OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call help

Started by southern_leo, February 09, 2016, 06:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southern_leo

So here's my dilemma. MONEY! I have a MAD aluminator pot call but want a good pot call and a good box call. Now that I've been around the forums I'm seeing that custom seems to trump store bought. Give me ideas and let's say price range tops $50ish each. Also looked at zink wicked in crystal. It's not custom but seems nice. Going to the convention so hoping to buy some goodies there. Let the options roll. If it was your money where would it go?

strutnrut

I would go by booth 1214 and see Matt McLain. He builds so jam up calls. Would be a good place to start . Remember there will be some good calls there but there will be some great calls there also. Which one do you want that is the question. I would pm AL from S&S and see if he is going to bring a few calls with him.

neal

Hooks calls booth 324 awesome custom calls some under $50

Another great call maker is Hanks game calls. Think he's in 458
And you'll run across lots of others as well. But I'd check those out for sure and make you decision from there. Good luck I'll be in 324 in the mornings stop by and say hi.

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

southern_leo

Quote from: neal on February 09, 2016, 07:30:55 AM
Hooks calls booth 324 awesome custom calls some under $50

Another great call maker is Hanks game calls. Think he's in 458
And you'll run across lots of others as well. But I'd check those out for sure and make you decision from there. Good luck I'll be in 324 in the mornings stop by and say hi.

Neal

Hooks is definitely on the list. I'm going to buy an executioner 2. Also gonna swing by gooserbat for a bacon. Diaphragms are easy on the wallet. More worried about find awesome pots and boxes in that range.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

M Sharpe

Natural Addiction, Pecker Wrecker and Matt McLain would be three goods ones to check out while at the convention!! Don't be fooled by just how loud a call will play....see how soft it will play and still roll over. Course, that may be a little hard to do with all of the noise you are going to hear there!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

neal

Boxes a little tougher but you'll find some great pots for $50. Looking forward to chatting with you.

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

southern_leo

Quote from: neal on February 09, 2016, 07:51:11 AM
Boxes a little tougher but you'll find some great pots for $50. Looking forward to chatting with you.

Thanks. Maybe you can help educate me on surface comparison slate, glass, crystal etc

neal

You bet!! Be glad to!

southern_leo

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 09, 2016, 07:50:43 AM
Natural Addiction, Pecker Wrecker and Matt McLain would be three goods ones to check out while at the convention!! Don't be fooled by just how loud a call will play....see how soft it will play and still roll over. Course, that may be a little hard to do with all of the noise you are going to hear there!!
Heard of natural addiction not familiar with the other two. What makes these stand out to you?

southern_leo

Quote from: strutnrut on February 09, 2016, 07:09:11 AM
I would go by booth 1214 and see Matt McLain. He builds so jam up calls. Would be a good place to start . Remember there will be some good calls there but there will be some great calls there also. Which one do you want that is the question. I would pm AL from S&S and see if he is going to bring a few calls with him.
Two for Matt McLain so far. I'm not familiar but will be on the list for sure

Swather

Save your money by skipping the purchase of a camera and attending the show.

Drive down to Canton, GA instead and see Lonnie Mabry.

Google>whitepages.com--Lonnie Mabry--Canton, GA

M Sharpe

Quote from: southern_leo on February 09, 2016, 07:54:35 AM
Quote from: M Sharpe on February 09, 2016, 07:50:43 AM
Heard of natural addiction not familiar with the other two. What makes these stand out to you?

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Thundermtn

I've heard a few guys that had Zink's before and after the buyout and they thought the early ones were better. I love my 1st year walnut power hen slate, sounds as good as almost all my customs, don't have any newer ones.

Play a twisted sister if you can. As far as playing goes D.H. calls play incredible, easy to get the sound you want and will kee kee better than all my others.

HookHunter33

Quote from: strutnrut on February 09, 2016, 07:09:11 AM
I agree. I have matt's cherry slate and I love it.

Bowguy

SS makes the cheap talk box I think for under 50. Gotta be honest, they're unbelievable, awesome calls. I believe the field grade which are slightly fancier are bout 60.  Fantastic calls, while you're there grab a scratch box from him if he has any too.