Main Menu

Too faded?

Started by tha bugman, February 16, 2016, 09:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Is this camo too faded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

The question is not so much one of whether it is faded too much to be used, but where you would use it.  It's pretty obvious that it does not blend well with the background in the photo, so if the vegetation where you hunt is consistently like that, I would choose something else.  However, there are plenty of places where that camo pattern, faded or not, would work perfectly well. 

HFultzjr

Does look a bit "brighter" against that background anyways.

wvmntnhick

paboxcall

I would not wear them in that environment.  I had a pair of Woolrich heavy chamois cargo pants in the old grey-based Advantage pattern.  My favorite pants, perfect for cool mornings.  They faded over the years, and had a hen, jake and gobbler come in and bust me immediately - I was set up against a dark black cherry trunk in some hemlocks - way too dark - and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Camo - they make tens of thousands of garments everyday.  Sales across the internet everyday.  Buying new that's color appropriate for your region of the country is cheap and easy way to remove any risk of something not being right.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

stinkpickle

Are you using some fine UV brighteners?  ;)

Spitten and drummen

it does appear to have a sheen to it. remember there have been 1000s of turkeys killed by old men in denim overalls. the key is being very still. I know you know this , but I would probably buy new camo. then again, I buy more for no reason. I think it really isn't necessary unless you have the extra funds. just my 2 cents.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

SteelerFan

Depends on who's asking? If it's the wife? Absolutely too faded! Turkeys will see it a mile away! The more they see it, the harder it will be to kill one. The harder it is to kill one, the more days and days you'll have to spend in the woods trying to fill your tags. To have any hope of killing a turkey, you'll have to break down and at least buy 1, maybe 2 pairs of new pants...

If it's just you asking? You can get by...

southern_leo

I had to fork out the money for bottomland in case they discontinue again. Hopefully throughout the year I'll buy a few more pieces. I don't have any until my order gets here. I'm pumped. Go on Amazon they have good prices on camo if you shop around.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

redmag

Don't get me wrong, I use camo and try to blend in.  Just don't move when they can see you as another poster said.  Doesn't matter he'll see you if he is close enough to pick up the movement and maybe more so if your camo is marginal.  I think some of the leafy suits would work well because if you do move a little it is kind of concealed as natural leaf/bush movement in the breeze.  I know of a few bird that have been called right up to pickup trucks.  Remember the old butterscotch colored Chevy truck?

stringtalker

I use to buy camo year after year for chasing those gobblers. But I don't anymore. If fading is the issue, buy camo that is mostly polyester, it want fade or shrink. But the best thing I have found is a leafy suite. A member on here gave me one and I will never use anything else for turkey hunting
Douglas

shaman

A handy tip for faded camo:

Get some green or brown RIT dye and dye the faded clothes.  You don't have to do a fantastic job, just put some color back where it  was ost.  The end result will be the camo pattern will be a bit muted, but it won't stand out as much as it did.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

grayfox

Gamehide Clever cloth.  Fading problems will be solved.  Been wearing them for both turkey & deer hunting for the past 4 years with no fading & many washings.

silvestris

Shine is what you want to avoid.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

CrustyRusty

I hate to admit it, but I rarely wash my turkey hunting clothes.  It keeps the colors looking good and helps keep bugs and my wife away  :z-guntootsmiley: