turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best cheap binoculars?

Started by WNCTracker, February 17, 2016, 01:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

One thing that has not yet been mentioned (and I'll exclude the Carlson stuff as I've got zero knowledge of that brand) is that if you're looking at a particular price range, $150 is $150 when comparing apples to apples. For example, Brand X has a pair of 8x42 binocs for $150. Brand Y has a set of 8x42 binocs for $150. So long as all the qualities are the same (coatings, waterproof, fog proof, etc) you're basically getting the same glass. Where people make the mistakes is looking at a pair of 8x42 from two different companies and one is $150 while the other is $79. There's a reason it's cheaper. Lesser quality coatings. Inferior gas seals. There's a multitude of things. Look at comparable companies and prices. They'll all have something with a similar cost with the same qualities. There's a reason. Same with scopes too. Buying a 4-12x50 with illuminated reticle and an adjustable objective for $150 vs a 3-9x42 for $150 with no bells or whistles, I'm betting the smaller scope has much better quality glass. Just saying.

Smooth_Operator

IMO the best glass relative to expense is Zen Ray and Vortex, can't go wrong with either one...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

Cut N Run

I have a pair of Leupold Gold Ring 10 x 25 that I bought 20 years ago that have gone with me every time I go hunting. The optics remain clear, they're lightweight, and they came with a lifetime guarantee.  I have no idea what I paid for them, but before I bought them, I went through several pairs of cheap binoculars that just didn't hold up.  Some leaked & stayed perpetually fogged. Some were never quite right and only got worse over time, and others gave me headaches because of eye strain due to poor quality optics.  It's not like I was glassing great distances for long periods of time either.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure they are waterproof with sealed optics. Definitely check the warranty. It sucks to have some that aren't even broken in good, fail and the manufacturer not stand behind them. I learned that the hard way.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

hobbes

I've not used Carson binos, but I would say the same holds true for the Zen Rays that I've been using for 5 yrs now.

mote1977

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 17, 2016, 01:46:57 PM
I received a pair of 10 x 28 Vortex Diamondbacks as a Christmas gift and have been very impressed with them so far. I saw the 8 x 28's on sale recently for $99.99, but mine were around $140.00.
I have the same ones and I love them. Vortex makes great optics. They have these on Camofire for $85.00.

jamo

tha bugman

I have a pair of bushnells that I have had for years.  Keep trying to convince myself to get a pair of higher quality, but I see just fine with these. 

Devastator

I know 1 binoc or scope i will never buy and that would be Nikon!Just my experience!IM a leupold guy!

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Devastator on February 17, 2016, 05:49:14 PM
I know 1 binoc or scope i will never buy and that would be Nikon!Just my experience!IM a leupold guy!

Oh, there's lemons in every make and model. Make no mistake about that. I've got a leupold scope that's been back twice for fogging issues. Just had bad seals and the replacements were no better. Sent a vortex viper back over the summer for the same thing and a Nikon monarch 3 years ago. It's not just one brand but I totally see how people develop a bad taste for certain brands. I'll never own another Simmons or tasco unless it was one of their earlier pieces that came from Japan or the Philippines.

357MAGNOLE

I use a monocular from Vortex... The Solo R/T

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/solo_rt_monoculars

MSRP is $159, most stores carry it around the $120 range.  I got mine off the shelf at Gander mountain for $54 because they put the R/T model on display at $54, when I asked for a price check the lady checked and said $116 if I remember correct.  I said she could put it back, I thought it was $54 because it was on display.  She checked the display and said it was the stores error, and because it was on display for $54 I could indeed have that one opportunity to buy it at $54.  I was all over it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

fallhnt

Best cheap...are the best you have budget for. Keep em clean and they will give you years of service.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MK M GOBL

So there is a lot to the optics world anymore, been in the business for 25+ years and here are my observations and yes opinions.

YES you do get what you pay for, With that said not everyone is in the market for the "Best" binoculars out there but what's within their budget.

So with most binoculars to really see a quality difference you will double the price to see that difference... pretty much anything under $75... then $75/$150 spend $150/$300 spend $300/$600... and keeps going. An there is so much difference in glass than just putting it up to your eyes.

There does come a point to price as to "where" the optics are made... Hard to say but it's pretty tough to find "Made in the USA" for binos anymore, most of the good stuff will come from Japan, lower grade is in China, Philippines (generally) and the best are coming out of Germany, Austria and such "German Glass". And Just because a certain mfg. is selling they are not always made by the mfg. A ton of optics are farmed out this way and even with some of the big names... research research research. There are also companies out there that do not produce a thing and are nothing more than a (Brand) name.

I do own some very high end glass and some very good glass and used for different things, my everyday "truck" pair ran $600. when I was young and bought my first pair were pretty inexpensive and didn't really work as I had hoped. Bought my first high end glass at 30yrs old and won't ever look back, one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Let's talk warranty, So 2 trains of thought Lifetime Warranty and your going to need it and Lifetime Warranty and probably never going to use it.

So just so you get the idea here if I am offering you a lifetime warranty (less costly optics) and hope you don't have to use it I am "making" these with that intention so the price of that optic I am building that cost into the price of my optics... and some of these can be "replaced" a number of times and I still do not lose money, if you have no problems I'm that much ahead.

If I am making high end optics and know it's unlikely you will ever have a problem with them that is also part of the "cost" and it's also built in to the price but in a much different manner.

It always bothers me when I hear "I bought these _ _ _ _ _ _ Binoculars the warranty is so good" "They broke and they sent me a brand new pair no questions asked, didn't even want the broken ones back" How does this work you ask? There is enough room in their price to cover this "Warranty" their not going to fix them, never planned to and most don't even have a facility to do that. They are considered disposable...

One thing I would also note never buy glass from what it looks like from in a store, I always offer to take a walk outside with several pairs so you can get a "real" view of their performance, I always like early morning or late evening to judge glass. In the store you have so much light from different sources... Also would say look at 8x42's lot's behind this and could write you another page on this but let's just say it is a performance pick.

You may have noticed I haven't mentioned a manufacture in any of this, I will not knock anyone's product I always just offer the option and if asked recommendations.

Now it comes to "your" budget...

For me personally if I were able and the $300 mark is in your budget I would be in a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB "5's" in the 8x42 size. Great glass for the price and lifetime warranty. That's my start point and we get better from there.

So I will mention it now I do own a couple of pairs of Swarovski's and glad I spent the money on these and to my eyes unparalleled by most other optics. 

Well that's my take, if you really want to talk optics PM me

MK M GOBL

VAHUNTER

Vortex produce great optics.
there 100% warranty cant be beat.
I use the 10x42 diamond backs for 3D and the 8X28's for hunting.
Good things come to those who wait

Old Gobbler

I got a pair of Pursuit brand binoculars at bps on a black friday sale for I think 40-60 bucks, normal was 100 , for the price they were real nice , they said waterproof too
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon