turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is the worst?

Started by Cane Cutter, February 16, 2016, 10:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cane Cutter

What is the worst bald face lie you have ever heard in a turkey hunting story?
Bringin tha boom to ya room!

JLH

"He was with hens"

That's the go to phrase when they don't come running into your lap....hehe

GobbleNut

"I called him in by clucking once every thirty minutes,...he came sneaking into my calling."   ::) :TooFunny: :toothy12:

OldSchool

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but back in the 80's I heard of a 30+ lb gobbler being killed here. Never heard of one that big being taken locally, and everybody was talking about it. The guy that ran the local sports shop had a contest each year and a lot of the guys would bring their birds in to be weighed, whether they entered or not. Pete knew I was anxious to see the gobbler, so he called and told me when the guy that killed the big bird was coming in to have it weighed.

When the guy showed up carrying what looked to be a 18-20 lb bird, I looked at Pete and he was looking at me with a little grin on his face. Pete usually hung the birds by a foot when he weighed them, but this one he picked up by the neck and gave it a couple little bounces up and down like he was hefting the weight. On the second bounce, lead sinkers of all sizes started to fall out of the body cavity and land on the floor. The guy grabbed his "30 lb gobbler", headed out the door and I never saw him there again. ;D

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Happy

Depends on who was telling the story. I have heard guys claim about pulling things off that are possible. Just not by them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

stinkpickle

Quote from: Treerooster on February 16, 2016, 10:53:31 AM
I promise I won't tell anybody about this spot or hunt it without you.

True dat.

stinkpickle

"That bird is old because he's smart."

dirt road ninja

I didn't know I was trespassing.

Had another trespasser tell me the truth. Man, that bird was tearing it up over here and I just had to.

FullChoke

I had a guy try to tell me that he called a gobbler in to him and had an eagle fly down, grab to gobbler and carry him off.

I have heard of eagles attacking turkeys, but never one big enough to actually fly away with one.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

redmag

Knowing the sources of the comment, "he was a jake".

OldSchool

Quote from: Treerooster on February 16, 2016, 10:53:31 AM
I promise I won't tell anybody about this spot or hunt it without you.

Yep, that's a classic. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: OldSchool on February 16, 2016, 10:36:47 AM
Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but back in the 80's I heard of a 30+ lb gobbler being killed here. Never heard of one that big being taken locally, and everybody was talking about it. The guy that ran the local sports shop had a contest each year and a lot of the guys would bring their birds in to be weighed, whether they entered or not. Pete knew I was anxious to see the gobbler, so he called and told me when the guy that killed the big bird was coming in to have it weighed.

When the guy showed up carrying what looked to be a 18-20 lb bird, I looked at Pete and he was looking at me with a little grin on his face. Pete usually hung the birds by a foot when he weighed them, but this one he picked up by the neck and gave it a couple little bounces up and down like he was hefting the weight. On the second bounce, lead sinkers of all sizes started to fall out of the body cavity and land on the floor. The guy grabbed his "30 lb gobbler", headed out the door and I never saw him there again. ;D

Bob

Guy that hunted with my grandfather legitimately killed a 31 lb gobbler. It wasn't common knowledge until after the fact that it was an escapee from a neighboring farm. It was the last bird that Mac killed before he succumbed to cancer. Everyone was sworn to secrecy and Mac was none the wiser.

As for lies had a guy tell me once he was hunting near a set of railroad tracks. Was calling a bird and as the bird neared the tracks a train came by. He called louder and the bird flew over the train only to land 10 feet away. That's probably the worst.

guesswho

"It's a Jake" 

Best story I've heard in a long time.  Short version.  I set it up for two buddy's who are Undercover Ohio GW's to come down and hunt with me and a friend who has a good spot.  They traded a future Ohio deer hunt for the Bama turkey hunt.  I took one of the UC's with me and he killed a longbeard.  My friend took the other one to a spot.  Now my friend in Bama knew that they were both covert officers.  Anyway their sitting on two different pine trees about 10 feet apart.  My Ohio guy was napping, and my Bama guy woke him up by telling him turkey, turkey.  My Ohio guy opened his eye's, saw the turkey and never raised a gun.  So my Bama guy shot the turkey, which was a HEN ???.  I have no idea how he did that, but then he started claiming it's a Jake. 

So he woke up an Undercover GW and shot a hen in front of him in the spring.  And to top it off my GW buddy videoed my Bama guy breasting out the hen, got him to say his name, date, county and state all while standing at the tailgate with his tag visible.  They still own him and that was five years or so ago :TooFunny:   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

born2hunt

I get a kick out of guys getting excited about telling a story and say "he was a monster, that gobbler stood this tall" while holding their hand about 5 feet of the ground. 
Now I realize turkeys may vary in size depending on the region,  but only by inches,  not 2 feet !!!
Some guy's just don't think before they speak.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

SteelerFan

"I've got a new choke that can kill birds at 82 yards..."