turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

removing your barrel

Started by tnanh, February 14, 2016, 02:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnanh

I have 3 scoped turkey guns. Do yall remove the barrel every time yall clean or only when you deep clean and if so on single shots and pumps does it effect POI?
                                                                                   Andy

dirt road ninja

When I had a scope, once the gun was sighted in the barrel stayed on. If your scope is mounted to the barrel then it shouldn't  matter. For cleaning between shots I'd open the action and stuff a rag in it to collect debris and solvent. The gun was also upside down with the scope facing the ground.

davisd9

Just make sure you tighten the barrel the same amount every time and you are fine. I made marks to line up and have never had any issues.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wvmntnhick

Quote from: davisd9 on February 14, 2016, 03:13:45 PM
Just make sure you tighten the barrel the same amount every time and you are fine. I made marks to line up and have never had any issues.

Sent from the Strut Zone

^^^ This.

BandedSpur

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 14, 2016, 03:06:15 PM
When I had a scope, once the gun was sighted in the barrel stayed on. If your scope is mounted to the barrel then it shouldn't  matter. For cleaning between shots I'd open the action and stuff a rag in it to collect debris and solvent. The gun was also upside down with the scope facing the ground.

Got to side with Ninja on this one. Once sighted in, my FF II equipped 1187 keeps its barrel on. No way I'm taking a chance, as tight as my TSS patterns are, with a shifting POI after removing and reinstalling the barrel. You can run a bore snake from the chamber end to clean. If I want it cleaner than that, and I do, I block the chamber with an empty 3" 12 hull with an empty 20ga hull inverted inside that, and clean away with the muzzle end angled downward.

tnanh

Does the tightness of the fore arm screw effect the POI on my single shot. Thanks for the reply.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: tnanh on February 15, 2016, 10:02:37 AM
Does the tightness of the fore arm screw effect the POI on my single shot. Thanks for the reply.

I know on rifles adjusting barrel tension will effect POI, but I'm so sure on a single shot scattergun. If I was to guess it would be minimal at best, but more than likely no. Go try it, and let us know. I've got 0 experience with SS turkey guns.

tnanh

decoykrvr

I've worked w/ several turkey guns that definitely had a significant POI change when the barrel was removed and replaced.  My advice is that once sighted in to place a piece of thick rubber sheet around the magazine tube cap to protect the metal and tighten w/ vice-grips.  Clean the barrel w/ a bore-snake from chamber to end of barrel w/ about 3 passes after each shot and don't remove the barrel until you are ready to re-sight the gun.  My primary turkey gun, an Ithaca Mod 37 Turkeyslayer which has a polished barrel, hasn't had the barrel removed in over 3 years even though I re-pattern every year.  I thoroughly clean the barrel from the bore at the conclusion of the season and have had no degradation of my patterns shooting the same lot #'s of Hevi-13 shells for the last 6 years.