OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call help

Started by southern_leo, February 09, 2016, 06:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

Mike Crooks @ Spring Creek Turkey Calls has a nice line up of box calls within your budget. You can PM him on here (Spring Creek Calls) or go to his web: http://springcreekturkeycalls.weebly.com/

For fantastic pot calls, I'd recommend Mike Yingling - also on here

tomstopper

Quote from: SteelerFan on February 09, 2016, 06:35:09 PM
Mike Crooks @ Spring Creek Turkey Calls has a nice line up of box calls within your budget. You can PM him on here (Spring Creek Calls) or go to his web: http://springcreekturkeycalls.weebly.com/

Agree with both of these and I will add one more for your pot calls: Wendell Rye @ Lights Out Custom Calls

Cutt

If you want some good pot calls for under 50.00, I believe they are more like under 40.00 shipped? Look into Sneeds Turkey Calls, The Outlaw Hen which is a green colored glass call and the Hot Hen, which is a Slate Call. Very good calls for the money.

M Sharpe

I've read every one of these post on here and everyone has their favorite call; and, that's understandable. There have been many good call makers mentioned here! It doesn't matter whether it's a $40 call or a $200 call, they are not going to make you an expert caller! You are going to have to do your part! You are going to have to learn striker grip, the amount of tension you grip the striker with and the amount of pressure you put on the call itself with the striker. A lot more goes into the sound of a call than what others tell you. Some people couldn't play a call softly if they wanted to. Some calls won't play soft. That is something you are going to have to decide and work on yourself. Learning a call comes from practice. None of them are going to make you an instant turkey killer. Doesn't matter if they are box calls, pot calls, trumpet calls, tube calls, mouth calls or wing bone calls. They all take practice....and not just a few times before the season comes in. No, there is no magic call. I can't begin to tell you how many I have killed with a Primos Power Crystal and a Lynch World Champion. Some of us just have a thing for custom calls!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Roost 1

R AJ

I personally know that SS calls (on this forum) are very reasonable and realistic in sound quality,volume. Contact him and he will help you with solid suggestions.

His unfancy scratch call will be in my pocket this spring and I must have over a dozen different scratch calls.

There are many fine call makers on here and every one that I am familiar with want the customer to be very satisfied with their products. If I buy one it goes in the woods, not on a shelf. Pheasant under glass is a dish but turkey call under glass is not for me.

southern_leo

Quote from: Swather on February 09, 2016, 01:54:36 PM
Save your money by skipping the purchase of a camera and attending the show.

Drive down to Canton, GA instead and see Lonnie Mabry.

Google>whitepages.com--Lonnie Mabry--Canton, GA
Main reason for wanting the camera now was I thought it would be cool to capture my first turkey kill on camera. Also have considered making that drive. I looked him up online.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

southern_leo

Quote from: Treerooster on February 09, 2016, 03:05:09 PM
I would suggest get a call from a call maker you can talk to...decide what you want exactly...and then he will make it for you. Most of these type call makers will give that "If you don't like it you can send it back" guarantee.

There are a number of good call makers that can make a good pot & striker for you for $50...box calls not-so-much.

Austin Hornberger has a short box field call he sells for $50 plus shipping. I got one of his field boxes from him last spring and he made me a great call. I love it. I highly recommend Austin. Austin is an up and coming custom call maker and I bet his prices wont stay that low very long. He was mentored by Ed Terefencko and I think Mike Lapp helped him a little too.

You can check out Austin's site here.

http://hornbergercustomcalls.webs.com/box-calls
Fist time hearing of Hornberger thanks for the recommendation

southern_leo

Looked at spring creek boxes. Heavy consideration there. Almost bought two in the classifieds but someone beat me too it.

southern_leo

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 09, 2016, 07:40:38 PM
I've read every one of these post on here and everyone has their favorite call; and, that's understandable. There have been many good call makers mentioned here! It doesn't matter whether it's a $40 call or a $200 call, they are not going to make you an expert caller! You are going to have to do your part! You are going to have to learn striker grip, the amount of tension you grip the striker with and the amount of pressure you put on the call itself with the striker. A lot more goes into the sound of a call than what others tell you. Some people couldn't play a call softly if they wanted to. Some calls won't play soft. That is something you are going to have to decide and work on yourself. Learning a call comes from practice. None of them are going to make you an instant turkey killer. Doesn't matter if they are box calls, pot calls, trumpet calls, tube calls, mouth calls or wing bone calls. They all take practice....and not just a few times before the season comes in. No, there is no magic call. I can't begin to tell you how many I have killed with a Primos Power Crystal and a Lynch World Champion. Some of us just have a thing for custom calls!!
Absolutely agree. Just want to make sure I purchase a good product. I do like the idea of a custom piece and like supporting other like minded hunters with small businesses.

jepcho

I agree 100%!  Just recently got my first Yingling pot and lot it.  And my Spring Creek box call is incredible, called in an amazing number of toms with it last spring.  Cannot be beat, especially for the price.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Hooks Custom Calls
Pat Strawser Custom Calls
David Halloran Custom calls

There is no one better in mouth calls than Hooks Custom Calls.  Small tapes, high quality components, heck of an owner who will spend a lot of time making sure you get what you need.

I have 3 Pat Strawser Pot calls and they are absolutely superb. Saw him up at the Harrisburg show and snagged another one on Sunday.  There isn't another call maker listed in this thread that is more decorated in the pot call division than Pat. His calls are $60.

David Halloran builds a hell of a pot call as well and has the resume to prove it.

Lots of people will throw out their favorite call companies but what I have learned is that most turkey hunters aren't able to operate a call to its maximum capabilities.  Honestly, the majority suck with a call.  If you think I'm being harsh I challenge you to go to a show and listen to the customers who pick up calls and "attempt" to run them. Their hen yelps sound like gobbler yelps and they have no clue.

Look at who receives awards at the NWTF show and buy calls from them.  There are too many small "custom call" companies producing garbage and selling it at premium custom call prices.

M,Yingling

your going to the convention  man walk around play some calls play hard and soft see how easy they run ,,talk to the makers ,, don't matter if their big name or small ribbons or not  ,, when u hear it youll know what call u want to buy 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Smooth_Operator

Check out Mike Crooks with Spring Creek calls. Not sure if Mike will be at the convention or not but he makes some of the most value packed calls out there that are all full of turkey.  He offers short boxes under $40 if memory serves, and long boxes for around $50. Makes a great scratch box as well, I own a bunch of his calls and hunt them all...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

southern_leo

Quote from: M,Yingling on February 09, 2016, 10:55:28 PM
your going to the convention  man walk around play some calls play hard and soft see how easy they run ,,talk to the makers ,, don't matter if their big name or small ribbons or not  ,, when u hear it youll know what call u want to buy
I'm just new so wanting some direction. And want to make sure I spend time with the right tables. I know I'll overtime amass a collection but just trying to stary off solid. Really want a good call to practice and get good with before collecting more. Leaning towards slate probably. Seems to be easiest/more forgiving to learn for soft and loud calls.