OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wyoming Black Hills/NW Nebraska

Started by WisTurk, February 13, 2016, 05:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WisTurk

Hey all.  I am going to the South Dakota Black Hills this spring either the 2nd or 3rd week of May and I have gotten some great feedback from some of the members here on the forum.  However, I was thinking of perhaps of stopping over to either the Wyoming side of the Black Hills or NW Nebraska (perhaps the Nebraska National Forest) if I am successful early on with my hunt in SD.  Does anyone here have any advice on where to go or at least have a good starting point?  This is my first out of state hunt, so any and all advice is appreciated.  You can PM me if you, understandably, don't want to give anything out for all to see.  I'm looking to do public land hunts, no outfitters (not in the budget), but would be willing to pay a trespass fee on a piece of private if the fee is reasonable enough.  Thanks in advance! 

Also, I'm trying to figure out the tag situation for both states.  It appears that both are over the counter tags if I'm reading the regs correctly.  Is this true or do I need to buy/apply for tags ahead of time?  And if they are OTC, where can I buy them once I get to either state?  Thanks again for your help/input!

Meadow Valley Man

Half of the enjoyment of a DIY hunt is in the planning.  That includes reading, calling biologists, and poring over topo maps. 

MK M GOBL

Been out to Black Hills and Nebraska a few times and have "filled up" each time out! Licenses were over the counter for where we hunted (public land) and bought a 2nd tag in NE once we filled out first tags. If I were hoping/planning to take 2 birds would have them both in the pocket. Missed an opportunity on a bird and had to go back to get another tag. Been a couple of years since I made the trip so regs may have changed but I have a trip planned for Colorado and Nebraska in 2017!

MK M GOBL

fallhnt

You can buy a NE turkey permit with there mobile app too.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

WisTurk

Thanks for the input, fellas!  I appreciate it