to his house".  He is a native of this area, I have only lived here 8 years so he knew the landowner before I did so no reason for me to complain to the landowner.   I still hunt the ground too but didn't take a bird on it last year due to the extra hunting pressure...in my opinion anyway.

What really steamed me is I got a call from another neighboring landowner I hunt on asking if the postmaster could hunt his ground that weekend because I was out of town...we were out of town and I had stopped my mail delivery for a period of days.  The landowner had never called me before and had no idea I was out of town...wonder how the postmaster knew??????

This motivated me to find more and better ground to hunt which I did so I'm not dependent on the two places mentioned above...and I keep my mouth shut about where I hunt and don't stop my mail delivery during turkey season.

wvmntnhick

I've only ever turkey hunted with two guys. Both are very good friends. Like brothers really. One is a member of this site. The three of us have never hunted together but that doesn't matter. Any time I'm hunting with one or the other, they've probably been more geared towards getting me a bird since they know the lands batter. In recent years, my one buddy and I have started going separate directions but not because of any rivalry. Just makes it easier to hunt separate birds when you're not in each other's laps. He tells me what he's heard and I do the same. We regroup the next morning. If we hear one bird, we get after it together. If not, we go different directions. If we hear multiple birds, we'll split right there and go forth. As for rivals, I've got none in the woods I'm concerned about. Sorry you got burned.

Bowguy

As a kid I took a guy out n showed him a spot Id killed tons of birds. Showed him where they roosted, how to set up, call, etc. showed him where I go n what I do if the first bet didn't pan out. I was around 15 straight opening mornings killing longbeards there. Was a good spot.
That year I called a few birds for him. There were plenty for both but being it was a private farm we only had 300 acres to hunt. So it was limited.
Next spring he calls n says him n his friend put up a blind a couple days before the season in the place I start out.
I was a kid so this naturally irked me. My ex wife (gf at time) n I got there planning to go on the other side of property.,
The fellow wasn't there so we went to my normal spot. At daylight birds were gobbling everywhere. I heard crashing coming from the hill above. It was the 2 guys.
They circled around me planning I guess on a calling contest.
Birds flew down n each time I called the birds answered n the other guys called. Kind of a stalemate. Told my ex to stay put n called walking away trying to draw birds up hill. Birds came to her n the idiots kept following bumping the birds.
While on hill I heard distant birds gobble. Ran down to her, grabbed her gear and called 2 Longbeards to 8 yards. She didn't miss her first bird. Was a great day.
Nowadays I try n have a bunch of back up ideas so it matters a little less. That guy was a rival that day though. Never showed him a thing again

hotspur

I don't feel burned, just wanted to hear about others experience. I still hunt where I want, there are many other hunters  out there . I bunt lease. And public  ground. I love it he is the one sweating, he has become a road hunter. I killed a good one on opening day  public  land last year, I lo e everything. About. Turkey  hunting  just want to hear some stories. Here's. One. Opening  day public ground, trying. To get him his first turkey, ends up another hunter calling. To same bird. We get the gobbler in sight at 50 yards hanged up .. Finally. In range I tell buddy to shoot, the gobbler falls gets back up and flies  right at us, buddies gun is jamed Im looking at him and the gobbler, gobbler flies  past buddy at 10 yards, I swing and shoot  the gobbler. In the head at 8 yards, was to be his first turned out I kill it ???? unbelievable

hobbes

I don't have any rivals that I know of.  I have lots of buddies that I've hunted with and I would put any one of them on a bird and I believe they'd do the same for me.  Besides good natured ribbing, I've been lucky enough to not experience what you have.

tha bugman

+1  People gonna do what they gonna do.  Nothing better than taking a young person on their first hunt!
Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 17, 2016, 04:30:59 PM
I don't care what the other guys do unless they beat me to a spot in the morning.

g8rvet

We have a saying in our circle.  You are "in the tribe" or you are not.  When someone kills from the tribe, everyone eats.  My tribe has family and friends.  I have given info, hot intel, to tribe members so they could kill a bird. They have done the same for me.  Had a guy "in the tribe" lie right to my face about where his Dad was hunting (he was in the tribe, if he would have told me his Dad was gonna hunt where I told him I was gonna hunt, I would not have gone - a friend is more important than a turkey).  Got there where I was intending to hunt and someone had hung their peg in the area I had told my buddy I was hunting.  It was his dad, and he got there a full hour earlier than I had ever seen him get there.  No sweat off my *****.  He told me that turkeys were more important than friends to him, so I took the message.  I have never hunted with him again.  Life is too short to hunt with people like that.

I have hunting buddies that I will take on a turkey or duck hunt.  But they are not "in the tribe" and will not get full information.  I enjoy hunting with them, but it is not quite the same to me.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

boatpaddle

"Turkey Hunting"

One man's game...... :icon_thumright:

By Kenny Morgan.....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

tomstopper

Quote from: tha bugman on February 17, 2016, 05:18:08 PM
+1  People gonna do what they gonna do.  Nothing better than taking a young person on their first hunt!
Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 17, 2016, 04:30:59 PM

Totally agree.....

GSLAM95

My only rival is ol 3 toes and that is all I have to say about that.   :funnyturkey:

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

fallhnt

There are 3 of us who get after em and share info. Well one of us never likes to work so he will share our public land info to others so he gets "free" rides,meals and even has guys buy his permits. So we still hunt together but 2 of us now have new spots that we lie about. It's public land not public info...
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

WV Ridge Reaper

I'll show naked pics of my wife before showing someone turkey land!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy