turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SILENT BIRDS

Started by HeavyMetal, March 30, 2011, 08:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyMetal

is there anyone on here hunt around homer louisiana i have had  the worst opening weekend ever the birds have went silent on me any suggestions?
i have been hearing birds for about a week at my lease and now that season is open they have went dormant and silent , anybody else haveing this trouble ? ???

C BIRD

I am having the same problem in Homer. But i did get lucky opening morning in Webster parish and killed a nice gobbler.

HeavyMetal

if you dont mind me asking where do you hunt around webster im from sarepta and have a few spots to hunt around there ?

turkey slayer

Birds are silent here in Benton, Plain dealing, and Rocky mount.

Reloader

Hearing the same story from quite a few guys around North La.  I've talked to some turkey killing machines and they've all said the same thing.  I was pretty lucky on the first few days of the season, but some days I didn't hear birds til late. 

One of my buds sent me a text this morn saying they got a nice tom, but he wasn't vocal.  He was on hens and they just happened to set up in the right spot.

IME when they are on hens, they just don't talk much.  You might have better luck from 10-2, they get alittle lonely when the hens split off late morn.

Good Luck

Reloader

TANK

I know I'm a long way from Homer, but East of Baton Rouge they haven't been saying to much either........

C BIRD

I have a spot around Minden that i hunt.

HeavyMetal

Quote from: Reloader on March 30, 2011, 01:55:55 PM
Hearing the same story from quite a few guys around North La.  I've talked to some turkey killing machines and they've all said the same thing.  I was pretty lucky on the first few days of the season, but some days I didn't hear birds til late. 

One of my buds sent me a text this morn saying they got a nice tom, but he wasn't vocal.  He was on hens and they just happened to set up in the right spot.

IME when they are on hens, they just don't talk much.  You might have better luck from 10-2, they get alittle lonely when the hens split off late morn.

Good Luck

Reloader
i will definatly give that a try thanks for the update

HeavyMetal

i was really beggining to wonder if it was me or if alot were having trouble thanks everyone for clearing this up

HeavyMetal

Quote from: turkey slayer on March 30, 2011, 01:45:23 PM
Birds are silent here in Benton, Plain dealing, and Rocky mount.
i hunted off of mott road sunday morning till 1 and didnt even hear a hen or anything
good luck to you man i will be back at in the morning 

C BIRD

I know where Mott road is. I got a friend that hunts in Carterville.

Basin_hunter

I am well south of Homer. I hunted in the basin area West of Baton Rouge and we didn't hear any gobbling on the roost. I was lucky enough to kill my 2 birds but this had to be the least amount of gobbling I ever heard on an opening weekend. I killed both of my birds after 11 AM. We were bow hunting deer the second week of February in area 6 and they were gobbling then ? Go figure.
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

Tail Feathers

Been mighty quiet in deep East Texas, about 50 miles from Many, LA. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

spursandbeards

same here in south east GA

surehuntsalot

acting the exact same way here in central MS.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase