turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is the worst?

Started by Cane Cutter, February 16, 2016, 10:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catdaddy

One I read on here a while back " I can kill 75% of the gobblers that I hear gobble on the roost at least 4 times"

OldSchool

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 16, 2016, 01:15:39 PM
Quote from: OldSchool on February 16, 2016, 10:36:47 AM
Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but back in the 80's I heard of a 30+ lb gobbler being killed here. Never heard of one that big being taken locally, and everybody was talking about it. The guy that ran the local sports shop had a contest each year and a lot of the guys would bring their birds in to be weighed, whether they entered or not. Pete knew I was anxious to see the gobbler, so he called and told me when the guy that killed the big bird was coming in to have it weighed.

When the guy showed up carrying what looked to be a 18-20 lb bird, I looked at Pete and he was looking at me with a little grin on his face. Pete usually hung the birds by a foot when he weighed them, but this one he picked up by the neck and gave it a couple little bounces up and down like he was hefting the weight. On the second bounce, lead sinkers of all sizes started to fall out of the body cavity and land on the floor. The guy grabbed his "30 lb gobbler", headed out the door and I never saw him there again. ;D

Bob

Guy that hunted with my grandfather legitimately killed a 31 lb gobbler. It wasn't common knowledge until after the fact that it was an escapee from a neighboring farm. It was the last bird that Mac killed before he succumbed to cancer. Everyone was sworn to secrecy and Mac was none the wiser.

As for lies had a guy tell me once he was hunting near a set of railroad tracks. Was calling a bird and as the bird neared the tracks a train came by. He called louder and the bird flew over the train only to land 10 feet away. That's probably the worst.

That was a beautiful thing you guys did for Mac. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

chcltlabz

"never heard a thing in there all morning"

"Birds are done gobbling for the year.  I'm hanging it up and going fishing"
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Swather

I only shot that hen because she suddenly got between the gobbler and me.

snapper1982

Quote from: guesswho on February 16, 2016, 01:26:55 PM
"It's a Jake" 

Best story I've heard in a long time.  Short version.  I set it up for two buddy's who are Undercover Ohio GW's to come down and hunt with me and a friend who has a good spot.  They traded a future Ohio deer hunt for the Bama turkey hunt.  I took one of the UC's with me and he killed a longbeard.  My friend took the other one to a spot.  Now my friend in Bama knew that they were both covert officers.  Anyway their sitting on two different pine trees about 10 feet apart.  My Ohio guy was napping, and my Bama guy woke him up by telling him turkey, turkey.  My Ohio guy opened his eye's, saw the turkey and never raised a gun.  So my Bama guy shot the turkey, which was a HEN ???.  I have no idea how he did that, but then he started claiming it's a Jake. 

So he woke up an Undercover GW and shot a hen in front of him in the spring.  And to top it off my GW buddy videoed my Bama guy breasting out the hen, got him to say his name, date, county and state all while standing at the tailgate with his tag visible.  They still own him and that was five years or so ago :TooFunny:   

Oh no not a couple of crooked ohio game wardens!

tomstopper

Quote from: Treerooster on February 16, 2016, 10:53:31 AM
I promise I won't tell anybody about this spot or hunt it without you.
:agreed:

tomstopper

Quote from: FullChoke on February 16, 2016, 12:52:37 PM
I had a guy try to tell me that he called a gobbler in to him and had an eagle fly down, grab to gobbler and carry him off.

I have heard of eagles attacking turkeys, but never one big enough to actually fly away with one.
Full Choke, don't know if this one could fly away with it but I wouldn't be surprised if it could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp88qOHvc6w

hs strut

i hear the ol i shot him at xx ridiculous yardage story alot. i dont care to hear turkey sniping stories.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

Bowguy

Quote from: JLH on February 16, 2016, 10:19:15 AM
"He was with hens"

That's the go to phrase when they don't come running into your lap....hehe
Awesome!

Rick Howard

I hunted a patch of public land for 2 seasons on a pretty regular basis.  The birds had a pretty regular route for both seasons.  As the season would progress and pressure became greater the birds would move farther back till they pretty much stayed on private land with exception to a small fallow patch. 

I pulled up one morning and while I gather my stuff from the back of the car, a fellas pulled into the parking area behind me.  He proceeded to tell me that he hunts there a lot and the only birds he ever sees were up front.  From my previous experience here I've never seen or heard any sign of turkey where he was claiming but I said that's great that your hunting up front because I'm heading way out.  He tried to reassure me of his helpfulness so I finally old him I will consider his advice.  Little did he know that I rooted a nice Tom the evening before. 

I proceeded with my plan and went to visit that Tom from the evening before.  Got setup and began some soft yelping.  After only a few minutes the Tom cut me off.  I figured I would kick back and relax a bit till he got out of the tree.  Only minutes after that bird gobbled, I see this joker and his buddy walking across the fallow patch coming towards me.  They had went around to the other side of the property to enter from there.  Before they noticed me they started yelping at this bird.  Finally they saw me.  The fella tossed up his hands in disgusted turned and started trying to get an angle on the bird.  Finally they realized I was where I should be and they vacated.

I was astonished at the ploy of misinformation.  The funny part is... Had the fella been honest in the parking area.  I would have offered to hunt, the bird that I spent the time staking the evening before, with him.  I would have even tried to get him the shot.  I don't really care who shoots it, so long as I get to call it and someone gets it.

Long story short, I never got to see that bird that day.  I think they kind of blew it but there is no way to say that with any certainty. 

PASTRUTTER21

I shot him as soon as he hit the ground!!!

SteelerFan

Quote from: Cane Cutter on February 16, 2016, 10:03:40 AM
What is the worst bald face lie you have ever heard in a turkey hunting story?
I don't know about worst...but I'm fairly certain about most common:

Hunter 1: "Hear any birds this morning?"
Hunter 2: "Nope...how 'bout you?"
Hunter 1: "Nope"

I plea the 5th on this

WNCTracker

"It's definitely a 2nd year bird..."

Roost 1

tha bugman

Quote from: SteelerFan on February 16, 2016, 08:12:36 PM
Quote from: Cane Cutter on February 16, 2016, 10:03:40 AM
What is the worst bald face lie you have ever heard in a turkey hunting story?
I don't know about worst...but I'm fairly certain about most common:

Hunter 1: "Hear any birds this morning?"
Hunter 2: "Nope...how 'bout you?"
Hunter 1: "Nope"

I plea the 5th on this

Why do we even ask in the first place?  I guess we think that the person may be a nube that spill their guts.  I had a few folks over the years get mad at me because I wouldn't divulge any info! ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk