OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

hunting rival

Started by hotspur, February 17, 2016, 04:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

I hunt with him sometimes, I'm not mad but I can't help but smile when he calls me like he did mo day to tell me he's been  scouting and hasn't seen any turkeys

GomerPyle

Quote from: hotspur on February 17, 2016, 04:18:19 PM
I friend  wanted to get into turkey hunting, took him hunting, called up his first bird.showed. Him some stuff, first season we killed 9 turkeys,thought  I had a good  hunting. Buddy to tag team  some tough gobblers, instead he tries to mislead me, talk me into not hunting areas, discredit. My techniques.. I now have a turkey hunting rival, how about u guys anyone have a turkey hunting rival? Lets hear some stories please

Proper punctuation is important....in fact, it saves lives...

It can mean the difference between "Let's eat, grandma!" and "Let's eat grandma!"
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

guesswho

Rival? No.  But there are a few folks I won't turkey hunt with for various reasons.  I'll break bread with them, but won't hunt with them.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

I don't have any hunting rivals to speak of other than the usual public land stupidity and assorted bs that goes on on the hunting club I belong to. I have found that those type of people are pretty lazy and it doesn't take much to distance myself from them. I do hunt with one true friend  and even though we don't hunt the same style I enjoy the company and he is gracious enough to play by my rules when we do. I can't do the whole rifle,blind thing in Wv even if it's legal. We don't get together to hunt much but I truly enjoy our time in the woods together. I have also had the pleasure of calling in first birds for a decent amount of kids and a few of their dads. Some of those people are doing it on their own now and at their own locations so all is good. I have been blessed and I wouldn't change it for the world. If I call a bird in it's a success whether I am behind the trigger or not. The good memories I have made are not worth being greedy over a bird. I have been treated better than family by my friend and I feel sorry for those who have never had that. With all that being said, if I really want to kill a bird I go solo. No offense to anyone but I hunt better solo. And there is no one their to raz me if I miss.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

cuttinAR

I once took a friend/co-worker to a farm that I have permission to hunt.  Been hunting it for years and have a great relationship with the folks there.  Called him after the first of the year and told him when I was planning to come up in the spring.  He said great, what about the other group?  I said what other group?  Apparently my "friend" gave his number to someone else saying that it was his contact and to use my name.  Without going into too much detail he pretty much stabbed me in the back and violated my trust in him.  We're no longer friends or co-workers but it still sucks. 

Lesson learned for sure.  I will not take another person that I do not have complete trust in.  Never again, no way, no chance, etc.  I can say it is not worth the risk. 

greentag

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on February 17, 2016, 08:04:30 PM
I'll show naked pics of my wife before showing someone turkey land!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats funny right there,but totally true :TooFunny:

greentag

i have one good buddy i fish with a lot,and we hunt together on occasions,we do it like this,if i have the spot then i call,if its his spot then he does, who ever has killed the least birds gets to shoot,or if we go multiple days in a row,we rotate,he shoots one day bird or no bird,the next day i do,and so on,if there two,i get the one on my side and he gets his side.if i took him to a place he understands not to go back alone or to try to seek permission for himself,and its the same if we go to a spot that he has.we only go together a couple times a year,and we always have a great time whether we get one or not.its fun to go with a true friend from time to time,but when it comes down to it,i like hunting alone,and so does my buddy,maybe thats why we never have once had an altercation,and we have been friends for at least 25 years,but fishing thats a different story,i had rather have my buddy by my side,and he had rather take me too.

owlhoot

Quote from: BowBendr on February 18, 2016, 01:59:44 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on February 18, 2016, 10:37:50 AM
I have no rivals in turkey hunting.  I'm perfectly capable of screwing things up all by myself! ;D

Amen to that !
I thought that I was the only one...

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions
Add one more to the list! But also friends , no rivals even though some think they are. Some one else to help me screw up ::) when taking the youth it is all my screwup, they did great.

Cleveland48

I only Turkey hunt with two other people. One is my oldest brother, and the other is my best friend ( honestly he is more like the younger brother I never had).  All bird and hunt info is exchanged between us three. We keep no secrets and it has really been great all these years. If one has been hunting a bird but has to go to work the other will call one of us and tell us where he is and where he was headed before he left. I have hunted with other folks in the past that turned out like some of you guys mention though. It's a cut throat world for some people in Turkey season lol

born2hunt

As of right now I have no real rivals but all could change in a couple months.
Me and a good friend have permission on a small track of land that Ive been hunting deer and hogs on for almost 18 years. In the past 5 years the turkey population has risen to the point that we started hunting them as well. By buddy has took his son on youth weekend for the past two years and had success which has been awesome. Last year my daughter drew a good Quota so I took her there for her first hunt but didn't get a bird so this year is her turn on the private land. My buddy agrees that we hunt youth weekend and they get the regular opener and everyone is happy. Well a while back we had some trespassing issues and called on a local law man to keep an eye on it for us and buddy he did just that, he has now swindled the owner into giving him permission to hunt too. He hunted the end of deer season and has been hunting hogs ever since and that really didn't bother me to bad but I have no idea if he has intentions on going for turkeys. My priority now is go have a talk with him and see what he is planning, let him know what I WILL be doing and hope he agrees to back off and give us our room. If not, well...hunting rival is not even the word for him. 
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

ilbucksndux

I do 99% of my turkey hunting alone. I take my boys. I go with someone other than them a time or two during the season MAYBE.
Gary Bartlow

blackmagic

Quote from: darron on February 18, 2016, 11:02:33 AM

The owner is only allowing me to hunt because I'm a teacher and he was a former teacher as well. In this case there is plenty of room, especially since it backs up to another 600 acres of public ground.

Man, you're lucky.  I have had the teacher card work for me exactly Zero times. (i take it back, i can get into Legoland ::)

wmn2

I'm a solitary person. I hunt by myself. The only person I thoroughly enjoy hunting with is my dad in ohio. That is until my kids want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

sixbird

I learned a LONG time ago to keep hunting spots close to the vest. I only take friends who I know won't hunt those spots unless I take them. Same goes for where they take me. I NEVER ask permission on a place that one of my friends takes me to. It's just an unspoken rule with us...
I only have two friends that I trust enough to take them to my hunting spots...
Had a neighbors son just arbitrarily take over a spot I had hunted for years. He hadn't even asked permission...
I have too few hunting spots to take the chance...