OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

toting turkeys from the field

Started by wlf89, February 12, 2016, 07:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlf89

what do yall use to tote turkey back to your truck after killing one? i have arthritis in my hands bad and cant hardly tote one over my shoulders anymore, after about 20 yrds my hands give out, looking for something lightweight and easy to tote in fanny pack or pocet.

Happy

Here's what I made. Some guys make a sling you loop around his head and feet and carry I'm out under your arm. That may be more what your looking for

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bbcoach

In the back of my turkey vest.  Unzip the side zipper, slip him in, zip it back up and off to the truck.

USMC0331

guesswho

I've used this style for over forty years.   My Dad made me one out of an old gun sling for my first one years ago.   Makes toting one out easy and comfortable, even long trips out.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Mike Honcho

Cornfedkiller on OG sells a nice tote made from braided para cord I think.

Loops over head and feet, carry like a rifle sling.

A plastic bag and rubber band over the head might keep your hunting pants and truck seat a little less bloody!

Learned that the hard way.

Honcho

turkeyfoot

I hunt public Mtn land so the totes and such are of no use to me I have walks from 30 min to 1 and 1/2 hours so they go in back of my vest its easiest way nothing to grip and no flopping around

hobbes

I've done exactly what your arthritis won't let you do for years on short riverbottom hunts to long hikes in the mountains of Colorado.  Without arthritis it still requires switching hands frequently.  I've never cared for packing them in my vest.  I like guesswho's sling and keep planning to build one.  I braided one a few years back but used cord with too much stretch and made it too long resulting in the bird hanging too far below my waist.

Guesswho...what is the length of your sling?

guesswho

Quote from: hobbes on February 12, 2016, 08:15:41 PM
Guesswho...what is the length of your sling?
About 34" end to end.  The thicker center part is 22". 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Vaturkeyhntr

Over my right shoulder!!!  But yea if it's a long walk out I'll usually put it in my vest.

fallhnt

I make em just like the one Guesswho has with paracord.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

wvspitndrum

I use one of the blaze orange bags made by H.S. Strut  , works great and makes you feel a lot better bringing one out on public land . It  works just like a backpack and keeps the blood off !!

Roost 1

Pm me your address and I'll send you a tote with a padded strap.. My grandmother has arthritis very bad so I can relate to your situation...

bunk

wmn2

Quote from: Roost 1 on February 12, 2016, 09:47:46 PM
Pm me your address and I'll send you a tote with a padded strap.. My grandmother has arthritis very bad so I can relate to your situation...

This is a stand-up gesture right here^^^^^ Nice to see.