turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best cheap binoculars?

Started by WNCTracker, February 17, 2016, 01:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I know you get what you pay for in glass but when you can only get what you can afford that doesn't matter. That being said, anybody suggest a good affordable pair from experience that were worth the dough?

dirt road ninja

I received a pair of 10 x 28 Vortex Diamondbacks as a Christmas gift and have been very impressed with them so far. I saw the 8 x 28's on sale recently for $99.99, but mine were around $140.00.

wvmntnhick

Well, you're right. You're going to get exactly what you pay for. Not knowing what your budget is, there's no way I could possibly give you any idea where to start. The vortex stuff mentioned above is good. If you can find an older pair of bushnell used online from a smoke free environment, you'd be fine. Nikon makes some affordable compact glass but again, you didn't state whether you wanted compact of full size. I've had a pair of Nikon compacts and full size for about 7 years now with zero complaints. I've got an older pair of bushnell focus free glasses at home as well that are quite good. I just stopped carrying them because my wife bought me the nikons. If you're interested in a full size pair of glasses I'd be willing to sell them but I'll have to find them first. Pretty sure I know where they're at. Just let me know.

WNCTracker

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 17, 2016, 01:52:06 PM
Well, you're right. You're going to get exactly what you pay for. Not knowing what your budget is, there's no way I could possibly give you any idea where to start. The vortex stuff mentioned above is good. If you can find an older pair of bushnell used online from a smoke free environment, you'd be fine. Nikon makes some affordable compact glass but again, you didn't state whether you wanted compact of full size. I've had a pair of Nikon compacts and full size for about 7 years now with zero complaints. I've got an older pair of bushnell focus free glasses at home as well that are quite good. I just stopped carrying them because my wife bought me the nikons. If you're interested in a full size pair of glasses I'd be willing to sell them but I'll have to find them first. Pretty sure I know where they're at. Just let me know.
thanks for the info. Cheap is relative for sure. I left it vague on purpose to get a feel for what folks would consider their opinion of "cheap"

PM me if you find them. Thanks

hobbes

I've had pretty good luck with ZenRay 10x42 ZRS HDs.  I picked up a display model of Minox 10x42s for an even better price that my son uses. 

Maybe someday after my kids are out and on their own I'll be able to buy a pair of Swaros.

I know, I hear the just cut this out and you can afford a good pair that will last a lifetime.  The reality is that more important things come up while raising a family for money that has been put back.  One other reality is most folks are running a credit card through the roof and not really putting back.  I've been down that road a short distance and have no intentions of going back.  I'll just keep on with the moderately priced binos.

bbcoach

As stated, you get what you pay for in binos.  In 2014, around Christmas, Bushnell was offering a $100 rebate on their Ultra HD binos.  I found the camo 10X42 Ultra HD's on sale for $199 so I bought a pair.  Best $99 I've ever spent.  Clear, no distortion, bright, no fog and if your not completely satisfied, 100% return guarantee.  Excellent BINOS!

Greg Massey

Midway USA on clearance has a pair of Leupold BX 1 Yosemite 8 x 30 for 90.34 in stock...that's a great price..As for as cheap goes you can get a pair from Harbor Freight 10 x 50 for about 19.00 dollars but you get what you pay for like the others said... I use for turkey season a compact pair of nikon sprint IV 8 x 20 i like the compact because it doesn't add a lot of weight for moving around turkey hunting..

Spring Creek Calls

I'm also a fan of Bushnell, both binoculars a scopes.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

GobbleNut

There are a number of good brands of binoculars available nowadays that have great clarity and durability, and are affordable.  In my opinion, anybody that is spending more than $300 for set of binos is throwing good money away,...unless they are going to be used under the harshest of conditions and for gauging trophy quality at ultra-long range. 

Four brands that come quickly to mind are the two already mentioned,...Vortex and Nikon,....and also Leupold and Vanguard.  And for the money, you can't beat Bushnell.  I'm sure there are other brands that may be just as good.

Often, the inexpensive "off-brands" seem perfectly good if you look at them at the store, but many of those are prone to getting knocked out of alignment quite easily, and also will lose their seal and fog-up under wet conditions. 

Finally, look for optics that have both "fully coated" and "multi-coated" lenses.  Those will provide the best clarity under varying conditions. 

jayjay

I've purchased the Minox BF 10x25 and 8x42 a while back as a package deal, and really enjoy them. I haven't had many sets of binos so I'm definitely no authority on them, but they are clear and crisp to my eyes.  Cameralandny has the 10x25s listed for $70 (salesman special) and the 8x42s as $150.

decoykrvr

Carson makes some of the best binoculars I've ever owned.  The 10x42 w/ ED glass @$250 is comparable in quality, clarity, warranty to binoculars in the $500-$700 range.  The 10x25 VP-025 compact @$115 is a real deal and has optics which rival Zeiss and Leica which cost 4 times as much.  I sell high-end optical equipment and one of the test on quality glass, design, and construction is the ability to be "off center" ie not directly aligned w/ the lens and have no distortion or blurring of the image, as observed when comparing the quality of the optics in rifle scopes.  Several years ago, I was evaluating binoculars $600 and up when an associate returned from an International Optics show in Germany w/ a pair of the Carson 10x42 ED binoculars and they were on par w/ binoculars costing three times as much.

WNCTracker

Quote from: decoykrvr on February 17, 2016, 03:02:27 PM
Carson makes some of the best binoculars I've ever owned.  The 10x42 w/ ED glass @$250 is comparable in quality, clarity, warranty to binoculars in the $500-$700 range.  The 10x25 VP-025 compact @$115 is a real deal and has optics which rival Zeiss and Leica which cost 4 times as much.  I sell high-end optical equipment and one of the test on quality glass, design, and construction is the ability to be "off center" ie not directly aligned w/ the lens and have no distortion or blurring of the image, as observed when comparing the quality of the optics in rifle scopes.  Several years ago, I was evaluating binoculars $600 and up when an associate returned from an International Optics show in Germany w/ a pair of the Carson 10x42 ED binoculars and they were on par w/ binoculars costing three times as much.
this is what I was hoping to hear!  Thanks

WNCTracker

Quote from: decoykrvr on February 17, 2016, 03:02:27 PM
thanks!

ohiomossyoak

"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

redmag

I also have a pair of ZenRays binoculars 8x.  They work well here in the Mts. of WV as range is short anyway.  I think they are kinda heavy.