OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

When you live in a hotel for a week turkey hunting!

Started by agturkey, March 29, 2011, 11:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agturkey

When you live in a hotel for a week turkey hunting how do you do your meals?  What things have you learned from taking long turkey hunting trips away from home?

kansas hooks

We usually pack a cooler full of food to make sandwiches and you always have to have PB&J.  We also pack chips, snacks, etc.  It helps keep the cost down from eating out all those days.

Basser69

Quote from: kansas hooks on March 29, 2011, 11:52:31 PM
We usually pack a cooler full of food to make sandwiches and you always have to have PB&J.  We also pack chips, snacks, etc.  It helps keep the cost down from eating out all those days.

X 2 unless they have a microwave (yes we have taken one too). TV dinners and tennis ball biscuits will always fill a void also.

Muskie03

Lots and lots of venison. I try to have food to grill. Usually make a trip to the grocery store about twice a week When I'm hunting I camp. When I guide I stay in one of my farmers pole barn/tool shop alongside a Case IH. Go to bed by myself wake up with cats sleeping alll over my air mattress. Jeez, a couple more weeks and I'll be sleeping with the kitties again. UGHH.

Best advice is food you can grill. There are some pretty nice cheap little grills out there that work perfect for trips like that.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

TURKEYWHACKER

I can tell ya what the motel DON'T like ya to cook. The aroma of fried rainbow trout stays in the curtains and rug for a while. Not to mention the crock pot of all day simmerin' venison chili. I think our pictures are posted in the lobby as banned for life. :emoticon-cartoon-012:

Tail Feathers

:groupwave: :TooFunny:
Quote from: TURKEYWHACKER on March 30, 2011, 06:51:06 AM
I can tell ya what the motel DON'T like ya to cook. The aroma of fried rainbow trout stays in the curtains and rug for a while. Not to mention the crock pot of all day simmerin' venison chili. I think our pictures are posted in the lobby as banned for life. :emoticon-cartoon-012:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

870FaceLift

You absolutely CANNOT forget beef or venison jerky!
Pass it on...

shootumindaface

We are fixing to hit the road for two weeks and two of the towns we are in have nothing.. The best thing I can tell you to bring is a small electric frying pan.. From breakfast to dinner it is handy.. Dinner we use it for pre cooked brats, hamburgers etc etc

We also bring a Fry Daddy and fry turkey strips about every other night

One other thing I have been trying some at home and going to bring is the frozen bag meals.. Some are actually pretty dang good, they give you enough for 3 people, there only about 4-6 bucks, and only take a few minutes in the microwave or the electric frying pan..

Sent from my 10 year old Dell using my 2 pointer fingers.

chcltlabz

We make meals that can be frozen and easily reheated.  Lasagna, soups, different casseroles, etc.  They work as ice in the cooler too for the trip.  Always take lunchmeat for sammiches, and stuff you can grab and go.  Frozen breakfast sammiches work great and you can pop em in the microwave and roll out. 
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Preacher

I have tried the hotel thing,  I dont like it,  I try to find a state park with a cabin, or contact the chamber of commerce of the place your staying and ask them about renting a house or even a barn for a week or so.   hotels are so cramped and either you leave your gun in the truck, or take it in the room with you , and I dont really like either option.     Had the local police called one time because a guest saw a "terriost" in camo with a gun going in a room.

Plus one of the best parts of a trip is the cooking , and some fine suggestions have been made , but I like a stove and a real grill.     I will camp before I stay in a hotel.
Romans 8:37

shootumindaface

Quote from: Preacher on March 30, 2011, 09:25:01 AM
I have tried the hotel thing,  I dont like it,  I try to find a state park with a cabin, or contact the chamber of commerce of the place your staying and ask them about renting a house or even a barn for a week or so.   hotels are so cramped and either you leave your gun in the truck, or take it in the room with you , and I dont really like either option.     Had the local police called one time because a guest saw a "terriost" in camo with a gun going in a room.

Plus one of the best parts of a trip is the cooking , and some fine suggestions have been made , but I like a stove and a real grill.     I will camp before I stay in a hotel.
LoL I love walking through the hotel with a firearm and face painted LOL I do feel bad when the boots have 6 inches of red clay on them, usually take them off at the door..

But there is nothing better than tagging out.. Putting on your inflatable swimmies, grabbing your snorkel and goggles and heading to the pool..  ;D

Sent from my 10 year old Dell using my 2 pointer fingers.

Muskie03

I can tell ya what the motel DON'T like ya to cook. The aroma of fried rainbow trout stays in the curtains and rug for a while.

They also don't like ya cleaning your trout in the bathtub or sink. :icon_thumright:
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

bowhunter84

Quote from: Muskie03 on March 30, 2011, 10:12:22 AM
I can tell ya what the motel DON'T like ya to cook. The aroma of fried rainbow trout stays in the curtains and rug for a while.

They also don't like ya cleaning your trout in the bathtub or sink. :icon_thumright:
:TooFunny:

handcannon

As far as meals go in a hotel, if I'm lucky enough to have a microwave in the room I will try to get a few frozen dinners or frozen pizza's for a hot meal at night. For breakfast and lunch I'll usually just fix a ham and cheese sandwich or maybe some fast food if possible. I'm usually looking for something quick and easy so I can catch a nap and get back in the woods.

neal

Crock pot a small  grill and I could get by for months!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.