turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Too faded?

Started by tha bugman, February 16, 2016, 09:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clovis67

Leafy wear...it's the stuff you need to wear when turkey hunting...or any other type of hunting....you can't believe what this stuff can do for you.

grayfox

Quote from: Clovis67 on February 16, 2016, 06:48:33 PM
Leafy wear...it's the stuff you need to wear when turkey hunting...or any other type of hunting....you can't believe what this stuff can do for you.

X2

redmag

That's funny Treerooster.

shaman

That's old Kelly Kooper camo, isn't it?   That used to be my favorite back in the mid-90's. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rbreedi1

If it was me, I would buy another pair. Too bright for my liking and doesn't really blend in
Thunder Ridge Totes

Neill_Prater

Quote from: shaman on February 16, 2016, 02:07:02 PM
A handy tip for faded camo:

Get some green or brown RIT dye and dye the faded clothes.  You don't have to do a fantastic job, just put some color back where it  was ost.  The end result will be the camo pattern will be a bit muted, but it won't stand out as much as it did.

I did this years ago with a couple of pairs of cotton pants, and managed to get a couple more years out of them.

shaman

I just use the RIT Dye in the washing machine.  You start the smallest load setting possible on HOT/COLD.  Put in the dye after the water fills. Then put in the clothing. After 5 minutes of agitation,  I turn it of and just let it sit for 30 minutes or so, and then turn the washer back on and let it finish the cycle.  After that, I do another cycle with the clothing still in on COLD/COLD to make sure both the fabric and the washing machine are cleaned out and there is no residual die.

Old camo comes out muted, but still usable. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

tha bugman

Asked The Boss Hen to dye some rope in the washing machine not too long ago....the expression on her face was priceless....as if to ask...Dear God what is this crazy man going to ask me to do next? ;D
Quote from: shaman on February 17, 2016, 10:10:35 AM
I just use the RIT Dye in the washing machine.  You start the smallest load setting possible on HOT/COLD.  Put in the dye after the water fills. Then put in the clothing. After 5 minutes of agitation,  I turn it of and just let it sit for 30 minutes or so, and then turn the washer back on and let it finish the cycle.  After that, I do another cycle with the clothing still in on COLD/COLD to make sure both the fabric and the washing machine are cleaned out and there is no residual die.

Old camo comes out muted, but still usable.

CrustyRusty

Yep, them too!   :funnyturkey:

Quote from: Treerooster on February 16, 2016, 05:50:36 PM
Quote from: CrustyRusty on February 16, 2016, 05:41:30 PM
I hate to admit it, but I rarely wash my turkey hunting clothes.  It keeps the colors looking good and helps keep bugs and my wife away  :z-guntootsmiley:

What about flys?   ;D

redmag

For Grayfox,   Where do you get the Gamehide that you like?  I've looked and don't see it.   Thanks

decoykrvr

Take the camo clothes into the woods (both in shadows and sun) back up and give them a look.  If they have a light (whitish) effect, it's due to the light knap of the fabric where the camo printing has been abraded.  Dye outside in a 5 gallon bucket w/ RIT olive drab dye in hot water.  Stir it often w/ an old broom stick, then put a garden hose in the bucket drained of the dye and rinse, stirring occasionally, until the water comes out clear.  DO NOT put dye in your washer, your asking for trouble.  I know!!

THattaway

Quote from: CrustyRusty on February 16, 2016, 05:41:30 PM
I hate to admit it, but I rarely wash my turkey hunting clothes.  It keeps the colors looking good and helps keep bugs and my wife away  :z-guntootsmiley:
I get two full days or 4 half days worth of hunting in on a suit of camo during turkey season before they are washed. Scent control ain't a consideration then and the turkeys don't seem to mind a bit.

Movement is probably more of a factor than anything when getting noticed by turkeys but standing out in faded out clothing sure can't help you any. I try to blend in as best I can, if nothing more it gives me a confidence boost. Optimism sure seems to help me kill more turkeys.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

tha bugman

yep thats it!  Its a pair of coveralls I use for general purposes to slide over my work clothes.  Guess I am going to retire them, picked up a pair of Ol' Tom technical turkey pants today that are large enough to do the same thing.
Quote from: shaman on February 17, 2016, 08:20:42 AM
That's old Kelly Kooper camo, isn't it?   That used to be my favorite back in the mid-90's.

Dr Juice

Absolutely. I would invest into a new outfit.

Gobble!