turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which shell/choke 870 youth with 21" barrel

Started by 357MAGNOLE, February 07, 2016, 08:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

What 2-3 types of loads/chokes should I purchase as starting points for finding the best load for this rig?

It's an 870 youth model, with a 21" barrel (not polished yet) and so far I have an Indian Creek .555

Going with a 1x4 Leopold scope. If I can get in the 150's or more with off the shelf turkey loads I'll be happy. If I can't I might start loading TSS which I know is the best route but I would rather not start another load development project right before turkey season. I still have to finish this 870 build and polish out the barrel. So sourcing the TSS, hulls, powder, primers and equipment needs to wait until Summer.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

jordanz7935

Your options are lead, hevi shot,or Nitro's.Hevi 7s or Nitro 7s will give you the best numbers.Indian Creeks warranty is voided using federal heavyweights . I have personally ruined a 12 ga choke using HWs. Guys shooting TSS run chokes from .575-.590. . Id shoot your gun before polishing the barrel because you cant unpolish a barrel and theres no garuntee itll help more than hurt your patterns.IMO, I'd just get out there enjoy yourself and get a bird or two under your belt before dumping any more $$$ in your turkey guns.

357MAGNOLE

Found the info on those Heavi #7's.  Those are some expensive shells! But if I can get the results I am looking for I should not need more than a couple packs a year.

I might pick up another choke/load combo to try as well. But in the few guns I have previously setup the Indian Creeks seem to run the most consistent, evenly distributed patterns.  I figured the .555 was a good place to start.

So the .555 is too tight to bother with TSS? I would eventually like to load some TSS, or try some if anyone here makes them and can sell me a few to try.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Roost 1

In your gun Id suggest a sumtoy .562 and the Fed HWT 7s...The Hevi 7s might work well with your IC, only one way to find out.

Spring Fever

Play with the Feds 7"s this year. U will kill turkeys for sure with it and are plenty enough.
Over the summer get ready for tss, it's another hobby you will enjoy with the kids lol. No seriously it's a blast loading and shooting tss. BUILD YOU A SHOT TRAP.
Buy your shot now though it hard to get later in the season.
Good luck bud

357MAGNOLE

What are some of the chokes folks are getting good results from with the Federal Heavyweights?

I would hate to run them through the IC choke and ruin it.  Another non ported choke should not costs to much and gives me another option for patterning.

I have a carlsons in my old Charles Dailey that worked pretty well for what it is, but its in 12 gauge. Good prices on those.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 07, 2016, 11:44:30 PM
What are some of the chokes folks are getting good results from with the Federal Heavyweights?

I would hate to run them through the IC choke and ruin it.  Another non ported choke should not costs to much and gives me another option for patterning.

I have a carlsons in my old Charles Dailey that worked pretty well for what it is, but its in 12 gauge. Good prices on those.
Like Roost said above.  The Sumtoy .562-5 choke is what you want shooting the Federal Heavyweight 7's.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 08, 2016, 12:31:30 AM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 07, 2016, 11:44:30 PM

Like Roost said above.  The Sumtoy .562-5 choke is what you want shooting the Federal Heavyweight 7's.

Seems like the 21" barrel 870 is putting up around decent numbers with the Federal HW #7's with that choke (only going off the threads that came up in a Google search). I could only find a few threads on it.  The patterns looked good, numbers look decent with a few guns that don't seem to like the Sumtoy. I had one in my SX3 and it just did not get along with that setup. Of course the 870 is a totally different beast and I am open to options but I would love to find a setup that across the board has had positive results. I contacted Sumtoy, will see what he has to say.