OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

So where do you have your luck?

Started by MK M GOBL, February 12, 2016, 06:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut N Run

More of the turkeys I've killed have come from timber than anywhere else, probably 60/40 woods versus open areas. I have killed some near field edges & powerlines, but most are in the woods along trails, logging roads, or loading decks. I've primarily hunted two different horse farms for the past few years and the turkeys there like to walk the horse trails I maintain, the same way I use those trails to get closer to them.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

2eagles

Public land river bottoms. Mostly wooded with a few food plots or grass fields, usually maintained by a local farmer.

mote1977

Almost all of my birds here in PA are killed in the big woods. That's where I feel the most at home.

BowBendr

Quote from: turkeyfoot on February 12, 2016, 09:12:58 AM
In my home state hunt Mtns with very little openings so mostly all hardwoods

Yep. Very few open areas and fields where we hunt in NC, kill the majority of our birds in hardwoods.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

tomstopper

Timber but where I hunt here in NY, my go to spots are on a pipeline that has hardwoods on each side of it. Just an absolutely deadly spot....

triplebeard

Vaturkeyhntr

Hardwood ridges mostly.  Have killed a few in the fields, but I'd rather run the big ridges with them.

turkeywhisperer935

I hunt timber and fields but I prefer timber.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: mote1977 on February 12, 2016, 04:13:53 PM
Almost all of my birds here in PA are killed in the big woods. That's where I feel the most at home.
All mine are killed in the "Big Woods" sans blinds and decoys. I cannot recall ever killing a field bird.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

sps20

In the timber. Not much else on public land here in nc. pa.
Just like WildTigerTrout-no blinds or decoys.
Regards
Turk

saltysenior

In S. FL. you had better have some Cypress close by ..

sasquatch1

I've hunted just about all terrains and I'm will be more than happy to kill him wherever he wants to die.

It seems though that they usually don't wanna die when I'm out there lol

Clif Owen

Sounds like my luck!

I nearly always hunt hardwwod ridges with a few areas that have pines. It seems that if I'm lucky enough to shoot, I may as well leave that area alone for the next several years because I never hear another there in that time.

357MAGNOLE

Y'all ever choose between woods/fields depending on what the weather is doing? Wind, rain?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

tomstopper

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 14, 2016, 08:47:40 PM
Y'all ever choose between woods/fields depending on what the weather is doing? Wind, rain?
In rainy situations I have had the best luck in fields or open areas. I believe they can use their eyesight better and also they love to bug during the rain.