OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbling

Started by OldSchool, February 09, 2016, 02:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchool

Who here can gobble on a wingbone? I've been fooling with them for years and I couldn't make a passable gobble on one to save my life. I hate that I have to switch to a mouth call to make a gobble when I'm using a wingbone, but it doesn't look like I'm ever gonna get it figured out.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

M Sharpe

Bob, with so many other calls that do it better, I wouldn't even try. Many box calls make a pretty good gobble to me.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

KPcalls

I have a friend from N.Y. that can do a very realistic gobble on a wing bone that I built him several years ago. I can do one on a wing bone are a trumpet but not near as good as his. I can do one that sounds better with my natural voice.

crow

I have a wingbone made from an adult tom that I can do a half decent gobble on,
my favorite wingbone is made from hen bones and gobbling  dosen't sound as good on it.

for most calling I put the mouth piece in the center of mouth, for gobbling I got better sound using the corner of mouth

but I can do a much better gobble on a tube call, and it's worth the extra couple of ounces it takes to carry one.

OldSchool

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 09, 2016, 05:31:39 PM
Bob, with so many other calls that do it better, I wouldn't even try. Many box calls make a pretty good gobble to me.

You make a good point Mark, I just wish I could lol. I do feel a little better about it now. I was half expecting 25 different replies from people that couldn't understand why I can't do it. ;D

Crow and KP, my hat's off to you both. The last bird I gobbled at with a wingbone didn't like it any more than I did. Guess I'll just have to stick with my other calls when it comes to gobbling. Thanks everybody.

Bob

M Sharpe

Quote from: OldSchool on February 10, 2016, 09:36:12 AM

You make a good point Mark, I just wish I could lol. I do feel a little better about it now. I was half expecting 25 different replies from people that couldn't understand why I can't do it. ;D

Crow and KP, my hat's off to you both. The last bird I gobbled at with a wingbone didn't like it any more than I did. Guess I'll just have to stick with my other calls when it comes to gobbling. Thanks everybody.

Bob

;D I can make a fair one, but I'm not consistent with it so I don't use it in a hunting situation.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

paboxcall

:agreed:

A tube call on a lanyard doesn't take up much room or add much weight, and probably the most authentic gobble of any call in my opinion.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

MK M GOBL

I gobble with my diaphragm call, took me a while to learn how to do this and it sounds good!

MK M GOBL

OldSchool

Yep, here we go, rub it in Mark, lol. I give you credit whether you're consistent or not. I'm consistently bad. ;D

Like Mk M GOBL I generally use a mouth call when I want to gobble, but I agree that a tube call makes a nice gobble too. I should probably just accept the fact that that I'm not going to get good at gobbling with the bones, but being the stubborn fool that I am, I'll probably keep trying. It'll keep me out of trouble if nothing else. ;)

Thanks,

Bob

guesswho

When I do it, it's sounds terrible to my ear.   But when I record it and play it back its not half bad.   Sounds Jakeish, but it could pass. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

OldSchool

Quote from: guesswho on February 11, 2016, 04:00:00 PM
When I do it, it's sounds terrible to my ear.   But when I record it and play it back its not half bad.   Sounds Jakeish, but it could pass.

Never thought of that, I may be better than I think... But I doubt it. ;D I'll give it a try, thanks.

Bob

TRKYHTR

I can gobble on a wingbone or trumpet. It doesn't sound as good as other calls that will make a gobble. Here is a little video I did a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpoLeylVpM
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

OldSchool

Thanks Joe, much appreciated. Great job on them all and I know I asked about bones, but I was especially impressed with your gobbles on the diaphragm with your voice added. I generally gobble on a mouth call, but ever thought of that. Guess what I'm doing right now, lol.

Thanks again,

Bob

crow

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 16, 2016, 11:57:45 PM
I can gobble on a wingbone or trumpet. It doesn't sound as good as other calls that will make a gobble. Here is a little video I did a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpoLeylVpM

your voice added into the gobble on the diaphragm sounds good

guesswho

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 16, 2016, 11:57:45 PM
I have tried and tried that Tika-Tika-Tika, and now I'm trying the to-gobble, to-gobble, to-gobble.   I undoubtedly don't possess that ability.   I have a disconnect between my Tikas and between my to and gobble.   For the life of me I can't say them fast.     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff