turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 935 Chockes

Started by BHhunter, March 30, 2011, 10:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BHhunter

Thanks a lot guys, since finding this site I have achieved almost no production at home and gave up hours of sleep reading all the posts. I have been an "off the shelf" gun and choke turkey hunter for years, but want to put together a 50 yard turkey shredder.
I have a Mossberg 935 Grand Slam Turkey pistol grip with 22" barrel on order. I have read several post on here about chokes for the 835, will these same chokes apply to the 935 since they both have the overboard barrel? I want to try the Hevi 13 loads and as I understand it the stock X-Factor chock that comes with it is not meant for hevi shot. Any recomendations would be greatly appriciated to help me cut down the expense of buying multiple chockes to try. (much more expenditure and I will be sleeping with the turkeys)
One last question, what does IC stand for? The only IC I know of in choke talk is Improved Cylinder.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Good guestions by the way.

Both the 835 and the 935 have the exact same overbored .775 backbore barrels.  So what works for one ought to work for another. 

IC is short for Indian Creek nowadays.  They make some very good chokes.  They are located in Frohna, MO.  I'm not too far from them.  Both Mike and Stuart make some of the best chokes I have shot. 

Your best bet is to try either chokes with a .670 to .680 exit diameter.  Chokes like Indian Creek .675 BDS, Pure Gold .670, or Tru-Glo SSX .670 are all great choices.  If you can locate a Star Dot .676 choke that is no longer made, I would recommend you to buy it.  They shoot very well.  I have shot my best pattern to this date with my Star Dot in a 10" at 40yds with 349 shot.  I did 326 shot recently with the same choke.  The Indian Creek .675 and Tru-Glo SSX I have will put right around 300 shot in a 10" at 40yds with the Hevi-13 3.5" #7 loads.  I have a.670 Indian Creek coming that I think might even beat the .675.  Time will tell. 

The Hevi-13 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #7 loads is the way to go in these guns from what I ahve seen. 

knightrider

ic stands for indian creek choke tubes, i shoot the pistol grip 835 with a pure gold  670 with hevi magblends and get 220 to 230 average at 40, the best thing you can do for your gun is deep clean it and polish the barrel before you even start patterning, it will greatly improve your numbers and pattern. i would start with pure gold or the indian creek either one should give you great killing patterns my gun just prefers the pure gold :anim_25:

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll show you the kind of patterns some of my chokes have shot if you care to see them.

835 28" barrel Hevi-13 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #7's taped 40yds 10" circles on all these

Star Dot .676 choke

Indian Creek .675 BDS

Tru-Glo SSX .670

I hope that will help you see why I like these chokes and that load.  

Your gun should do about the same with a 28" barrel.

BHhunter

Thanks for the speedy replies. This will give me a good start.